Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jckgmk

Trying to finalize layout and need help part 1 of 4

jckgmk
10 years ago

I have posted a couple times and thank everyone who took the time to respond. We are taking down a wall oven/cooktop wall and adding an island, making an L shaped work space with cooking, sink, DW, and refrigerator along the L. Nothing on the island counter--will be used for prep since it is a small kitchen and island is accessible from all perimeter counters. One idea I had early on was to use a wall oven but to raise it off the countertop 12" (7" higher than range, 7" lower than my current wall oven). We are getting on in years and worry a range will be problematic. My KD thought it would look odd so we dismissed it and after mulling over a cooktop over wall oven arrangement, ended up with a 30" range in the layout. Until this weekend when I read an article about people wanting to age in place and offered design suggestions how to do that--one being a raised oven. So, I went back to the drawing board and created a layout using this idea.

I now have three layouts I would like feedback on--all have pros and cons and may have hidden problems only an experienced person can see. I am going to post in 4 messages because I have yet to figure out how to upload more than one image at a time.

This first one is the general lay of the kitchen and dining area. We are adding a built-in hutch in the dining area and a cabinet under the bay window. The room will now open into the family room area.

Again, thank you in advance for advice and counsel.

Comments (8)

• jckgmk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Part 2--This layout is with the raised wall oven and cooktop. I have two concerns with this--1) the oven being so visible from everywhere and 2) the perimeter counter space becomes almost useless. I could not depict in the drawing the upper cabinet/drawer would only be 12" so there would be about a 13 1/2" counter top on above the oven.

This post was edited by jck67 on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 1:03

• jckgmk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Part 3 of 4--This layout is with a 30" range. Wall and base cabinets are symmetrical--25". I am a little worried 25" drawers with 21 9/16" usable space will be not enough to store pots/pans/etc.

• jckgmk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally, this layout takes into account my concern about opening doors next to the range into the hood and my face (I was told in my previous post it is not a problem so may have moved on from this). It also has a customized hood 34" over a 30" range--I am not sure if this size is even out there and if it is, at what price.

So, anyone interested in providing feedback on these layouts--have at it. I hope to meet with my KD this week to finalize the layout and move on to lighting, backsplash, and other fun things.

• Passel
    10 years ago

Are you really willing to deal with an oven under counter level with the range layouts? I am having similar concerns with our layout and recently tried to read the panel of a range and was immediately frustrated at the bending and squinting. I don't think the handling of the pans would be as difficult as reading the controls. I like the look of the layout with the range.

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

As one who has an aging mother desperately trying to maintain her independence in her own home following a stroke and subsequent broken hip, I think your desire to design a kitchen that works for you as you age far outweighs any concerns how it "looks". What I don't see in any of your layouts is the microwave location. Often times older folks more and more will rely on heating up microwave meals and/or leftovers instead of daily cooking in an oven/range. I would do your raised wall oven as in your first picture and then have a shelf above where you could put in a counter top microwave (not a built-in with trim kit) it would look and work well for you; however, I would reduce your cooktop to 30" to allow for wider drawers.

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

As one who has an aging mother desperately trying to maintain her independence in her own home following a stroke and subsequent broken hip, I think your desire to design a kitchen that works for you as you age far outweighs any concerns how it "looks". What I don't see in any of your layouts is the microwave location. Often times older folks more and more will rely on heating up microwave meals and/or leftovers instead of daily cooking in an oven/range. I would do your raised wall oven as in your first picture and then have a shelf above where you could put in a counter top microwave (not a built-in with trim kit) it would look and work well for you; however, I would reduce your cooktop to 30" to allow for wider drawers.

• jckgmk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great minds...after I submitted the layouts, I realized I could enlarge the area left of the cooktop to 21" by reducing the cooktop/rangetop size to 30". We have a 30" cooktop now and were hoping to enlarge to accommodate multi pot cooking. However, I realized the cooking space on my current top is only 22" because of side controls and a range or rangetop with controls in front would give at least 5 -6 more so should be fine.
    I do think as we boomers age, more of us will ponder how to maintain our independence. As for the microwave--I do not use one. I had one but found it to be more of a nuisance than a help. I have been told I will never be able to sell my house without one but using your idea, the next owners could modify that area.

Thanks for the encouragement.

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

If you opt for that, the main thing would be to put in the electrical plug in the cabinet. Alternatively, it could be used for a toaster oven or other appliance, with doors that slide inward to the sides so the contents are not visible when not in use. As you do not use a microwave, you could store other items there, but if/when you do sell, the spot would be there and next owners will not have to put one on the counters as there really is not room for one. Just talk to your KD to make sure the shelf is deep enough to accommodate a standard sized counter top microwave.