Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Rocks #4 marble, granite, quartzite

Peke
10 years ago

Karin, I looked for #4, but couldn't find it.

Kksmama, your slab will look wonderful. I can't wait to see it.

Am I still in last place? I haven't had time to look at slabs lately because of American Range oven issues. It will probably blow my house up then I can start the remodeling process all over again. Maybe I should find a cave to live in. Go back to simpler times. ðÂÂÂ

Warming drawer and microwave drawer were delivered. I guess my cabinet guy did me a favor by not finishing my kitchen. I had time to redo the island plans. Now if I could just get him here.

So if I take the Sea Pearl I will have to totally change the colors I wanted to use. No blues. ðÂÂÂ

If I take the Sea Pearl I will have to settle for a bridge on the back of the rangetop. There will not be enough slab to leave it in one piece. Will this be strong enough to support the Bluestar range top? It is pretty heavy.

My only other choice is to make the island smaller. Much smaller! I need the storage and prep space though.

What does everyone think about the bridge? Yes or no?
Peke

Comments (150)

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Magnetic! Karin, what do you think of this?

My counters have a few tiny flecks of metal in them, some silvery, some gold/copper colored. The surface is very solid, doesn't appear at all flaky and doesn't seem to have been resined or to have any permeability. But today my kid notices that the overhang is weakly magnetic! Fridge magnets and bag clips with magnets don't stick but this stronger cube magnet (part of a fun toy, Aaron's thinking putty) does! Picture of underside

closeup of polished surface, see small lateral lines below reflection of light

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Yup, that makes sense. The metallic-looking coppery or silvery bits are likely not metal, but rather mica flakes. But your rock contains iron-rich minerals which is why it has that dark color.

Of course, a rock that is "rodded" with rebar inside it would also be magnetic, but only in those areas.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Fascinating! Rocks are SO cool! The magnet is pretty equally attracted in all area of the overhang, though the chunky white parts (quartz, right?) don't attract it. There aren't any rods.

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Right!
    The white parts are quartz and feldspar - actually it looks like mostly quartz or all quartz in your case. Nice work!

Agreed: rocks are cool! :)

• kksmama
    10 years ago

How funny is this? The slab yards make up names but nothing as descriptive as "s'moresite". http://youtu.be/pg_jKJFbA2A

The linked one is not as funny, but I learned something. And think "lasagna" is a gneiss name ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Geology kitchen

• anjn
    10 years ago

karin_mt, thanks for all your advice and expertise! I've been following these threads and have learned so much from you.

I have a question about the "glass test." None of the stone yards I've visited are willing to give me samples of the actual slabs I'm considering. But, I have gotten samples of the same granite / quartzite type (e.g., old samples of Super White or Lorena White they had lying around). I've broken those samples and been able to scratch glass with them -- but, they've also ALL etched when I did etch tests.

It does seem, however, that they did not etch as much as marble (I tested a piece of marble along side). So, can I conclude that a) just because a stone scratches glass does not mean it won't etch but b) if it does scratch glass but later etches, it probably won't etch as much as marble?

Thanks for your input!

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Hi Anj,

Sorry for my slow response, I haven't been around much over the holiday.

Good for you for doing your research and getting samples. However, it's not normal for a rock to be able to scratch glass and also be etched. Usually it's one or the other, or there is some other unusual factor. Some possible explanations:

- Are you sure the samples are really scratching the glass? Most rocks will leave a trail of some sort on a piece of glass, but you'll need to rub your finger on the glass to see if there is an actual, permanent gouge.

- Is the piece of glass you are using coated in any way such that the samples might be scratching the coating and not the glass itself?

- Were the samples sealed? Is it possible that what looked like etching was actually something going on with the sealer?

Marble usually does etch worse than Super White, which is often a dolomitic marble that is a tiny bit more resistant to acid. So that part of your result makes sense.

Report back with more info and I might be able to help.

