Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Rocks #4 marble, granite, quartzite

Posted by Peke (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 18:24

Karin, I looked for #4, but couldn't find it.

Kksmama, your slab will look wonderful. I can't wait to see it.

Am I still in last place? I haven't had time to look at slabs lately because of American Range oven issues. It will probably blow my house up then I can start the remodeling process all over again. Maybe I should find a cave to live in. Go back to simpler times. 😁

Warming drawer and microwave drawer were delivered. I guess my cabinet guy did me a favor by not finishing my kitchen. I had time to redo the island plans. Now if I could just get him here.

So if I take the Sea Pearl I will have to totally change the colors I wanted to use. No blues. 😞

If I take the Sea Pearl I will have to settle for a bridge on the back of the rangetop. There will not be enough slab to leave it in one piece. Will this be strong enough to support the Bluestar range top? It is pretty heavy.

My only other choice is to make the island smaller. Much smaller! I need the storage and prep space though.

What does everyone think about the bridge? Yes or no?
Peke

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rocks #4 marble, granite, quartzite

Sorry, I'm traveling and have not had a chance to start a thread yet. I'll chime in later - sorry!

o

I don't recall Animacafe making a choice.
Simpler times sounds good...but which cave? One has grey walls, the other a slightly warmer beige undertone, and then there is the foreclosure in which all the stalactites were ripped out but the ceiling height is wonderful.

Peke, assuming your aisle widths are good (my current obsessive worry), you don't want a smaller island.

I'm super happy to have chosen my granite and moved on to other decisions (hood design, knobs and backsplash). I learned some very important things during my search:

1) I had to walk past a lot of slabs to figure out what I wanted.
2) Developing criteria helped my later visits to be more efficient. I reviewed my Sweeby test and remembered that the counters were one part of the overall look I wanted. Once I figured out that I wanted a black background, no splotches, and some white and brown veins it was easy to move quickly. My kids were especially helpful, instead of seeing what could be they just see what is and they don't hesitate to say the words. "No mom, this is not the slab you are looking for."
3) Slab yards were very different from each other wrt the quality of material and employees. My top 3 slabs were all from the same yard and it wasn't one I visited until I'd been to some of the others several times. If I were doing this again in a different town I'd visit 3-5 yards on my first day out. In Tampa Bay, start at Mont Krest (Largo).
4) Searching Houzz and gardenweb (using google) for pictures of installed granite was helpful in evaluating possibilities.
5) Keeping a small glass tile in one's purse is essential, keeping some wet wipes and a bright flashlight (to help even out the light from place to place) would be helpful, too.
6) There are parallels to dating: Don't overlook a good one because it doesn't go "zing" at first sight - give it a chance if it meets your criteria. Don't commit too early, give yourself a few dates before you get serious. When the time is right, take (a sample of it) home to see the fit with your family/home.
7) Gneiss is nice, and Karin rocks!

o

LOL, kksmama. I think I've seen that foreclosure cave. Very good advice about choosing stones, too.

The Sea Pearl is gorgeous. Do you mind changing the colors you wanted? The granite that finally passed my Sweeby Test made me change my wall color plans, too. If the Sea Pearl passes your Sweeby Test, then it's a good choice.

I would think the bridge would be OK for the cooktop. Can't they reinforce it some way? I have seams around my sink, and the fabricator built extra supports underneath because I told him I wash my 50 lb dog in there. Find out how much the cooktop weighs and ask the fabricator.

o

Aaccckkkkk! I forgot about the wall colors! I will just throw mud on the walls. I think I have seen every slab out there.

Ginny, Sweeby and i are not acquainted, but light colored with not much movement seems to be what I lean toward.

That is a great idea to tell them to reinforce the countertop.

Karin, happy traveling! Wish I was traveling right now.

Animacafe, how are you doing in the search?
Peke

o

Lucas, this place by where I live has pure quartz. http://pietrafina.com/online-inventory/granite/white-quartz/

I was given a quote of 90 dollar/sq foot for the slab. Way to pricey for me.

o

The Sweeby test has become increasingly helpful as I learn and see more. I've also been thinking of analogies to cooking, which is helpful because I feel confident and competent in a kitchen and not so much designing a kitchen. So there are times to follow tried and true recipes, times to try unexpected pairings, times to let things simmer, etc. Sorry I don't know anything about bridges. I made my cooking wall extra deep, so now I guess I will have one behind my KA rangetop (controls on the front).

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweeby test

o

Kksmama, okay, I guess I accidentally did Sweeby. I just cannot do pale blue and will have to live with It or wait until the countertops are in. Maybe I can tie it in later.

Only one more week and cabinet guy is back from vacation. I hope I am first on his list.

o

Thanks kinei.

I love the quartzites but DH doesn't, thinks they look broken. Counter top shopping has been interesting. We started out thinking whitish but most of them looked pink with our natural cherry cabs as did most of the quartzes. I really liked Taj Mahal but it was $3700/slab plus fabrication, so that was a non-starter for us.

We've actually now figured out that something more gold or yellow looks best with the cabs.

Current contender is Golden Cascade.

o

I miss talking rocks! I discovered that my "Godiva" looks like what other places call Pretoria, and some slabs are more grey while others have more black. I'm excited and nervous about choosing my specific slabs in a few weeks. And happy to have found some backups at another stone yard, since we know that sometimes things go wrong :(

Lucas, there was a lovely reveal recently with a similar granite, linked.

And anyone interested in darker looks shouldn't miss the honed via lactea posted by Kay515 here http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/msg041617155527.0708132721666.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: creamy golden granite reveal

o

KKSMama, So have you decided which slab yet?

I have been looking for a perimeter slab that will go with the Sea Pearl on the island. Nothing works with the Sea Pearl.

I went to an online marble and granite place so I could see the colors and names. Big mistake! I found so many blue granites that I can't have. So sad.
Here is one....Azul Renoir...Blue Renoir

o

For Karin: On the topic of rocks, but not kitchen rocks

We were in the southern Adirondacks last week, and I pointed to the rocks and boulders and said, "look DD, gneiss, and that might be schist." And she said "yes, I see foliation." Thought you'd be happy to hear that Earth Science studies can stick with kids for at least three weeks after the final exam.

We went past the Herkimer Diamonds Mine and the Ace of Diamonds Mine, but we didn't stop to prospect. Next time. DD is game. I love Herkimer diamonds. (For those not familiar, Herkimer diamonds are clear quartz crystals.)

Peke - Very dangerous to look at the high end stones. that is pretty, though. Have you considered a plain dark stone for the perimeter? Then it will contrast with the Sea Pearl and also take a back seat to it. I'd be worried that something that wasn't a complete change would fight with the Sea Pearl.

o

Nice work Ginny! We at GW are proud of your DD and her retention of earth science, several weeks into summer! Did you spot some garnets? (NY state gemstone, but I bet you knew that already.)

Those Adirondack rocks are absolutely amazing. I used to take our college students on huge field trips through there because the scale of the outcrops is awesome and the rocks themselves can't be beat. So much cool (and complex) stuff going on there.

Peke, I have been traveling and doing other stuff, but I check in from time to time to see how you're doing. Sounds like you might be getting closer with Sea Pearl? That's great!

o

Ta Da! I paid for a slab today...Sea Pearl. The first one I ever looked at. The one that I thought I couldn't use. They had told me the wrong measurements for the slab. I am so glad I measured it myself.

Measuring and templating are next. Woo Hoo!

Peke

o

Happy happy happy for you, Peke! I think you ought to use scraps or a sink cut out for a table, or at least a trivet. I'm going to make sure I have at least a small part of my granite, even if I someday sell my house.

o

Thanks KK. Let's hope the veining translates as well to a kitchen that also has wood grain going on!

Looked at the templates this week, install next Tuesday.

Fingers crossed!

o

Conrats Peke! Honed or polished?

My templating was done last week and we are going to see the slab today to arrange things. I'm a little nervous since I haven't seen it in such a long time. Install will probably have to be in 2 weeks. I have two cute little boys staying with me all next week!

o

Oh I'm really glad you got the sea pearl! I'm going back and forth and I keep going back to it. Wonder if I can stall my decision long enough to see it installed in some of your kitchens!
Peke, or anyone using it, do you have a backsplash in mind?

o

I have no idea about a backsplash. I will probably wait until the countertops are in place.

