Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash ideas for Bianco Antico w Espresso Cabinets

Posted by kitchenrookie (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 18:50

Doing a complete kitchen remodel. Decided on Cherry Espresso Cabinets (yes dark) with Bianco Antico granite countertops (see pic of the type of granite) along with stainless steel applicances and a stainless hood over range, the floor is a light color gray slate porcelain tile in 18x18). looking for some backsplash ideas. I realize the "safe play" would be white subway tiles, however all along in this process i've tried to shy away from being "safe". the best design ideas usually step it up a bit. i really like glass mosaic rectangular)

any and all ideas are welcome. thank you.

here is the picture of the granite (not my kitchen)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash ideas for Bianco Antico w Espresso Cabinets

kitchenrookie - Your kitchen is my kitchen! I am considering the same vision, espresso cabinets with Bianco Antico granite. I have also wondered about the backsplash. I know I can choose the white subway but with a crackle finish mixed with a bold glass mosaic to give it a little excitement. I also considered a backsplash using Tantrum series tiles from Sonoma Tilemaker. They also have great medallions that you can consider. But I want the granite to be the star so I don't want the backsplash to be too bold. I will watch this thread with a great deal of interest! Good luck to you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonoma Tilemakers

o

you have GREAT taste! lol.... but seriously the bianco antico would definitely be the star if we had a big island. but in our kitchen its more the standard U shape layout with no really big island area of granite.....maybe bianco antico can still be the star but the backsplash options are dizzying.

how would u mix the subway and glass mosaic tiles? i dont think i've ever seen the two mixed? maybe a linear design thru the length of countertop?

o

It would really help to see a pic of your kitchen or at least the layout. Depending on the size and the space requiring the backsplash, different sizes of field tile could be used. So, lets assume average size. You can do a subway glass tile in an oversized rectangular shape (let's say 4x8). If you want to add mosaics, you can do a single row, then maybe a 3" strip of mosaics, then the rest in the field tile with a broken joint pattern. Here's one suggestion for field color:

I like the taupe or buffett gray depending on your slab. Then you can do a mosaic inset of your liking.

Another different idea would be to do a "safe" color but in an interesting way. Choose something with somehttp://www.interstyle.ca/img/products/glass/mosaics/icestix/icestixcolors.jpg variation in sheen, texture, color saturation to bring it more interest without competing with the granite. Like this?

The rumble color looks kinda nice. Install either horizontally or vertically for even more "funk".

o

There is a thread by Bellcrest with pictures that will show you an excellent example of a subway and glass mosaic backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellcrest Kitchen

o

remodlefla. you seem to be thinking EXACTLY along the lines i am with color to compliment the granite/cabinets. i like the mosaics in the RUMBLE color.

i will try to scan a schematic of my kitchen but its basically going to be a U-shape with one end of the U longer than the other. the main showcase for the backsplash will be over the range because i have a european style range hood in stainless which should really contrast with the dark espresso cabinets.

o

I may be going with Icestix rumble and was wondering if you finally wound up going with it as well. If so, I would love your input and any pics you might be able to share. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here