Good luck!
    Karin

• Andrea01
    10 years ago

Hi Karin - I just found all the posts regarding super white and have spent the last 3 hours reading. I had beautiful super white supposedly granite counters and island installed a couple of weeks ago. While installing a glass tile back splash a 1 inch by 1 inch glass tile fell about 2 inches to the counter top and the tile broke leaving 3 marker tip size dots on the counter where the stone seems to have chipped out. I thought to myself that this should not happen if this is actually granite. Then a couple days later we had a fruit basket on our island and one of the pieces of fruit had rippened and dripped down onto the counter and dried. I used the cleaner the installers had left and even with much cleaning it left almost a finger print type mark. I should mention that we had them honed and sealed (supposedly with a 15 yr warranty from etching or staining). After reading all of these posts I remembered I still had a sample of the super white and so I took a fairly dull steak knife and it easily etched/cut into the sample (I was horrified thinking of my boys who have made comments about how they no longer will need cutting boards - OMGosh - I will die if my counters look like the sample). In any case the sample has rough edges so I grabbed one of my left over glass tiles and although I had to apply some pressure it did leave a scratch on the glass and one particular rough edge of the sample was able to dig into the glass. So I'm confused as to what I am dealing with - aside from a beautiful super expensive kitchen waiting to become a full on disaster once my 6 children start to fully use our newely remodeled kitchen. (I might also add that the fabricator broke 3 slabs through this process and mentioned that they have had many issues with breakage when dealing with this stone). Any advise you can give is much appreciated. I am not sure how to upload photos, but my super white is identical to the others that have been pictured.

• ssdarb
    10 years ago

My white macaubus quartzite was just installed and I love it! Here's a photo.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

oMG Strayer, its fabulous! I've been wondering how your project was coming, at one point I almost had some very similar elements as you I think. Was it you that had the steel gray leathered on the perimeter with the white mac?
    congrats on that island, its really beautiful

• ssdarb
    10 years ago

Thanks!! On the perimeter it's leathered antique brown. The stone shop called it "Marron Cohiba."

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Hi Andrea,

Uh oh. It does sound like you have marble not quartzite. On your sample, try some lemon juice and see what happens. I'm surprised that it scratched glass but all the other attributes sound more like marble than quartzite. It's not "granite" no matter what.

But try the lemon juice or vinegar, especially on an unsealed part of your sample, then let me know what happens.

Strayer, that island is lust-worthy! You must be thrilled. :)

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Hi Karin, I have purchased my slab of Magma Gold and thanks to you, I know that it is a gneiss! A poster on my original thread said she has this stone, sold as Cosmos Gold, and that there were lots of fabrication issues with this stone. I have read ALL the threads/info I can find on Magma Gold and Cosmos Gold and I am still confused about whether or not these are the same stones. I had previously read about Cosmos Gold being soft and I asked at the stone yard about this and was told that my slab is not the same as Cosmos. He showed me a Cosmos Gold slab which had very similar colors, but not the same linear movement as my stone. He also said that my granite was originally named Sedna, but that the name was changed to Magma Gold when the quarry in Brazil was sold to an Italian company. It has only been available for a few years, since 2007 I think. So what do you think, does this Magma Gold have the same difficulties as Cosmos Gold? Or is it a completely different stone as I am being told? Thanks!

• Andrea01
    10 years ago

Karin - I didn't have a lemon so I used a lime. I am thinking that it should be about the same? In any case I put the juice on the sample, which has a honed finish and was sealed to supposedly prevent it from etching. Above the lime juice mark you can also see the cut marks from the dull knife I used. I also tried vinegar both on a cut line and not (it did not bubble when applied, but it did etch it, although not as bad as the lime). I also tried hot sauce, red juice, ketchup and jelly. All left etching, hotsauce and lime juice the worst and the hotsauce stained terrible on one of the cut lines.