I still can't decide between polished or brushed. I think brushed will go well with my kitchen. Once the slab is at the fabricator's shop I can see it in better light and make a decision.

I am leaning toward brushed but I am worried about stains, etc since it is such a light color. I know it will be sealed, but no one on GW has brushed sea pearl so no first hand facts.

Kksmama, I will have the sink cut out left over. That's all. I agree with you. I will have something to take with me if we ever move.

Gigi, what have you looked at for backsplash? peke

o

I found a gorgeous slab today. Thanks to Karin's expertise with rocks, I think I recognized garnets in the slab.

It was cream, blue, tan and brown. Really pretty. They called it Azurite.

o

Congratulations Peke! This is big news and I'm very happy for you. You must feel a weight off your shoulders with this big decision behind you. Can't wait to see it in place!

Yes, that is an impressive slab there. Can't tell quite what that is... perhaps a big fracture (the whole middle part of the slab) filled in with new minerals. Definitely interesting and I'd like to see it in person.

o

Peke - have not looked at backsplash yet. Waiting until countertop is installed. The stone looks different in the two settings that I have seen it, so I really think I need to see it in my house first

o

Gigi, I agree with you. It changes every time I see it. LOL

Karin, I wish you could see it. It has the most beautiful color of blue in it. They have another slab that has the left side browns and the right side blues. Not as pretty as this one though.

o

Everyone must be finding what they are looking for in countertops or all are busy with our remodels, etc.!

o

I'm sorry, I have not been active much, but I still check in now and then! I will be back at some point, but this summer is a lot more unsettled than I'd hoped. But I'm still happy to answer questions, so do post them here!

o

I posted this in another forum but Karen suggested I post it here as well. Finally made a decision on the granite. Working with the existing cabinets made it challenging. They are European, probably Italian, and were installed by the previous home owner and are gorgeous and the interiors are beautifully outfitted. After looking at dozens of slabs finally we came across Golden Lightening and it's absolutely perfect.

See attached picture with the cabinet door leaning against the granite.

That was the last decision we had to make - thank goodness.

o

Wow, looks like a gorgeous combination. Please share more pictures when it is fabricated!

o

Texas29, it is a perfect match.

Gigi and kks, here is my counter installed. Not happy with the cutting, but don't know what I will do about it yet.

o

I am doing a stain test after the fact.

I put mustard, hot sauce, red kool-aid, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar.

Is there anything else I need to try? Peke

o

Peke,

You made it! I'm jealous! How exciting! I have insomnia due to all this craziness. I've enjoyed catching up with you all! Can't wait to see more pics. Let us know the results of your stain test. I'm not sure what you mean by "not happy with the cutting." What happened?

Karen from Ohio - it was fun having lunch with you last month. I hope your project is coming along! I'm under construction in Florida. I have to pick out appliances ASAP, because the cabinet designer needs the specs. Things have really heated up with the renovation. Picking out fixtures, tubs, faucets, etc.. Really can't wait for this all to be behind me.

o

Texas29, that is going to be gorgeous! Stunning!

As for Sea Pearl and a backsplash, I'm waiting until mine is installed to decide on a backsplash. I love how Peke's looks in the picture above. Mine will be on beach white and cocoa cabinets. I can almost picture it...

o

Karin, et al,
Yea! I finally reached the end of all four threads, all in one night. I just wanted to say that the Rock Wisperer as well as everyone's personal journeys have been most informative and helpful. Yesterday, DW and I visited multiple yards looking specifically for Super White quartzite. One place called it quartzite, one called it marble, and one called it somewhere between marble and granite. Wha-what? We were so confused. On the way home, we decided we needed to do more research about this on our own from a geological viewpoint instead of relying on what the salespeople were telling us because at least one of them clearly didn't know what they were talking about. But which one? And Voila!!! This forum was exactly what we needed to be armed with the info and tools to go check for ourselves. So thank you. We've been lurking on GW for several months now b/c we've been doing an entire home remodel and have found lots of great info, but this is the first time we've posted.

o

Peke, I also tortured mine with muriatic acid, acetone, and tumeric - only because I had them on hand. How bout some blueberries? Coffee?
Welcome, MikeD, we are indeed fortunate to have this forum and Karin!
Joan, I can almost picture it, too, and it is heavenly! I think there may be some mother of pearl in your backsplash. I saw a nice really nice mosaic with some mop and some glass at Lowe's the other day, 16.88/square.

o

welcome, Mike. Karen does a great job helping all of us. She knows her stuff! I bought Sea Pearl quartzite. Do the glass bottle or glass tile scratch test and other tests that Karen suggested. Don't be surprised if they will not give you a sample o f quartzite.

Joan, my slab looks blue gray in the picture. It does have green in it instead of blue. Here is a picture of my seam.

o

Here is the cut next to the cabinet. Front of the slab is 101"wide, and the back is only 100 3/4".

o

Peke, what will they do? How frustrating for you! I am so over this renovation and I still have months to go!!!! Yesterday the Sheetrock person told me she forgot to add the guest bedroom ceiling to her estimate. I believe it needs to be fair for everyone.... Stuff like that makes me crazy. I'll find out next week how much more it will cost. Congratulations on making some progress!

o

Joan and everyone,

The roof is up, but the rain keeps pouring in! We have had so much rain that we will have to pull up some of the plywood sub floor and replace it. Hopefully, we will get shingles up on Monday. Talk about errors in measuring or not, I have a back door that I will not be able to put a storm door on because the roof line is too low. Luckily, my, hopefully, beautiful Dutch door opens into the room.

We went to the bone yard today and we are trying to decide between a piece of marble and a piece of magma for the console section of the cabinet and bench section. Kind of two extremes, one plain and one exotic. Blue Pearl is the decision for the kitchen. No changing directions now. My slate arrived from PA for the entry! Only one broken piece out of four boxes.the slate is a piece of my history.

Mike, you have a fun project ahead of you. The fabricator we visited today is considering not working with Super White because of fabricating issues with this particular stone. To me, it acts more like marble than anything. One stone yard in our area does have samples of Super White to Borrow. They like you to return them.

Texas29, aren'tcha glad you came over for a visit? :-) We are. Love the stone you chose.

Joan, we will have to have lunch again in the near future.

Karen in Ohio

o

KKSmama... Mother of pearl at Lowes...I will check! I just was there looking at baseboards.

Karen, we have had some crazy storms this week:-( I feel your stress! I had 7 juniors doing SAT prep here this week. On Thursday it rained so hard, no one wanted to leave. The idea of more studying lured them into the monsoon. LOL! Yes, we have to check out the new Doc Henderson's. e-mail me... I hope they eventually re-opened!

o

Hi all! Sorry it took me so long to find Rocks #4. Update: I chose JetMist Antiqued. I found a giant slab 136x77 and was able to get my entire 131.5" sink run out if it without a seam. I love it! Made the deposit on July 12th before going on vacation and it was installed last week. A little rocky at first because they enhanced it when they sealed it so it came out much darker than I was expecting, but I have gotten over it and still love it. I am working on a backsplash selection so they can do the tiling on Friday. I wanted and bought carrera 3x6 honed subway tile, but am worried about the upkeep. When I showed it to the contractor he said I should put a piece of glass or plexiglass over the wall above the stove to keep it clean. Still thinking that through.

Here is my new countertop...
 photo 540c2b9f-de24-4c8d-a58f-a66b1cf9fe37_zps1c900782.jpg
Sorry it's a little blurry.
 photo bd150948-f71b-4404-8a8d-d1a458b1693f_zps234e61d5.jpg

photo 3db41b05-da74-4430-a020-6c552dcff47f_zpse1ef926a.jpg

Original slab photo at wholesaler:
 photo f8113270-5dce-43b1-ac52-26933451a6c2_zpsa40925ee.jpg
Sorry it is blurry - it was before I had my phone camera fixed after dropping it.

Peke - glad to hear you found a great slab but so sorry you are having trouble with the cuts! How is that working out? I know how upset I was when I came home from work after the install and I first saw my "black" counters that were originally grey! Your seams must be very disappointing.

