Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Island Shape Help - Pics please!

Posted by KitNovice (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 18:44

Hi all,
I'm planning a kitchen island with seating on two sides. The island countertop will be 41" by 77". I'm having a hard time envisioning a shape for the island countertop. I'm trying to dress it up a bit without being too formal. I also want to maximize seating as best as I can. I don't want legs or corbels. I was thinking about just having a slight curve on the longer edge of the island, but now I think I want something more. Does anyone have any good websites to search for island countertop shapes? I'm not having much luck (houzz, pinterest, etc). If anyone has pictures of their island, that would be fantastic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Island Shape Help - Pics please!

My island is shaped like a quarter of a circle - not exact but very close. I have usable cabinets on 2 sides. Looks like something similar would work well in your space. You have a large aisle on the top, so I'd make the island a bit deeper there. I have no legs or corbels, but I do have a steel plate that my contractor had custom cut that sits on the cabinets and supports the center section of the arc.

o

Not sure if this will help, but here's a picture of the end of our peninsula, while we were still in the construction phase. It's a gradual arc. We like the look, and it gives just slightly more space for a stool underneath.

I think an island with this shape at both ends, or with square ends and a graceful arc on the long side would look lovely in your space.

IMG_1645

o

o

Ours is a peninsula instead of an island but you could do the same thing on the end. My husband drew the template, cut it out and gave it to the granite guy.
I don't like the way they've resized the pictures here :)

o

I remembered your thread when I stumbled across this HGTV website with a ton of different kitchen island shapes. I thought someone might be interested in seeing it!

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV island shapes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here