• Andrea01
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of our finished kitchen with the super white. Our biggest issue now is how to proceed? We have 6 kids ranging from 2-14 and our goal in our kitchen remodel was to have a beautiful family friendly kitchen. I can live with some wear and tear, but if my counters end up like the sample I might have a break down :( We had to pay for half up front and haven't paid the remaining balance. I should also mention that while the island slab is an original pick the counter is not. When they installed the counter slab I noticed a crack completely through it that they had filled - it looked like they used white out. I called for an explanation and found out the slab I chose broke during fabrication. They picked another slab they thought matched, however it also broke during fabrication as well, but they said that filling it and installing it was acceptable. The break line was filled with what looked like white out. In addition I was told by another granite installer that it goes against industry standard to install granite that has broken all the way through. If it is a fissure crack it can be filled and still installed, but with a complete crack it isn't supposed to be installed. Anyone else hear of this? So that said we got them to agree to install a new slab - which is the one currently installed. Once it was in and the tile was done we were washing the counters and noticed that they filled a break in front of the sink. I have no idea how how much this weakens the counter. If it truly is industry standard to not install a broken slab then this slab shouldn't have been installed either. Bottom line though is that we thought we purchased granite that would hold up to our kids use and this obviously isn't going to withstand staining, etching and probably breakage. I need opinions on how to proceed...do we ask for our money back? I don't know if they will want their counter back if they refund us, but we will have to pay for re-tiling and plumber again (for the 3rd time). I'm not even sure if they will give us our money back. We definitely won't pay the remaining half of the bill, which would be a good deal if we wouldn't ultimately need new counters, but I don't think these are going to hold up. Suggestions? Also, I love some of the pics people have placed of their quartzite - would the be a better option than granite as far as durability?

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

Andrea, that is heartbreaking! I can offer you more sympathy than advice. Your kitchen looks gorgeous! I agree it has to have the function you want for you to have peace of mind. I had some small issues at my vacation condo and the guys came back. They actually replaced my master bath marble with a granite, because the fill was coming off at the first washing. I think it depends on the integrity of the company. You do need to communicate what you want them to do. We also paid half up front. After they replaced the master bath counter, we paid everything but $2K because they needed to send a "finisher" out to work on the fusion in the guest bathroom. My sister was there and she said they did a great job. I do love the quartzite in the kitchen. We entertained a lot over the holidays. So far no problems... I am going to post a reveal one of these days. Our furnace broke last week and a pipe burst, so we've been busy. All is fixed, so I will figure out how to do that. Best of luck Andrea!!! So sorry you are going through this.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

Andrea,
    Super White is a dolometic marble not granite.
    It contains calcites and will etch. An impregnating sealer for stone will not stop or prevent etching period.
    Sealers for stone live below the surface and as long as the surface is exposed etching will occur. Some topical coatings will prevent etching but then you have plastic and not stone. Coatings can fail and require maintenance as well.
    Anyway you have been misinformed about your purchase.
    The choice would be yours to replace or not.
    Super white can be honed down lower so the etches may not show as much. Also etching can be removed by a stone refinisher from time to time. It can be expensive.If you need countertop material that is little or no maintenance this wouldn't be for you.
    True Quartzite would be a much better option for you.

• hank-mountainmarble
    10 years ago

Sorry to be away from this forum so long, but a belated Happy New Year to all.
    Fishy Mom, Magma Gold and Sedna are very similar in look and properties, Cosmos gold is a totally different stone, usually with lots of flashy mica in it. It is consequently extremely soft and crumbly. That being said let me be perfectly clear about the practices in my industy !!! NAMES MEAN ALMOST NOTHING!!!! THEY ARE INTERCHANGED, SWITCHED AND ABUSED, Post pics help getting a good ID and Use a very reputable fabricator! preferably one who is a member of the Marble Institute of America, our trade group,which at least has a code of Ethics and acceptable practises and standards.

Andrea, so terribly sorry to hear that you've had so many problems. As a trade professional I can offer you a some information and a bit of advise, in no given order. 1st pay them nothing more until you have some satisfaction, if ever! 2nd lime, lemon or vinegar are all acidic and make no difference, so let me digress and tell you what I tell my customers: marbles and limestones are Calcium based minerals and just like Tums ( in essence ground up white marble), are acid neutralizers. There is no legitimate sealer/impregnator that will stop the acid reaction, they slow the penetration of liquids into the body of the stone. This acid reaction is called "etching", as opposed to "staining" which is the discoloration of the stone when a liquid penetrates the sealer/impregnator. Stone stains when liquids, oil or water based stay in contact with the stone for too long a time and penetrate past the sealer. Most stains can be polticed out. I also tell my clients that if they want their countertops to look new and pristine stick with non calcium based materials, ie granite or quartzite, and if they don't mind the "patina of age" marbles and limestones are fine. Honed surfaces are recommended but more etching will occur so wipe them down with a diluted white vinegar when they look blotchy and in essence "hone" them a bit more.
    Broken tops should not be installed, breaks at sinks are not uncommon. Did your fabricator use rods to reinforce that area?
    In the end I'm guessing that you are not going to be happy with the "Patina of Age"on the Super White and that a hard granite or quartzite is what you need.
    Before I can advise you on trying to settle with your current fabricator, I would ask you a critical question, who told you the Super White was a granite in the first place? Let me know and I'll tell what I think you can do.
    Again sorry to hear your horror stories. After 30 plus years in the industry I can unfortunately tell you I hear them way too often, and a little education could have avoided them all.
    Let us know