Thank all for your help through this process! It has been invaluable.

o

Congratulations, Animacafe, that is lovely! Do you feel it reads busier, or less so, now that it is installed? I'm hoping my slab will be a star without stealing the entire show. It looks busy as a picture, but it is really big so I think/hope that it will be much more subtle when horizontal and cut into the runs and island.  photo photo_zps7e0d8b3c.jpg

o

kksmama - that is beautiful movement - and I love the color! I had a hard time envisioning the slab cut up as counters too. Now that it has been transformed into counters the movement definitely seems less bold. The place I really notice it the most is on my peninsula/island which makes sense since it is a wider piece at almost 37" - so you have more of an unobstructed view of the pattern. Hope that helps!

o

Animacafe,

Maybe you could seal your marble tiles, just like they seal the counters. Ask about the grout that has sealer in it. A bit expensive, but maybe worth it.

I ihad one new window installed today and am in a tizzy over it, just like some people are about granite installation and colors. Can't return it because it is a "custom" size. I wish someone had told me about the white track on the double hung windows. I thought it would be color matched with the taupe color. It looks like a cheap window that I could have bought at Lowe's! Actually, the Andersen windows were color matched and they are cheap compared to this company. I an even having trouble getting them to rip out one piece of drywall that was soaked in the downpours last week. Hoping the granite is not a problem! They haven't seen mad yet, only semi-mad!

Sorry about the spiel. Just had to vent a little.

Karen

o

Animacafe, that does help, thanks for the reassurance.
Karen, that is a super helpful tip about grout with sealer - now I know to ask for it! I'm planning to use a brushed marble tile that seems exceedingly porous for my b/s and will definitely want it protected. Couldn't handle the worry over marble as a countertop, but must have it somewhere.
I'm sorry about your window!

o

Thanks for the thought about the window. I am sure I will figure something out, even if I have to leave screens in year round. Do that anyway, because I am lazy. The architect should have known that the track was white, since he has worked with PELLA for thirty years.

Ask about sealing the tiles too. This would help the porosity.

Karen

o

Well. no news yet. Fabricator said he would call Monday.

peke

o

Peke,

I hope it has a good resolution.

I wish I had seen your earlier posts about your kitchen. Your ovens are the type I wanted and couldn't find. How do you like the doors opening like cupboards? My friend's parents had similar oven back in the 60's. Their frig even had the look of a Sub Zero.

I am buying Wolf and Sub Zero, mostly because there is a decent rebate.

Karen

o

Granite is IN! I'll post a picture later, but I'm so happy and relieved that I just had to share. I really feel validated in all the time I spent choosing my slabs, the counters look just as I hoped! And I'm thrilled with my pencil edge and radiuses (1.5", 6", 15"), too! The installer was telling me about the "5 year" sealer he was going to use and I asked to see the container. It seems to be a product for outdoor use, it doesn't say "food safe" anywhere on it, and based on my exhaustive tests of my granite sample I've decided to decline. Maybe I'll explore sealants at Home Depot on my own, but I doubt I'll use one.
Thank you all for sharing this journey and posting your experiences, it helped tremendously! Peke, we're pulling for you, please update when you get a chance.

o

Congratulations KKsmama! That is a wonderful feeling to have your design ideas validated. Looking forward to some photos!

o

Thank you SO much, Karin! Today I enjoyed telling my 17 year old what I learned about gneiss from you, it does make a gorgeous rock even more interesting! And I'm so glad I did all the torture tests on my sample, so I can feel comfortable with not sealing.
 photo photo2_zps07288dad.jpg
 photo kitchengranite_zpsae4f1b33.jpg

o

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but not new to stone. I'm not a geologist, so I'm sure I'll learn a lot from Karin, but I can add info from the fabricator and slab selection end of things after 30+ years of trying to educate customers and learning myself.
I found out about this forum thru a client of mine who was using it as a source of info, most of which is correct.

o

Oh KKM, that is beautiful! I love how the direction of foliation ($5 word) runs diagonally. I hope you give visitors a little geology lesson about gneiss.

Welcome Hank - we do love to talk about rocks around here!

o

KKM, that is gorgeous!!!! And wow, you totally confirm that deep warm walls can look great with black & whites in the kitchen....something I've been debating about for a long time. (what color is your wall paint?) Cant wait for your full reveal.
Your granite is beautiful, congrats!

o

Thank you Karin! Don't encourage me too much - I started looking for framed posters on metamorphic rocks to hang in my kitchen, lol!

Welcome Hank! I'm curious about your perspective on sealants and what happens to rock after it is cut out of the ground. My stone is purportedly from India, it didn't look like it had any resin or anything on the sides of the slab and my torture tests (acetone, muriatic acid, coffee, red wine, olive oil and more) didn't make any changes on either the polished or unfinished sides (oil penetrated the unpolished side, but I washed it with soap and water and it all came out).

At some point when I asked my fabricator about sealants, he said what I've heard elsewhere: it is all food safe, it penetrates and isn't available on the surface to transfer to food anyway, better to seal with a known substance than take your chances with whatever was left on the surface by a foreign stone yard.

But...where is the sealant label that says "food safe"? Is this actually tested, and by who (FDA?)? And is there really anything other than rock on the surface of my rock?

o

Kksmama,

Such a beautiful stone. I wish my kitchen was larger so I could pick a busier stone.

Welcome, Hank. I am going to ask for an opinion before you have time to wonder why you posted that you can help us!

What is your opinion about a sealant on Blue Pearl? I am seriously considering not applying since the stone is one of the harder stones. What I have read about sealing it, people feel that it can be more streaky and harder to keep shiny with sealant.

Karen

o

Thank you Karen and homebuyer! Karin, I don't think this stone would work so well in shorter runs, I had a large circle cut for a table (or lazy susan), and while my daughter and I both love the kitchen, we agree that the cut circle is unappealing!

I hope I didn't scare Hank away...
My paint is a copy of designer's paint. I've had it in my bathroom for more than a year and liked it so much I wanted it in a larger area. You would think it is very dark just looking at a chip, but somehow it isn't given the amount of light in the rooms (and against my white floors in the bathroom). It has 5 different tints in it, and changes a lot from surface to surface and in response to different light. To me, it looks like a cup of coffee with just the right amount of cream.
 photo photo3_zpsefa01d40.jpg

o

Beautiful Stone! I 'm sure you'll enjoy it for a long time. As to sealants. To the best of my knowledge no one has ever asked the FDA to test, therefor no " food safe" labels. Anyway I'm no chemist, but pretty sure all the sealers are basically variations of silicones, ( silanes etc) in a suspended state. The carriers are different, sometimes water based and sometime mineral spirit type solvent based. After drying you're left with the silcones in the pores of the stone ie the spaces between the crystals. If you leave the sealer on the surface it's very reactive even to water and will turn white. I've been using the same sealer for years, even in my own home and for anyone who's not extremely chemical sensitive it has never been as issue.
We actually think the mineral spirit ones perform better.
I do suspect your stone was resined though as oil will penetrate almost any stone and won't easily wash off with soap and water. I tell clients not to leave anything in contact with their stone for long periods because the sealers only slow down penetration they don't stop it. However the epoxies/resins do actually seal the stone, seemingly on a permanent basis... but only the undisturbed face, not the edges etc.
I could go on and on but this is the whole deal in a nutshell.... does it make any sense? Let me know and I'll explain better if I can.
When do you get to move in and cook?

o

Karen,
I don't scare easily......LOL
Hardness is not the issue... the bond between the crystal matrix is..Maybe Karin can speak to that. I think sealers are like a belt and suspenders... better to keep your pants up than to be surprised when they fall down.
The sealer should not effect the shine of the material, if properly applied, and windex is a wonderful thing on "granites".

o

I've nearly forgotten that the point of all this is cooking! I'm still at least a week away, appliances come Tuesday and I may not move things into cabinets until the following weekend. My hood and adjacent cabinets aren't even finalized yet, no island lighting yet, no pulls, and certainly no backsplash. But I'll have plumbing and electric after today, and our garage fridge is well stocked, so perhaps I can stop washing fruit in the laundry sink and use my blender again for frozen margaritas smoothies.

