Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gale1965

Ordered our house and I'm nervous about getting so many drawers..

gale1965
10 years ago

in the kitchen. The only door cabinets will be the uppers and the ones with the cooktop and sink. All other base cabinets and the island have drawers. Some deep and some regular. I hope I love them!

Comments (12)

• function_first
    10 years ago

Smart move, you will be glad you did. Number one regret of mine in the finished kitchen is getting anything other than drawers for the base cabinets. They are so much more useful than cabinet doors -- pat yourself on the back, you did a very good thing!

• andreak100
    10 years ago

No need to be nervous - drawers are a wonderful thing. Hopefully you did a little bit of layout work - planning on where you were putting things so that you have the right number of deep vs. shallow drawers.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I am SO looking forward to drawers in my new kitchen. Currently I have 6; I will have 14!

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I installed a lower ratio of drawers to doors in this kitchen than in my last one because I discovered that lifting heavy objects out of drawers caused me to use my lower back as a fulcrum and aggravated low back issues, whereas kneeling or squatting to remove items from low cabinets was less of a low back work-out. Ideally, the heavy stuff could be placed at waist or shoulder level, but I didn't want a lot of uppers or hutches. I would practice some exercises, lifting bowls, pots and pans, stacks of plates, etc., from various positions. Try to decide in advance which items (weights) will be placed at what level. I know GWers, almost to a one, recommend all drawers, but there can be good reasons for opting for a combination of drawers and doors.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. There will also be 2 tall pantries, one 18" and one 44" so anything heavy can be put at waist level easily. I'm so over squatting on the kitchen floor, peering into the cabinets. And I was convinced I wanted all roll outs until I read the wise posts here about how they're not all that either.

• Donaleen Kohn
    10 years ago

Our kitchen now has 37 cabinet drawers, 24 of them in the island. And we have two pieces of furniture in the kitchen with an additional six drawers. Drawers are good.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, that is a lot of drawers! I'll have 7 deep drawers (4 will be 24" wide and 2 will be 30" wide-the last one is only 12" wide) and 11 regular ones. We're getting a modular so I was somewhat limited in changes but I did change what I could. Our salesman told me this in an email:
    I've never had a customer this detail oriented about the kitchen cabinets so it is a learning experience for me. I mean this in a good way so don't take it wrong.

haha. It's true-I'm high maintenance. :p

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

I'm currently cooking in my parents' 1980 kitchen, which has all bottom cupboards with a few roll-outs -- I find myself disliking them, since they are much more difficult to pull out than regular drawers (less heavy-duty slides perhaps?). My mom has, of necessity, all her heavy cookware on these.

Also, things fall off the back too easily, whereas they'd be better coralled in drawers. And there's the awful screech when you don't open the cab door far enough and hit it with the rollout shelf. ;-/

• jckgmk
    10 years ago

Those of you with drawers- please define what is "deep" and "regular." I am laying things out on my cutting mat with a grid to get a sense of width and length of my drawer sizes but unclear about depth. Thanks.

• jckgmk
    10 years ago

Those of you with drawers- please define what is "deep" and "regular." I am laying things out on my cutting mat with a grid to get a sense of width and length of my drawer sizes but unclear about depth. Thanks.

• xc60
    10 years ago

My pot & pan drawers are 10" deep. 30" wide. My regular drawers on top are 4" deep and mostly 16" wide. The ones over pot & pan drawers are are also 30" wide.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The deepest drawers I could get were 6-7/8". Deep enough for most of my pans and any that don't fit can go in the door cabinet beneath the cooktop or in one of the pantries.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz