Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stained wood trim and interior doors-should I paint white?

Posted by debpic1 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 18:29

Hello All-Our home is a one story w/stain wood trim and doors. The kitchen remodel will be a medium stain either cherry or maple wood however I want to have white trim on the baseboard etc. Is it too difficult to paint all the trim including windows and doors? Does leaving the stain trim date the house? House is not large but trim is everywhere.......do I do the living room, den etc.? Thank you for your help and thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stained wood trim and interior doors-should I paint white?

I prefer to have the whole house match in terms of trim and interior doors, but in older homes, it was a normal thing to have the woodwork in private and utilitarian rooms, like the kitchen, painted, while the woodwork in the public, more formal rooms was stained. You haven't said what color stain it is, but stained wood trim shouldn't date a house on its own. People certainly still put wood finished trim in newer homes. I also don't know what style or how detailed your trim is, but think it would be a big job to paint it all. (Sand, prime, and paint...best done after removing it)

Hope this helps.

o

I concur with rhome410 that a stained trim will not necessarily impart an old look to your room. The sense of age comes more from the profile and proportion of the pieces than the colour.

This is one of those things that it might make sense to look at on Photoshop before you do anything permanent. It is difficult to completely strip paint from trim. It will take many hours and if you are paying someone to do it, it is almost always cheaper to replace the trim than to refinish it.

If you end up replacing it, you're not likely to be able to match the patina of whatever is currently there.

Good Luck :)

o

I think it depends. I have been in very old homes where I'd expect to find stained trim - craftsman style homes for example. I've also been in newly built homes with lovely stained trim which looks modern because of the trim shape, color (very dark or very light), and finish.
However, I have also been in homes (like mine!) where the trim looks dated because the height isn't good, they're beat up and dull, and orange-looking! It screams 1988. We are considering painting our trim or replacing where needed when we do our kitchen remodel. I wouldn't have any qualms about covering up this type of stained wood trim. It's not in good shape and doesn't look good!
I'd say if you're in a position like I am, where your trim is outdated looking, I'd paint!

o

If you want to paint the trim, I would tell you to go for it. I have painted the trim in two houses now, with NO regrets. It does take work, but the results of white trim are worth it. My personal opinion is that it makes any paint color look better, and therefore the house look better.
Plan on 4 coats of paint - two of a good primer, and two of the trim color in a semi-gloss. Good luck!

o

I've also painted old stained trim with no regrets. I did not strip it all (tried at first, but it was very aged and too difficult even with chemical strippers and heat guns!)- I simply sanded and used high quality Ben Moore primer and paint with excellent results.

I personally much prefer white-painted trim to stained, UNLESS the house is of unusually high build quality. I come from a family of architects so am probably a bit overly-sensitive to proportion and design, so YMMV... but I feel like stained trim really calls attention to each element: doors, windows, baseboards, crown moldings are all brought into high contrast with stain and their placement and proportions become important design elements in a room. If they were well and thoughfully designed originally, that can be a beautiful thing. If not -I'd paint them. Our last house was a 1926 Foursquare. it was definitely much better built than most homes today, however, it was probably a Sears kit house originally, basically a builder-home from that era. i.e. not architect-designed like the previous Victorian I'd lived in. It had stained fir trim (with nice details) throughout, and DH and our friends thought I was crazy to paint it. Guess what? The house looked SOOO much better after I did. It actually became a much classier-looking house. The dark wood around doors and windows -which had been placed pragmatically rather than for aesthetics- made the house seem a bit akward. The white paint allowed the really GREAT elements in the house, like it's gorgeous birch floors, ample sunlight and great "flow", to really shine.

Just my 2 cents!

o
Painted trim pics:

Before, stained fir trim:

After painting Ben Moore White Dove. We did leave the inside of the orignal front door natural, as well as the hall side of the upstairs interior doors. All else got painted:

o

We are slowly painting our trim white and adding crown molding in our 1920s colonial and are loving it. We will skip putting crown in the bedrooms because the ceilings are lower in those rooms. I still need to get more recent pictures of the kitchen renovation but here goes. Most people (who knew the house before painting) walk in and love it but I have one friend who likes the historicness of things who is horrified. We love it and that is what matters.

Old kitchen / dining room without trim painted:

Newly painted kitchen / dining with trim painted:

o

Staceyneil, you made my day. Our 1927 tudor revival has all gumwood trim. Unpainted throughout. The kitchen has some lovely gumwood but the lower cabinets are just beat up and awful. The window matches in color but it is stained - pine. I really want white perimeters with some cherry tall pieces and island and painted window trim. The male members of my household are card carrying members of the wood police and just do not get it. I'm convinced I can do the kitchen I want without "ruining" the house. My new white bathroom is a joy and I want the kitchen to be a joy too but the house -- what does it want?

o

Sayde-
My DH was also pretty adament about the wood remaining natural... in fact it was one of the things he loved about the house at first. But I had 'architect's daughter' in my hand which trumped any of his arguments. He let me do it (though did not help if I recall) and afterwards admitted that it looked ever so much better. I certainly wouldn't paint trim in, say, a Frank Lloyd Wright house, but if it's simply unpainted wood in an average home from a period when trim was stained, not painted.... I'd go for it. (In 50 years will it be bad when people remove or paint over 70's stained knotty pine or even faux wood paneling, or will everyone tell them to leave it because its historically accurate?) If the wood is enhancing the house, as in an exquisite craftsman home, leave it. If not.... and you prefer it painted... I say paint it.

o

My home was built in the 80's and had very dated thin beat up baseboards and flat paneled doors. So no worries about preserving character there. We replaced them with our kitchen remodel. My wood loving husband wanted all stained so we compromised. It really lighted things up. I agree that stained wood does not date a house but thin beat up trim does. My windows are still stained. I think it is just a matter of preference. Hope these help.
before
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Cat_mom should chime in. I think her trim is white and doors stained.

o

Doors and door jambs are stained, base molding is white.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here