Is there a way to test for resin? I saw lots of slabs with drippy stuff on the sides and filled spaces on the surface which I assumed was resin. My slab doesn't have that, and isn't shiny on the unfinished side (which looks "raw" if that makes sense). Water doesn't bead up on it, or even sheet off...but the stone doesn't stay "wet" long either. Of course I'm hoping my stone is naturally minimally porous, like some of the black granites listed on this table as .05 to .15 porosity. The guys who cut and carried it seemed to think it was unusually dense :)

Here is a link that might be useful: findstone.com table

o

Okay, Karin, you're up to bat! I am sure you have commented on Blue Pearl (probably for my benefit), what are your thoughts on Blue Pearl?

Hank, I am using a piece of Carrera marble for a table top below the TV. It will mostly have Knick knacks or whatever on top. The dodos cut a piece of Calcutta marble I had on hold. Anyway, I think I am putting the honed side up because I think it will show less reflection from the TV. Should it be sealed? My mother has two antique marble top tables that probably have no sealer.

Karen

o

Okay, Karin, you're up to bat! I am sure you have commented on Blue Pearl (probably for my benefit), what are your thoughts on Blue Pearl?

Hank, I am using a piece of Carrera marble for a table top below the TV. It will mostly have Knick knacks or whatever on top. The dodos cut a piece of Calcutta marble I had on hold. Anyway, I think I am putting the honed side up because I think it will show less reflection from the TV. Should it be sealed? My mother has two antique marble top tables that probably have no sealer.

Karen

o

Karen,

I think you can try Blue Pearl without a sealer and see what you think. It's dense and dark and probably won't show stains easily. The thing I'd be the most worried about is oil. But give it a shot and see how it is to live with. You can always seal it down the road.

I was just googling for Blue Pearl and found an old GW thread in which people recommend keeping it unsealed.

On the marble, is that in your kitchen or will it be used for eating? If so I would probably seal it. If it's just decorative then maybe not.

KKsM,
I think you are correct about the lack of resin. The drippy stuff on the edges is the usual way to tell. If you saw your whole slab and it didn't have that, then my guess is you are correct. If the stone is dense, then there is no need for resin.

Interesting that your stone didn't look good when cut into a round shape! Must have been the linear/wavy texture fighting with the roundness?

And, I love rocks quite a bit, but I can't say that I've ever been tempted to hang posters of rocks. That's funny! Although it would be kinda cool to have a printout of a rock classification chart or something like that. Have you looked at your rock with a magnifying glass or hand lens? That is really neat too.

Here is a link that might be useful: older thread about blue pearl

o

Karen,
I agree with Karin on the decorative use of marble. Sealers are to slow penetrations of liquids.
What did they call your black stone?
The blacks are generally dense and heavy.
The drip at the slab edge is a sure sign but I've worked resin slabs with no drip showing and the back being "raw"/sawn is no surprise.
The resin process is done in an oven with low atmospheric pressure. the sawn stone is heated, resin is applied to one face and allowed to soak into the slab, after curing the slabs are polished. any holes are filled with resin and the penetration of the resin into the "pores" is much better than with a viscous sealer at room temperature.

o

The stoneyard called it "Godiva" and said it was from India. But it sure looks to me like slabs I've found on the internet and IRL called "Pretoria." My slabs were very large (at least 125" long) and there were more than a dozen in the lot. At another yard I saw 2 lots of Pretoria, one similar but with less linear foliation (am I using my new word correctly?) and the other much less black.
I had a great time with the magnifying glass, Karin, thanks for the suggestion! At a certain angle with light hitting just right the surface reflection varied in relation to the color of the black vs white areas. No area looked at all porous, or as if it had been filled or covered with anything.
I'm SO enjoying my rock! Thanks, all, for sharing my enthusiasm.

o

KKS - just have to say, that is one lovely counter no matter where it's from or what it's called. Congrats and enjoy those margaritas!!!

o

So kind of you, Mgoblue85. Finding my slabs was worth all the time I spent reading here and searching, and I was able to stick to my budget (level 2, less than $60/square foot). I was helped so much by reading of others' tribulations and triumphs, and of course by Karin's and OldRyder's expert advice. I'm glad Hank is joining the fun!

o

KKS
Your stone is gorgeous. I love the movement in it and the way it was cut. I have used Counter Gloss for years on granite counter tops in several homes and really love it. It keeps the stone in perfect condition and have never had any food issues with it at all.
My Golden Lightening goes in tomorrow and the Miele oven and warming drawer and Thermador Freedom Fridge and Freezer towers by end of week. Can't wait to have a functioning kitchen and to see if gorgeous granite I fell in love with lives up to my expectations when it's actually installed.

o

Texas,
Can you post a pic of "Golden Lightning" I want to see if it's the stone I think it is???..........My crazy industry with games about names.
The truth is the names mean less that nothing now. It wasn't always that way... now its names to confuse the innocent and the experienced... oops excuse me....minor rant...lol

o

Thank you, Texas29, I hope your installation goes well. Consider having your camera ready to take pictures, it gives you something to do other than cringe and fret as the guys carry everything in.
Hank, I may have this Joe South song stuck in my head for awhile. Games about names, indeed! I think the industry is losing an opportunity, I love the looks of my gneiss but my enjoyment (and enthusiasm for replacing other countertops) is greatly enhanced by what I learned here from Karin. You could charge more if the rocks came not just with made up names, but "real" stories - like J. Peterman clothing (parodied by Seinfeld - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_J._Peterman_Company)

Here is a link that might be useful: Games people play, Joe South

o

KKS, 1) Great Song..2) They do have stories, some geologic, some personal, some geographic,some historic, some cross cultural..... I love them so don't get me started. I just got back for Turkey, where I got to walk on marble roads walked by Cleopatra, her sister and Marc Anthony....YIKES......The stone industry is for me a heritage of the finest materials worked to the tightest tolerances, by the prima donna's of the building trades, the very best craftsmen... only lately has it lost some panache.... but not in our shop.

Texas, I saw the picture you posted earlier and indeed it's a material I know as Golden Musk..and other names I forget. It's a Brazillian Serpentine, very very beautiful... good luck on your install..
By the way all Y'all I see a ton of energy put into getting just the right material... may I pose this question? How did you find and decide on who would work your beautiful material? Thanks for indulging me!

o

Hank, I chose a GC . Plumbing is the only job that is subcontracted, cabinets are custom built and granite fabricated at his shop. He had some slabs from which to choose, but had no problem with me finding them elsewhere and then selling me only the square footage I needed. He must get pretty good pricing from the granite yards and feel confident that he can sell the remnants.
I asked around as I went to stoneyards, and was happy with the reputation of his fabrication shop. And I'm happy with the results, the granite is the best part of my job so far.

o

kksmama,

I'm so happy for you that the granite is great. So the GC did almost everything?
Anybody else got a fab guy story?

o

Not to contradict but actually this Golden Lightening is not from Brazil. It is from Iran, yep that one, where the rough stone is hewn from the site and then sent to Italy where the slabs are cut and stabilized with mesh backing for shipping. It was listed as being from Italy but the stone yard gave us all the facts when I asked for the history of this unusual stone. My fabricator told me he has worked with Brazillian stone called this or the Golden Musk you referenced but that he found it to be greener with more brown veins in it. But no two slabs are ever the same. I looked at the Golden Musk at another yard and it was too green for our kitchen but was gorgeous.
What I can say is that all the hunting to find the right slabs for the existing cabinets and back splash was indeed worth it. It's all installed and has exceeded our expectations. Our fabricator did a great job and the 1/2 slab he found for our guest bath, Romano Blanco, is absolutely perfect and was priced right to make up for the cost of the Golden Lightening.
Now if the company that makes the cabinets would just deliver the three panels and door we need so our built in fridge and freezer and new broom closet could be finished we would be done. Having no choice but to match the existing cabinetry we were stunned by the cost and expected such a high end company to not to take 3 1/2 months to get these to us. They are supposed to be here next week so I should have pictures of the finished kitchen posted soon.
Am in love with my MIele oven - thanks for all the good advice from GW posters.
To answer your question, Hank, on choosing a fabricator here is how we did it. We asked my contractor, whom I have worked with several times now and trust for a reference. Then we went to the fabricator's site and looked at it and some work in progress. We asked for the names of 6 people for whom he had done work and they all let us see what he did for them and highly recommended him as one who measures meticulously and does excellent work. I have to say they were 100% correct. Since the Golden Lightening slabs were over our budget but so perfect we had to use them we wanted to be certain the fabricator was as picky and detail oriented as possible.