• muppetmom
    10 years ago

After reading of Andrea's problem (so very sorry Andrea that you are having problems), I thought I should ask about the "granite" that I am thinking of using. It is called Verde Borgogna. Is it a granite or marble? Will it etch? I can't seem to get a piece of it to bring home to try. I welcome all information that I can get...good or bad!

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Andrea,

I'm glad the fabricators are chiming in here too. I agree with what they are saying.

I'm in agreement with what Hank asked. Did they tell you it was granite? Is it labeled as granite? If so, this will be a very interesting test case. I've wondered if the misrepresentation/misunderstanding of Super White would come to this.

One thing you might do is try to document that they sold this rock as granite. Are there photos of the slabs labeled as granite, images on their website or other documentation that shows they are selling it as granite? If so, this is information I'd collect now so that this doesn't become a 'he said, she said' situation.

There are two additional red flags here. One, they told you that the sealer prevents etching. Wrong. Two, they installed a cracked or broken piece. Wrong! So I'd be inclined to not take them at their word.

What a bummer you are going through this. I'd make sure you keep notes and take photos of everything from here on out. And keep us posted, but don't share too many details publicly here because all of this can be dredged up if this turns into a legal issue. If you have geologic questions you can contact me via the GW link.

I feel for you - good luck and keep us posted!

Karin

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Muppetmom,

Good for you to learn from other's misfortune! This particular stone is not granite in the geological sense, no. I am always wary of ID-ing a stone based just on a photo because as you can see from the problems above, rocks can look alike even though they have different properties.

That said, this looks like something in the serpentine family. I just Googled the name and came up with some promising links, including one here on GW. But the bottom line: if you can't get a sample to test, I'd walk away, plain and simple.

• Andrea01
    10 years ago

Yes - I was clearly told that the super white was granite. I even mentioned that I was shocked that they had a granite that looked like marble as I hadn't seen it at any other granite yards. Karin - funny that you mentioned the website, as earlier today I took a screen shot showing that they list it as one of the granite colors - check out Capital Granite.com
    They had mentioned that they had some issues with shiny finish when citric juice got on it and that they had no issues when the super white was honed and sealed. so we paid for the honed finish and a 15 yr warrenty - which obviously is a joke at this point. I'd really love to get my money back and find new stone elsewhere since they have installed 2 broken slabs and either are unaware of the stones they are selling or are misrepresenting what they are selling. I figure I am already out the cost for a plumber to come back as well as having to redo my backsplash.
    Any suggestions? Is this worth going to small claims court over? I am not looking for free counters - I really just wanted to get what I paying for and I don't feel like I can trust this company to give me that. I guess I should have done more research, but I thought that I could trust what seemed to be industry professionals. Guess not :(

• hank-mountainmarble
    10 years ago

Andrea,
    Indeed Capital represents this as a granite. The citric acid issue is a dead give away though. If it were me I would express to them that you're unhappy (to say the least) and see what they say. If honed was an ok finish for you maybe an occasional wipe down to "re-hone" would work for you. If not ask what they are willing to do. Escalate only as needed to get what you want. From my own experience court is a HUGE energy suck and a waste. Try to resolve this another way. Feel free to contact me by email.

• hank-mountainmarble
    10 years ago

Muppetmom,
    I believe Karen is correct that this is a serpentine, and I have worked stones similar to this for years without complaint. If the slab you're looking at has white areas these will probably etch. The stone is hard and a bit brittle to work, but a top notch fabricator can do it.
    Also as a general note the geology of the stone is not the critical item, as most of the stones in the market are not as simple as the labels attached, ie granite, marble... etc. The real issue is will it give you the performance and look you want into the future. The industry definitions are not equal to the geological definition. Karin correct me if I'm wrong but geologically granite is only allowed to have three minerals quartz,feldspar and biotites, otherwise the stone is geologically called something else. These definition are too tight. Consequently as the industry is/was more concerned about the performance of the particular stone in a particular use, it adopted the simplified granite, marble, limestone and now quartzite definitions. As the number of stones and the number of small companies has blossomed much of this intent has been lost. Still a reputable company should be able to tell you about the functionality of the stone you're thinking of using.
    Ask for a sample, do the tests, but more importantly express the performance you expect, write that into the contract. If you're asking for the impossible an expert will inform you as to reality. Listen closely. We shouldn't all have to try to become experts on everything we do!

