Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plants4

whose beautiful wood counter is this (6 glass/white cabs)

plants4
14 years ago

I foolishly copied this picture without noting whose it is! I would very much like to know what kind of wood it is and what kind of finish (and any other helpful information). Any help is appreciated!

Comments (12)

• shelayne
    14 years ago

That looks like the IKEA DIY kitchen. If so, that counter would be IKEA butcherblock.

I am trying to remember the name, something like Mommyof3kids... I will do a search and come back.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Found her! It was posted by momof3kids_pa, and I have a link to her finished kitchen.

It is IKEA Lidingo, DIY. They did an unbelievable job on it! Just gorgeous.

Here is a link that might be useful: momof3kids_pa's kitchen

• momof3kids_pa
    14 years ago

OMG! That's mine!!

Yep, it's Ikea lidingo 12" deep cabs with numerar oak butcherblock. The bb we are just using mineral oil, but it does get dry pretty quick. We don't cut on it so at some point I may switch to something more permanent - like polyurethane or something.

BUT, I am super bogged down working on my SECOND kitchen (diy ikea) at a lake house we bought two weeks ago! I have not been around much here at all. But I can't wait to show you guys... we did an entire kitchen in one weekend!! Of course, I forgot my camera, but next week I'll try to take some shots.

But thank you, fern, you made my day! I'm tickled knowing someone bookmarked a pic of my kitchen!!

• plants4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Shelayne and Momof3kids! That looks like the perfect solution to my situation. I love the wood glow of that countertop!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

momof3kids_pa, how do you find the 12" drawers? Are they deep enough to be useful?

• momof3kids_pa
    14 years ago

writersblock, I find them useful to the extent that they are used as a hutch. In the drawers I have: hot pads, table cloths, cloth napkins, placemats, candles. In the middle, shelved cabinets on the one side I have all my alcohol, wine, etc; the other is serving baskets, and lots of candle holders etc. So they completely serve their purpose in my dining room area. I would not recommend them for regular kitchen cabinets.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Thanks momof3kids_pa. So they do have enough room for a placemat to like flat? I currently have a wall of narrow base cabs (not ikea) in my kitchen, but the drawer mechanism takes up so much space there's really not enough room for a placemat unless it's rolled up. I know ikea drawers are better designed.

• momof3kids_pa
    14 years ago

No, my placemats are rolled up. They are not deep, but I specifically chose them because I did not want to take up valuable floor space with a 24" depth cabinet.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Thanks again.

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

fern - I am so glad you posted this because I totally forgot about this beautiful kitchen. I going the IKEA route as well and I am also removing a wall. This was a great kitchen to show DH and definitely something to aim for. Amazing job momof3kids.

• dinkledoodle
    14 years ago

momof3kids_pa, I love your kitchen. It is so warm and cozy. It looks modern, but at the same time like it has always been there as part of the house. Your kids will have lovely memories.

• reedrune
    14 years ago

Writersblock - I thought I'd chime in re. the 12" drawers from Ikea - because of our strange layout we have almost all 12" deep drawers. I was concerned that I'd hate them, they generally get negative reviews here and at Ikeafans, but there was no room for deeper ones.

Turns out, I love them. I keep my utensils, glasses, wraps, snacks, dog stuff and energy bars in 24" wide ones and napkins, tupperware and assorted desk-type items in 15 and 18" wide ones. Of course, it'd be nice to have the deep ones, but I'm SO glad I went for the drawers over cabinets - it's so much easier to find things in drawers in lower cabinets!

One weird thing - a lot of my friends yank pretty hard when opening, expecting the drawers to be longer. I haven't had that problem, but occasionally friends do!

and Momof3kids - beautiful kitchen - we just finished our own lidingo kitchen, beadboard splash and butcherblock counters! We love it! I still love to see other lidi kitchens! There aren't TOO many pics out there - everyone seems to go for Adel medium brown!

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design