This post was edited by Texas29 on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 15:26

o

Congratulations Texas29 and good work learning the provenance of your stone! I think it would be really neat if you posted pictures, the slab and then the finished counters. Please?

o

I'll second the motion for pics there, Texas!

o

Yes, pics please Texas!

I did go ahead and pick out a backsplash last week. Loved it, so hope it works. Ran back to the granite place to check it against the slab, with samples of the cabinet colors. The main kitchen is the beach white. The bar and island are cocoa on cherry. Kitchen install is pushed out to October 7th, with templating around the 16th. Still so much to do... working on lighting, pulls, paint color, etc. This is for a beach condo, so really wanted to incorporate the blues/greens.

o

Joan,

We are neck and neck, so to speak. Cabinets due to be installed next week. Laying the floor right now!

Texas 29 can't wait for the very important date! Total reveal!

Karen

o

Karen, you are at least 2 weeks ahead! I'm excited for you! Can't wait to see your beautiful space. I love all your personal touches! Horse country theme will be so you, so warm and inviting! Good luck! Doc Henderson's in a month for a reveal?

o

My Blue Pearl is installed. Just one scratch on the cabinets which is smack dab in the middle of the range top section. Hope the cabinet guys can buff it to reduce the spot. It appears that the granite was sealed at the fabricator. No one asked if I wanted it or not. Oh well. The guys did a great job with the seams and fitting (except for the scratch). The marble has a grommet hole which I was talked into by husband and architect. If I don't need to use it, I will be mad. The whole point of the tv section is to hide cords. Don't see that happening. The electrician said he could bury everything in the wall and no one, except me liked that idea. Must be late, I am rambling.

Karen

o

Will post pics as soon as the RIGHT panels for the fridge and separate freezer columns are installed. Both myself and my contractor pleaded with the source for the cabinets (had to match existing chosen by previous owner) to come out and measure but they were positive they could work from the blueprints they used to do the original kitchen. So very WRONG and of course they were the wrong size and have to be redone. They are Downsview cabinets made in Canada and the company has a superb reputation but their only distributor in this area is somewhat short in the common sense dept. So Nov. 11 is the drop dead date we have been promised for delivery. As soon as they are in the pics will be posted.

o

Bummer! It will eventually be gorgeous! My quartzite is supposed to be templated today. It was supposed to be yesterday...

Joan

o

I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with Oyster Blue granite. I'm not sure it is a granite. AGM stoneyard said it is mined in Syria. They just got in a new shipment and we tagged a piece of the honed for our great room bar/bookcase/fireplace surround. I'm not really concerned about etching staining etc since it's not going into the kitchen/bath, but I am curious about the stone itself.

Is this a limestone or granite or something else? It is not composite, that much I'm sure of. The color in the honed and leathered pieces is much different than the polished stone. The polished seems to minimize the blue/green elements and highlights the brown. The honed really highlights the contrasts.

Here is a link that might be useful: AGM_Honed_BlueOyster

o

Congrats to you Texas29 on being almost there... the last bits are always the ones that drive us crazy. Thanks for the update on you stone. I am familiar with the Iranian one, and can't wait to see pictures.
karen.ohio congrats on your Blue Pearl.. great stone.. enjoy.
mlweaving_Marji... looks like a fossilized limestone to me.

o

Yes, that's a fossiliferous limestone. The tan and grey parts are the limestone sediment and the white parts are fossil shells. The shells are sort of sliced open lengthwise. Oyster-type shells are as good a guess as any, but it's hard to say without seeing it firsthand.

Why are they calling this granite? (facepalm)

o

Mlweaving_Marji I wish I had seen that stone! Very pretty. It would be a perfect piece in my family room, except I already installed carrera marble. :-)

Karen.Ohio

Appliances next week.

Thanks Hank-mountainmarble!

o

Thank you Hank and Karin. I think the woman at AGM when we were looking at stone called it limestone, but the website lumps it in with the granites.
It is gorgeous, and it is also a stone that you have to tag here when they first get a shipment or it's all gone. They got in something like 30 slabs, to split between 3 locations in the South. I got there 3 days after the shipment came in, and I had a choice of only 5 slabs left for this location. They wouldn't even let me look at the ones meant for Charleston or the other location.

o

Karin_mt, I don't know if this is the right thread to ask you about stone. I know there have been several. I clipped this one so I will use it.

I have been in the middle of a bathroom remodel. I will be using porcelain calacatta like tile. I found a slab of carrara that I liked fairly well months and months ago, and have put a deposit in place. Well now I am thinking that I want to switch out the stone to something else if I am able to do this. The yard has a Vietnamese stone that I can look at, so I have scheduled an appointment on Friday, when I look at my original slab again. The fellow says that the Vietnamese is cheaper. He also says that with the structure of this stone it is harder to stain. They have a table made in the stone in their consultation room. I really like the simplicity of it. It looks like thassos marble. I will take a piece of my porcelain tile to see how it will look. I also need to place my porcelain next to the cararra. I had a different porcelain when I selected the stone last spring.

I am doing a modern walnut cabinetry in the bathroom and am liking the quiet white.

What is your take on the Vietnamese marble? Thank you so much for all the information you have provided on these threads.

o

Hi all!

I'm flying down to Florida today. My quartzite is supposed to be installed today. It will be craned up 5 flights and brought in through my new sliding glass doors. Let's all say a prayer please! I was trying to limit the number of seems...

When I was there 2 weeks ago for the templating, I was short a couple a inches. I ended up picking out 2 new slabs of sea pearl quartzite. They were different, but I liked them equally. They have a little bit more green in them, which should look nice with the backsplash. I'll post pics!!!

Enduring, a picture helps a LOT on this thread to get good feedback. The picture can really tell the story...

Glad we are all moving along!!!!

Joan

o

My backsplash came in and I LOVE it!

Joan

o

Hi Enduring,

Yes, this is the spot for rock questions!

Generally, you can't say much about a rock based on its country of origin. Some rock yards will talk about Italian marbles being superior to Brazilian marbles, etc, but you really can't generalize that widely. It comes down to the individual rock. Even within a single quarry there is variation.

Certainly some marbles are more dense than others, and thus are more resistant to staining. This is easy to distinguish if they give you a sample to test. All marbles are soft and they all etch from acids.

So if you like this new marble, then that is the first requirement. The next step is to see if you can get a sample to bring home and mess with. And yes, do post a picture here and also tell us the name of the rock and I can google it.

Joan, wow, that is beautiful quartzite! I love the green in it, especially with that terrific backsplash! Installing your quartzite with a 5-story crane sounds like a recipe for a stomach ache. Good luck and I hope it all goes smoothly with no catasrophe. Keep us posted, and we *must* see pics of the quartzite with that backsplash!

Karin

o

JoanLast,
Your basket weave glass backsplash knocked me out! I love the 3 dimensional texture along with the sea glass color. Can you tell me the name and the manufacturer? Also, I am going with sea pearl slabs, too and I would love to see pictures of your whole kitchen. Please!

o

Swoon. This combination will be spectacular!

o

Sure! I'll take a picture of the box. They will finish the bar area today and grout on Monday. It looks amazing, even ungrouted. Pictures don't do justice. I picked a diamond sparkly grout. Hood installed Tuesday.

Joan

o

Here's the tile info
Joan

This post was edited by JoanLast on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 14:43

o

Joan,

I love that backsplash! I am with Karin, I would have had a heart attack watching them lifting that granite.

When you and I get together, you need to teach me how to post pictures on Garden web. The floor needs one more coat of finish, then we can move in. Bill hopes to fill the dumpster with a lot of stuff! HaHa!

Karen Go bucks!

o

Wow, Joan, please promise to post a reveal! I'll be looking around my house for something I can tile....

o

Karen,

I'm back in January. We'll go to Doc's and I'll teach you. I will post a reveal next week. My husband is so annoyed we can't stay there yet! Hopefully by the end of next week.