• muppetmom
    10 years ago

Thanks, Karen and Hank! I am now worried about this choice for our granite. I started with a beautiful white marble (to go with white cabinets and medium dark flooring), but it stained with red wine. Then, I switched to a beautiful brown marble, but it etched with a lime quite badly. So, I was thinking wood countertops. And, finally I found this lovely organic verde borgona "granite" or "serpentine". I love the different flowing greens and the way the browns are interwoven. The slab I have chosen has very little white if any and is mostly a beautiful melange of forest green and other organic greens. I just adore it. The only other rock that has spoken to me recently is a Vermont verde Antique that I haven't been able to find anywhere in person.

How does serpentine do in a kitchen? I don't want to have to baby my counters too much. Or fuss at someone when they drop a lime on the counter from their margarita or spill a bit of wine. Should I keep looking? I will definitly go see my slab and try the scratch test. Can you tell me how I should do this? Any thing else I should ask? Or do?

Thanks so much for you help!

• Andrea01
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Hank. More than the etching I am concerned that it is very easily cut and scratched. With these marble counters and a glass top stove we don't even have a surface suitable for cutting a pizza. So would you suggest asking for our money back and going else where or do you think it might be better to ask them to replace with a true granite or quartzite and also to pay for re-tiling?

• hank-mountainmarble
    10 years ago

Andrea,
    If you can get them to cover everything and replace it with a more suitable material then you get what you need at no or minimal extra cost and they get to not lose everything. The best of a bad situation and I'll bet they no longer sell Super White as a granite!
    If they are not cooperative you can always go elsewhere.
    Keep us posted and good luck.

• hank-mountainmarble
    10 years ago

Muppetmom,
    Serpentines don't tend to etch and are very hard. Vermont Verde Antique is also a serpentine, not all green marbles are though. As I said earlier we have used serpentines in a number of kitchens over the years and haven't heard any complaints.

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Andrea,

I think the choice is yours about how best to handle it with the shop. They were not truthful to you and they misrepresented their product, so the fault lies squarely with them. I would start by asking for whatever solution is most preferable to you and work from there. I think it is reasonable to ask for reimbursement of the plumber's work and the tiling. Of course, being nice and understanding is a good way to go, but you can do that while still being firm.

I hope that they learn from this and no longer mis-classify Super White. That would save others from a similar fate.

Please keep us posted!

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Muppetmom,

There are several threads with info about the glass test, one is linked below. Regardless of the name of the stone you'll want to test for hardness (the scratch test), etching (with acids), staining and perhaps water absorption. You can also do things like saw a knife on it and other fun and destructive behaviors. :)

Hank, you are so right about the naming convention of rocks. I'm OK with the names not being exactly correct in every case because the full-on geologic names can be awkward. But the industry can do much, much better than they are. I expect salespeople to be well-educated in whatever they are selling, regardless of the industry they work for, and the mis-naming, misrepresenting and overall misunderstanding of stone is kind of embarrassing. Obviously that is not the case for you and others who post here, but anecdotally we have no shortage of customers here on GW who have been told things that are flat out wrong. I certainly appreciate you, Srosen and OldRyder who help so many people with their questions here.

Here is a link that might be useful: rock thread, part III

• anjn
    10 years ago

Hi Karin,

Thanks so much for your response to my question (and apologies for my late reply -- I didn't realize that there are no notifications from GardenWeb when you get a response!).

I am pretty sure that my samples are truly scratching the glass vs. coating (and I tried several different bottles -- Pellegrino and a few different types of beer bottles).

It sounds like Andrea had the same experience: her sample scratched glass, but the sample and countertops have also etched.

What are your thoughts on what is going on, since that is inconsistent with the properties of these stones? Is it perhaps possible that these are a mixture of different stones -- that is, some portions of a slab are elements of quartzite and some are marble-like? Such that it can scratch glass but also etch?

