Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calizzy

Kitchen suggestions

calizzy
10 years ago

Hi! I am looking to do some updating to my kitchen and need some suggestions. We are definitely looking for budget ideas. I was thinking about either staining or painting the cabinets. White was my first idea, but on second thought I am thinking about a darker. I LOVE the look of this kitchen

https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-contemporary-kitchen-denver-phvw-vp~590396-Residence-contemporary-kitchen-denver

Also, I definitely need new counters, the ones I have are in really bad shape. So my thoughts were to maybe stain the cabinets darker like in the photo, cut out the center of 2 of the cabinets and put in glass, add modern handles, and put in some sort of white countertop. The floors will be ceramic wood-look tiles eventually (we plan on doing it throughout the house). I will need a new sink and faucet too. Do you think it;s possible to get my cabinets to be the color of the ones in the link? Would paint or stain be better? Any thoughts on my ideas or any other completely different ideas?? I'm open to all suggestions!

Here is a link that might be useful: [love this kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-contemporary-kitchen-denver-phvw-vp~590396)

Comments (5)

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

I prefer your stain color for your kitchen,,,if you want to open it up and have a more expanded footprint as in the picture,then the contrast of dark with a colored backsplash and anothercolor for the counter can work. You might find satisfaction with the medium tone that you already have/medium tone counters/a stylish but not too aggressive or bold backsplash, stick with your floor and spend money on new fridge and range. Be a little spendy with some knobs/handles.Your cabinets sit nicely under your soffit.....bring some counter samples home and look for an appliance upgrade for starters. What is the current condition of the cabinets?

• calizzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The finish on the cabinets is wearing off in places. Where you grab to open the doors, it's quite worn. I was planning on upgrading my appliances as I see good deals. We recently got the microwave for $150 at a discount warehouse where they sell home depot and sears returns. I was going to look for more deals like that, or wait for black friday.

• localeater
    10 years ago

I think your cabinets would look lovely dark. Do a google search for "gardenweb gel stain" and you will find instructions.
    To get closer to your inspiration photo, which I love- you need a little more open space. Can you can spare the storage, on the stove wall to remove all the cabinets, replace with open shelves and a chimney hood?

• LoPay
    10 years ago

You could squeeze a feature storage or visual interest by having a pendant shelf or a valance above your sink/peninsula. Then have lighting flush mounted on the underside of the valance./shelf.

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

assessing the condition of the cabinets must include 1. condition of carcass 2.condition of drawers and glide systems 3 shelves-sq footage adequacy and thickness/strength/ integrity of coating or finish surface. 4. hinge durability on all doors 5. presence of cracked,separated or weakened seams 6. storage type and amt the setup provides you 7.future potential of cabinets assuming the assessment passes a threshold that is accepted by you to invest budget money to work with this and get another"life" from the cabinets.The number of cabs is not great-replacement would provide you security for future time and the cost would probably be recouped, and it would be a chance to "redo" things in your space. However- the look of the cabinets is certainly acceptable...that's why a more thorough scrutiny will probably help you with this part of your decision.