Joan

P.s. - fusion in guest bath. Moen faucet MIA - they lie every week about delivery date:-(

o

Sorry, pic didn't post.

o

Island sea pearl quartzite - island panels not installed yet. We picked where each section would go. Love the movement by the high top.

o

Joan,

I like the stone in the bath too!

Doc's continues with "renovations". I never thought it needed any since it was completely renovated not too many years ago. Fiesta Grande keeps announcing they will open soon and they have not opened either.

How about the Morgan House or Horsey Hall on Fontanelle near 36 if Doc's isn't open?

Karen

o

Karen,

Morgan House is 2 minutes from my house. I would love to go there. Let's e-mail about setting up something in January.

Joan

o

Okay!

Karen

o

Magnetic! Karin, what do you think of this?

My counters have a few tiny flecks of metal in them, some silvery, some gold/copper colored. The surface is very solid, doesn't appear at all flaky and doesn't seem to have been resined or to have any permeability. But today my kid notices that the overhang is weakly magnetic! Fridge magnets and bag clips with magnets don't stick but this stronger cube magnet (part of a fun toy, Aaron's thinking putty) does! Picture of underside
 photo magnet_zps4e1c83b7.jpg
closeup of polished surface, see small lateral lines below reflection of light
 photo closeup_zpsd269129e.jpg
 photo distance_zps6300c7b9.jpg

o

Yup, that makes sense. The metallic-looking coppery or silvery bits are likely not metal, but rather mica flakes. But your rock contains iron-rich minerals which is why it has that dark color.

Of course, a rock that is "rodded" with rebar inside it would also be magnetic, but only in those areas.

o

Fascinating! Rocks are SO cool! The magnet is pretty equally attracted in all area of the overhang, though the chunky white parts (quartz, right?) don't attract it. There aren't any rods.

o

Right!
The white parts are quartz and feldspar - actually it looks like mostly quartz or all quartz in your case. Nice work!

Agreed: rocks are cool! :)

o

How funny is this? The slab yards make up names but nothing as descriptive as "s'moresite". http://youtu.be/pg_jKJFbA2A

The linked one is not as funny, but I learned something. And think "lasagna" is a gneiss name ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Geology kitchen

o

karin_mt, thanks for all your advice and expertise! I've been following these threads and have learned so much from you.

I have a question about the "glass test." None of the stone yards I've visited are willing to give me samples of the actual slabs I'm considering. But, I have gotten samples of the same granite / quartzite type (e.g., old samples of Super White or Lorena White they had lying around). I've broken those samples and been able to scratch glass with them -- but, they've also ALL etched when I did etch tests.

It does seem, however, that they did not etch as much as marble (I tested a piece of marble along side). So, can I conclude that a) just because a stone scratches glass does not mean it won't etch but b) if it does scratch glass but later etches, it probably won't etch as much as marble?

Thanks for your input!

o

Hi Anj,

Sorry for my slow response, I haven't been around much over the holiday.

Good for you for doing your research and getting samples. However, it's not normal for a rock to be able to scratch glass and also be etched. Usually it's one or the other, or there is some other unusual factor. Some possible explanations:

- Are you sure the samples are really scratching the glass? Most rocks will leave a trail of some sort on a piece of glass, but you'll need to rub your finger on the glass to see if there is an actual, permanent gouge.

- Is the piece of glass you are using coated in any way such that the samples might be scratching the coating and not the glass itself?

- Were the samples sealed? Is it possible that what looked like etching was actually something going on with the sealer?

Marble usually does etch worse than Super White, which is often a dolomitic marble that is a tiny bit more resistant to acid. So that part of your result makes sense.

Report back with more info and I might be able to help.

Good luck!
Karin

o

Hi Karin - I just found all the posts regarding super white and have spent the last 3 hours reading. I had beautiful super white supposedly granite counters and island installed a couple of weeks ago. While installing a glass tile back splash a 1 inch by 1 inch glass tile fell about 2 inches to the counter top and the tile broke leaving 3 marker tip size dots on the counter where the stone seems to have chipped out. I thought to myself that this should not happen if this is actually granite. Then a couple days later we had a fruit basket on our island and one of the pieces of fruit had rippened and dripped down onto the counter and dried. I used the cleaner the installers had left and even with much cleaning it left almost a finger print type mark. I should mention that we had them honed and sealed (supposedly with a 15 yr warranty from etching or staining). After reading all of these posts I remembered I still had a sample of the super white and so I took a fairly dull steak knife and it easily etched/cut into the sample (I was horrified thinking of my boys who have made comments about how they no longer will need cutting boards - OMGosh - I will die if my counters look like the sample). In any case the sample has rough edges so I grabbed one of my left over glass tiles and although I had to apply some pressure it did leave a scratch on the glass and one particular rough edge of the sample was able to dig into the glass. So I'm confused as to what I am dealing with - aside from a beautiful super expensive kitchen waiting to become a full on disaster once my 6 children start to fully use our newely remodeled kitchen. (I might also add that the fabricator broke 3 slabs through this process and mentioned that they have had many issues with breakage when dealing with this stone). Any advise you can give is much appreciated. I am not sure how to upload photos, but my super white is identical to the others that have been pictured.

o

My white macaubus quartzite was just installed and I love it! Here's a photo.

o

oMG Strayer, its fabulous! I've been wondering how your project was coming, at one point I almost had some very similar elements as you I think. Was it you that had the steel gray leathered on the perimeter with the white mac?
congrats on that island, its really beautiful

o

Thanks!! On the perimeter it's leathered antique brown. The stone shop called it "Marron Cohiba."

o

Hi Andrea,

Uh oh. It does sound like you have marble not quartzite. On your sample, try some lemon juice and see what happens. I'm surprised that it scratched glass but all the other attributes sound more like marble than quartzite. It's not "granite" no matter what.

But try the lemon juice or vinegar, especially on an unsealed part of your sample, then let me know what happens.

Strayer, that island is lust-worthy! You must be thrilled. :)

o

Hi Karin, I have purchased my slab of Magma Gold and thanks to you, I know that it is a gneiss! A poster on my original thread said she has this stone, sold as Cosmos Gold, and that there were lots of fabrication issues with this stone. I have read ALL the threads/info I can find on Magma Gold and Cosmos Gold and I am still confused about whether or not these are the same stones. I had previously read about Cosmos Gold being soft and I asked at the stone yard about this and was told that my slab is not the same as Cosmos. He showed me a Cosmos Gold slab which had very similar colors, but not the same linear movement as my stone. He also said that my granite was originally named Sedna, but that the name was changed to Magma Gold when the quarry in Brazil was sold to an Italian company. It has only been available for a few years, since 2007 I think. So what do you think, does this Magma Gold have the same difficulties as Cosmos Gold? Or is it a completely different stone as I am being told? Thanks!

o

Karin - I didn't have a lemon so I used a lime. I am thinking that it should be about the same? In any case I put the juice on the sample, which has a honed finish and was sealed to supposedly prevent it from etching. Above the lime juice mark you can also see the cut marks from the dull knife I used. I also tried vinegar both on a cut line and not (it did not bubble when applied, but it did etch it, although not as bad as the lime). I also tried hot sauce, red juice, ketchup and jelly. All left etching, hotsauce and lime juice the worst and the hotsauce stained terrible on one of the cut lines.