Thanks!
    Anj

• anjn
    10 years ago

Strayer -- your countertops are so lovely -- congratulations! Have you had any issues with etching? (I am likely going to use the same material for my kitchen). Thanks!

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Hi Anj,

Yes, I noticed that both of you had similar results for those tests. Without the rocks in hand I can't say what's really going on.

Thinking about how these rocks form, marbles begin their lives on tropical ocean floors. Calcium carbonate is the material shells, corals and some plankton are made of. These shells dissolve in the seawater and then re-precipitate on the ocean floor. This calcium carbonate sediment becomes limestone and if buried deeply enough it can become marble. As the original sediments are laid down it's possible to have some sandy layers in there although that is not common. So that's one possibility but it's not too likely.

If either of you want to mail me your samples I'd love to investigate further!

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

Such an informative thread!

I, too, chose the super white. And now i am concerned! I was not able to etch it, but it does scratch easily with a sharp knife.
    Could you look at my sample and tell me what you think, please? We were going to go with honed version, if it makes any differenceâ¦

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

the whole slab

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Yulia, really, no etching? If that is true then you may have actual quartzite. Try scratching glass.

I can't tell much from the photo, sorry. The only thing that helps is to know how the rock behaves when you test it.

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

btw it says quartzite on the label

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Well.... I think we can safely conclude that the labels don't mean much, unfortunately. ;)

But if yours turns out to be real quartzite that would indeed be cause for celebration.

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

hm, i just remembered that the photos of the slab and the label are from one store and the sample piece if from the supplier next doorâ¦. Sorry for the confusionâ¦My head is spinning with too much informationâ¦.And i think the second place (with the sample) called it "granite"

Both suppliers have Super White which is more gray (they said each shipment arrives with more and more gray in it) and also they have Premium Super White which is more white then gray, but the price is premium, too :)

• hank-mountainmarble
    10 years ago

YuliaO, I don't understand why your sample wouldn't etch but
    I just spoke to a friend who knows the quarry and the quarry owner of the Super White. It is not a quartzite and is not sold from the quarry as a quartzite. If you are after the durability of granite or quartzite watch out!

• hank-mountainmarble
    10 years ago

Karin
    I couldn't agree more and I am often embarrassed by the lack of education by my competitor fabricators, and especially by the slab yards sales forces. I'll say more on this at another moment but for now everyone, Performance is the key element and must be more important than asthetics!

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

hank-mountainmarble what is it then? marble?

the piece i have is sealed. The one i had before was not sealed and it etched.. My husband threw away the first sample (don't ask why) so i went in and got another oneâ¦

I'll try againâ¦So i cut the lemon in half, put one half on grey part and other half on white part. How soon would it etch?

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

Karin, i've seen somewhere discussion about testing with glass but can't find itâ¦.Could you point me to it, please?

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

I am talking to myself here :))
    It etched alright this time :) Left half a lemon on it for about an hourâ¦look how cool, it made the see through parts stand out more! i think the movement of the color hides etching pretty goodâ¦.

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

double post sorry

This post was edited by YuliaO on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 17:25

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Uh oh, well there you have it. Join the Super White marble club.

The rock thread is linked about 10 posts up from here. I put it in for Muppetmom yesterday.

We are nearly at the end of this thread too. I will start version five!

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Link to the next thread in the sequence, since this one is just about full.

Rock on!

(couldn't resist that one)

Here is a link that might be useful: Part Five: the quartzite drama continues!

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

well, it easily scratched the bottle pretty deepâ¦not sure my iPhone photo can represent anything

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

OK, so this is the third one in a row that scratches glass and etches. A head-scratcher for sure.

• Andrea01
    10 years ago

So just so I have my details clear - quartzite and granite are the best choices for durability in a kitchen correct? Did I read that quartzite can still etch, but doesn't scratch and that granite doesn't etch or scratch?

We spoke with the owner of the granite place and they will replace our stone. As much as I love the super white look I need something that won't cut when the pizza cutter rolls off onto the counter and that won't etch badly if things like fruit juice are spilled on it. Any suggestions on what type of stone is best as well as any more specific suggestions on a light color that has a similar look to super white? Thank you all so very much for your help!

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design