o

Here's a pic of our finished kitchen with the super white. Our biggest issue now is how to proceed? We have 6 kids ranging from 2-14 and our goal in our kitchen remodel was to have a beautiful family friendly kitchen. I can live with some wear and tear, but if my counters end up like the sample I might have a break down :( We had to pay for half up front and haven't paid the remaining balance. I should also mention that while the island slab is an original pick the counter is not. When they installed the counter slab I noticed a crack completely through it that they had filled - it looked like they used white out. I called for an explanation and found out the slab I chose broke during fabrication. They picked another slab they thought matched, however it also broke during fabrication as well, but they said that filling it and installing it was acceptable. The break line was filled with what looked like white out. In addition I was told by another granite installer that it goes against industry standard to install granite that has broken all the way through. If it is a fissure crack it can be filled and still installed, but with a complete crack it isn't supposed to be installed. Anyone else hear of this? So that said we got them to agree to install a new slab - which is the one currently installed. Once it was in and the tile was done we were washing the counters and noticed that they filled a break in front of the sink. I have no idea how how much this weakens the counter. If it truly is industry standard to not install a broken slab then this slab shouldn't have been installed either. Bottom line though is that we thought we purchased granite that would hold up to our kids use and this obviously isn't going to withstand staining, etching and probably breakage. I need opinions on how to proceed...do we ask for our money back? I don't know if they will want their counter back if they refund us, but we will have to pay for re-tiling and plumber again (for the 3rd time). I'm not even sure if they will give us our money back. We definitely won't pay the remaining half of the bill, which would be a good deal if we wouldn't ultimately need new counters, but I don't think these are going to hold up. Suggestions? Also, I love some of the pics people have placed of their quartzite - would the be a better option than granite as far as durability?

o

Andrea, that is heartbreaking! I can offer you more sympathy than advice. Your kitchen looks gorgeous! I agree it has to have the function you want for you to have peace of mind. I had some small issues at my vacation condo and the guys came back. They actually replaced my master bath marble with a granite, because the fill was coming off at the first washing. I think it depends on the integrity of the company. You do need to communicate what you want them to do. We also paid half up front. After they replaced the master bath counter, we paid everything but $2K because they needed to send a "finisher" out to work on the fusion in the guest bathroom. My sister was there and she said they did a great job. I do love the quartzite in the kitchen. We entertained a lot over the holidays. So far no problems... I am going to post a reveal one of these days. Our furnace broke last week and a pipe burst, so we've been busy. All is fixed, so I will figure out how to do that. Best of luck Andrea!!! So sorry you are going through this.

o

Andrea,
Super White is a dolometic marble not granite.
It contains calcites and will etch. An impregnating sealer for stone will not stop or prevent etching period.
Sealers for stone live below the surface and as long as the surface is exposed etching will occur. Some topical coatings will prevent etching but then you have plastic and not stone. Coatings can fail and require maintenance as well.
Anyway you have been misinformed about your purchase.
The choice would be yours to replace or not.
Super white can be honed down lower so the etches may not show as much. Also etching can be removed by a stone refinisher from time to time. It can be expensive.If you need countertop material that is little or no maintenance this wouldn't be for you.
True Quartzite would be a much better option for you.

o

Sorry to be away from this forum so long, but a belated Happy New Year to all.
Fishy Mom, Magma Gold and Sedna are very similar in look and properties, Cosmos gold is a totally different stone, usually with lots of flashy mica in it. It is consequently extremely soft and crumbly. That being said let me be perfectly clear about the practices in my industy !!! NAMES MEAN ALMOST NOTHING!!!! THEY ARE INTERCHANGED, SWITCHED AND ABUSED, Post pics help getting a good ID and Use a very reputable fabricator! preferably one who is a member of the Marble Institute of America, our trade group,which at least has a code of Ethics and acceptable practises and standards.

Andrea, so terribly sorry to hear that you've had so many problems. As a trade professional I can offer you a some information and a bit of advise, in no given order. 1st pay them nothing more until you have some satisfaction, if ever! 2nd lime, lemon or vinegar are all acidic and make no difference, so let me digress and tell you what I tell my customers: marbles and limestones are Calcium based minerals and just like Tums ( in essence ground up white marble), are acid neutralizers. There is no legitimate sealer/impregnator that will stop the acid reaction, they slow the penetration of liquids into the body of the stone. This acid reaction is called "etching", as opposed to "staining" which is the discoloration of the stone when a liquid penetrates the sealer/impregnator. Stone stains when liquids, oil or water based stay in contact with the stone for too long a time and penetrate past the sealer. Most stains can be polticed out. I also tell my clients that if they want their countertops to look new and pristine stick with non calcium based materials, ie granite or quartzite, and if they don't mind the "patina of age" marbles and limestones are fine. Honed surfaces are recommended but more etching will occur so wipe them down with a diluted white vinegar when they look blotchy and in essence "hone" them a bit more.
Broken tops should not be installed, breaks at sinks are not uncommon. Did your fabricator use rods to reinforce that area?
In the end I'm guessing that you are not going to be happy with the "Patina of Age"on the Super White and that a hard granite or quartzite is what you need.
Before I can advise you on trying to settle with your current fabricator, I would ask you a critical question, who told you the Super White was a granite in the first place? Let me know and I'll tell what I think you can do.
Again sorry to hear your horror stories. After 30 plus years in the industry I can unfortunately tell you I hear them way too often, and a little education could have avoided them all.
Let us know

o

After reading of Andrea's problem (so very sorry Andrea that you are having problems), I thought I should ask about the "granite" that I am thinking of using. It is called Verde Borgogna. Is it a granite or marble? Will it etch? I can't seem to get a piece of it to bring home to try. I welcome all information that I can get...good or bad!

o

Andrea,

I'm glad the fabricators are chiming in here too. I agree with what they are saying.

I'm in agreement with what Hank asked. Did they tell you it was granite? Is it labeled as granite? If so, this will be a very interesting test case. I've wondered if the misrepresentation/misunderstanding of Super White would come to this.

One thing you might do is try to document that they sold this rock as granite. Are there photos of the slabs labeled as granite, images on their website or other documentation that shows they are selling it as granite? If so, this is information I'd collect now so that this doesn't become a 'he said, she said' situation.

There are two additional red flags here. One, they told you that the sealer prevents etching. Wrong. Two, they installed a cracked or broken piece. Wrong! So I'd be inclined to not take them at their word.

What a bummer you are going through this. I'd make sure you keep notes and take photos of everything from here on out. And keep us posted, but don't share too many details publicly here because all of this can be dredged up if this turns into a legal issue. If you have geologic questions you can contact me via the GW link.

I feel for you - good luck and keep us posted!

Karin

o

Muppetmom,

Good for you to learn from other's misfortune! This particular stone is not granite in the geological sense, no. I am always wary of ID-ing a stone based just on a photo because as you can see from the problems above, rocks can look alike even though they have different properties.

That said, this looks like something in the serpentine family. I just Googled the name and came up with some promising links, including one here on GW. But the bottom line: if you can't get a sample to test, I'd walk away, plain and simple.

o

Yes - I was clearly told that the super white was granite. I even mentioned that I was shocked that they had a granite that looked like marble as I hadn't seen it at any other granite yards. Karin - funny that you mentioned the website, as earlier today I took a screen shot showing that they list it as one of the granite colors - check out Capital Granite.com
They had mentioned that they had some issues with shiny finish when citric juice got on it and that they had no issues when the super white was honed and sealed. so we paid for the honed finish and a 15 yr warrenty - which obviously is a joke at this point. I'd really love to get my money back and find new stone elsewhere since they have installed 2 broken slabs and either are unaware of the stones they are selling or are misrepresenting what they are selling. I figure I am already out the cost for a plumber to come back as well as having to redo my backsplash.
Any suggestions? Is this worth going to small claims court over? I am not looking for free counters - I really just wanted to get what I paying for and I don't feel like I can trust this company to give me that. I guess I should have done more research, but I thought that I could trust what seemed to be industry professionals. Guess not :(

o

Andrea,
Indeed Capital represents this as a granite. The citric acid issue is a dead give away though. If it were me I would express to them that you're unhappy (to say the least) and see what they say. If honed was an ok finish for you maybe an occasional wipe down to "re-hone" would work for you. If not ask what they are willing to do. Escalate only as needed to get what you want. From my own experience court is a HUGE energy suck and a waste. Try to resolve this another way. Feel free to contact me by email.

o

Muppetmom,
I believe Karen is correct that this is a serpentine, and I have worked stones similar to this for years without complaint. If the slab you're looking at has white areas these will probably etch. The stone is hard and a bit brittle to work, but a top notch fabricator can do it.
Also as a general note the geology of the stone is not the critical item, as most of the stones in the market are not as simple as the labels attached, ie granite, marble... etc. The real issue is will it give you the performance and look you want into the future. The industry definitions are not equal to the geological definition. Karin correct me if I'm wrong but geologically granite is only allowed to have three minerals quartz,feldspar and biotites, otherwise the stone is geologically called something else. These definition are too tight. Consequently as the industry is/was more concerned about the performance of the particular stone in a particular use, it adopted the simplified granite, marble, limestone and now quartzite definitions. As the number of stones and the number of small companies has blossomed much of this intent has been lost. Still a reputable company should be able to tell you about the functionality of the stone you're thinking of using.
Ask for a sample, do the tests, but more importantly express the performance you expect, write that into the contract. If you're asking for the impossible an expert will inform you as to reality. Listen closely. We shouldn't all have to try to become experts on everything we do!

o

Thanks, Karen and Hank! I am now worried about this choice for our granite. I started with a beautiful white marble (to go with white cabinets and medium dark flooring), but it stained with red wine. Then, I switched to a beautiful brown marble, but it etched with a lime quite badly. So, I was thinking wood countertops. And, finally I found this lovely organic verde borgona "granite" or "serpentine". I love the different flowing greens and the way the browns are interwoven. The slab I have chosen has very little white if any and is mostly a beautiful melange of forest green and other organic greens. I just adore it. The only other rock that has spoken to me recently is a Vermont verde Antique that I haven't been able to find anywhere in person.

How does serpentine do in a kitchen? I don't want to have to baby my counters too much. Or fuss at someone when they drop a lime on the counter from their margarita or spill a bit of wine. Should I keep looking? I will definitly go see my slab and try the scratch test. Can you tell me how I should do this? Any thing else I should ask? Or do?

Thanks so much for you help!

o

Thanks for the feedback Hank. More than the etching I am concerned that it is very easily cut and scratched. With these marble counters and a glass top stove we don't even have a surface suitable for cutting a pizza. So would you suggest asking for our money back and going else where or do you think it might be better to ask them to replace with a true granite or quartzite and also to pay for re-tiling?

o

Andrea,
If you can get them to cover everything and replace it with a more suitable material then you get what you need at no or minimal extra cost and they get to not lose everything. The best of a bad situation and I'll bet they no longer sell Super White as a granite!
If they are not cooperative you can always go elsewhere.
Keep us posted and good luck.

o

Muppetmom,
Serpentines don't tend to etch and are very hard. Vermont Verde Antique is also a serpentine, not all green marbles are though. As I said earlier we have used serpentines in a number of kitchens over the years and haven't heard any complaints.

o

Andrea,

I think the choice is yours about how best to handle it with the shop. They were not truthful to you and they misrepresented their product, so the fault lies squarely with them. I would start by asking for whatever solution is most preferable to you and work from there. I think it is reasonable to ask for reimbursement of the plumber's work and the tiling. Of course, being nice and understanding is a good way to go, but you can do that while still being firm.

I hope that they learn from this and no longer mis-classify Super White. That would save others from a similar fate.

Please keep us posted!

o

Muppetmom,

There are several threads with info about the glass test, one is linked below. Regardless of the name of the stone you'll want to test for hardness (the scratch test), etching (with acids), staining and perhaps water absorption. You can also do things like saw a knife on it and other fun and destructive behaviors. :)

Hank, you are so right about the naming convention of rocks. I'm OK with the names not being exactly correct in every case because the full-on geologic names can be awkward. But the industry can do much, much better than they are. I expect salespeople to be well-educated in whatever they are selling, regardless of the industry they work for, and the mis-naming, misrepresenting and overall misunderstanding of stone is kind of embarrassing. Obviously that is not the case for you and others who post here, but anecdotally we have no shortage of customers here on GW who have been told things that are flat out wrong. I certainly appreciate you, Srosen and OldRyder who help so many people with their questions here.

Here is a link that might be useful: rock thread, part III

o

Hi Karin,

Thanks so much for your response to my question (and apologies for my late reply -- I didn't realize that there are no notifications from GardenWeb when you get a response!).

I am pretty sure that my samples are truly scratching the glass vs. coating (and I tried several different bottles -- Pellegrino and a few different types of beer bottles).

It sounds like Andrea had the same experience: her sample scratched glass, but the sample and countertops have also etched.

What are your thoughts on what is going on, since that is inconsistent with the properties of these stones? Is it perhaps possible that these are a mixture of different stones -- that is, some portions of a slab are elements of quartzite and some are marble-like? Such that it can scratch glass but also etch?

Thanks!
Anj

o

Strayer -- your countertops are so lovely -- congratulations! Have you had any issues with etching? (I am likely going to use the same material for my kitchen). Thanks!

o

Hi Anj,

Yes, I noticed that both of you had similar results for those tests. Without the rocks in hand I can't say what's really going on.

Thinking about how these rocks form, marbles begin their lives on tropical ocean floors. Calcium carbonate is the material shells, corals and some plankton are made of. These shells dissolve in the seawater and then re-precipitate on the ocean floor. This calcium carbonate sediment becomes limestone and if buried deeply enough it can become marble. As the original sediments are laid down it's possible to have some sandy layers in there although that is not common. So that's one possibility but it's not too likely.

If either of you want to mail me your samples I'd love to investigate further!

o

Such an informative thread!

I, too, chose the super white. And now i am concerned! I was not able to etch it, but it does scratch easily with a sharp knife.
Could you look at my sample and tell me what you think, please? We were going to go with honed version, if it makes any difference…

o

the whole slab

o

Yulia, really, no etching? If that is true then you may have actual quartzite. Try scratching glass.

I can't tell much from the photo, sorry. The only thing that helps is to know how the rock behaves when you test it.

o

btw it says quartzite on the label

o

Well.... I think we can safely conclude that the labels don't mean much, unfortunately. ;)

But if yours turns out to be real quartzite that would indeed be cause for celebration.

o

hm, i just remembered that the photos of the slab and the label are from one store and the sample piece if from the supplier next door…. Sorry for the confusion…My head is spinning with too much information….And i think the second place (with the sample) called it "granite"

Both suppliers have Super White which is more gray (they said each shipment arrives with more and more gray in it) and also they have Premium Super White which is more white then gray, but the price is premium, too :)

o

YuliaO, I don't understand why your sample wouldn't etch but
I just spoke to a friend who knows the quarry and the quarry owner of the Super White. It is not a quartzite and is not sold from the quarry as a quartzite. If you are after the durability of granite or quartzite watch out!

o

Karin
I couldn't agree more and I am often embarrassed by the lack of education by my competitor fabricators, and especially by the slab yards sales forces. I'll say more on this at another moment but for now everyone, Performance is the key element and must be more important than asthetics!

o

hank-mountainmarble what is it then? marble?

the piece i have is sealed. The one i had before was not sealed and it etched.. My husband threw away the first sample (don't ask why) so i went in and got another one…

I'll try again…So i cut the lemon in half, put one half on grey part and other half on white part. How soon would it etch?

o

Karin, i've seen somewhere discussion about testing with glass but can't find it….Could you point me to it, please?

o

I am talking to myself here :))
It etched alright this time :) Left half a lemon on it for about an hour…look how cool, it made the see through parts stand out more! i think the movement of the color hides etching pretty good….

o

double post sorry

This post was edited by YuliaO on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 17:25

o

Uh oh, well there you have it. Join the Super White marble club.

The rock thread is linked about 10 posts up from here. I put it in for Muppetmom yesterday.

We are nearly at the end of this thread too. I will start version five!

o

Link to the next thread in the sequence, since this one is just about full.

Rock on!

(couldn't resist that one)

Here is a link that might be useful: Part Five: the quartzite drama continues!

o

well, it easily scratched the bottle pretty deep…not sure my iPhone photo can represent anything

o

OK, so this is the third one in a row that scratches glass and etches. A head-scratcher for sure.

o

So just so I have my details clear - quartzite and granite are the best choices for durability in a kitchen correct? Did I read that quartzite can still etch, but doesn't scratch and that granite doesn't etch or scratch?

We spoke with the owner of the granite place and they will replace our stone. As much as I love the super white look I need something that won't cut when the pizza cutter rolls off onto the counter and that won't etch badly if things like fruit juice are spilled on it. Any suggestions on what type of stone is best as well as any more specific suggestions on a light color that has a similar look to super white? Thank you all so very much for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here