Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyd76

Annie Sloan Chalk paint?? Help me de-ugly my kitchen!

MommyD76
9 years ago

We bought this kitchen a year ago knowing that in 3-5 years we would be gutting it to the studs. I thought I could live with the red cabinet doors--turns out, I can't!

The cabinets are the original 70's cabinets so the doors are just flat. The previous owners painted the cabinets white and the doors IU Crimson. Red is my least favorite color!

I've thought about painting the doors white but I can't imagine how much mess and work it would be to sand the red a bit, prime (multiple times?) and paint (at least 2 coats). I've got lots of things to paint in this ugly house and I don't want to spend too much time on something that will be going in a dumpster in a few years.

Someone told me that Annie Sloan chalk paint would not require any sanding and not as many coats of paint. Is that correct? Will their white cover red without looking pink??

My other thought was to paint the doors a different color (a darkish gray probably) and leaving the cabinets white. Will that just continue looking crazy? I can't find any pictures online of cabinets and doors in two colors so maybe that is just not done??

I'd love some guidance!

Updated to add photo, I hope. Well, sideways is better than nothing!

This post was edited by MommyD76 on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 19:45

Comments (36)

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

In my experience it will take a lot of coats, and given the cost of her paint it'll be expensive. I painted two bookcases with her paint and each one took a quart of paint. They each could have used another coat but I couldn't afford any more paint!

• Vertise
    9 years ago

You can make your own chalk paint. It is not hard. Hit the blogs. You' ll find lots of examples and tutorials.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Pop over to the Home Decorating forum here at GW and check out SunnyCottage's recent posting about repainting her kitchen cabinets -- might be just the way to handle your cabinets too! :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I used AS chalk paint and found:
    1. yes, it's expensive
    b. yes, it requires no sanding, etc.
    c. it covers a A LOT with a LITTLE paint.

So, I'd say if you go for the distressed look and don't mind if there's some red peeking through (maybe) and wax your cabinets, then I'd say to go for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie Sloan chalk paint kitchen

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Chalk paint isn't meant to be a hard wearing cleanable surface. I can't imagine anything less suited to a kitchen environment!

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I believe AS has done kitchen cabinets herself and they held up very well. She has used the technique for decades successfully. Do some googling. You can either wax or poly over the finish. Short term, it's worth a shot.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

You registered today to plug AS paint? Sounds like sales & marketing spam to me, not credible information.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

This person (link) put floor finish poly over the AS chalk paint cabinets.

Apparently, there's also an AS lacquer. Check here. They discuss how durable this is.
    http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/2013/02/kitchen-cabinets-tutorial.html

Here is a link that might be useful: AS chalk paint kitchen

• feisty68
    9 years ago

OP, I think your kitchen is pretty cute and I enjoy the retro look of your cabinets. Because your cabinet doors are flat, it should be relatively simple to remove them and the hardware, then prep and paint properly. Big project, yes. I've read quite a bit about chalk paint on kitchen cabinets and I don't think the finish would be durable enough for my household, even with wax or other finish on top. YMMV.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

ASCP and CeCe Caldwell's paint is shockingly durable and very suited for kitchens and bathrooms when sealed!.
    Keep in mind that the wax suggested comes off with Windex, which is with what I clean my cabinets and counters. I sealed the pieces I've done with a poly acrylic (no yellowing) and they're lovely.

You can also make your own chalk paint, which when sealed, is perfectly durable, too. It's just too porous (think matte finish) not to seal. I did a couple pieces my whisking in a bit of water, then the Plaster of Paris until it was a nice thickness. It doesn't take a lot to cover. But seal it!

Don't let the name "chalk" paint deter you or let you make judgments about it without experience. You can do some lovely things. I don't care for ASCP simply because French Linen, Duck Egg Blue and a couple other colors are EVERY FREEKIN' WHERE and I like my things and life to be different. I make my own.

• young-gardener
    9 years ago

You can do big things in here! I haven't used ASCP on cabinets, but I have used it on furniture (dresser, nightstands, desk, mirror). For those, it has held up very well. Before embarking on furniture, I'd painted a full kitchen using regular paint, and OH what a task. For me, it's like this: if we can't do the kitchen in our soon-to-be-home right away like we're planning, I'll be taking down the uppers and ASCPing the lowers. NO WAY will I go to the trouble of sanding/priming/priming/painting/painting again. (especially with a one year old running around now) The regular paint was a bear to clean and still stained, so I figure ASCP can't be any worse, if I wax it. Also, I'm considering using a color instead of my beloved white, just for extra security. (Side note: we did a highchair in white ASCP and sealed with wax. My DH left blueberries on it once, and I never got it out. Not that you'll be mashing blueberries all over your cabinets....lol!) As for costs: I did 2 night stands, a huge mirror, a full sized dresser, a high chair, and a desk using the same two containers of ASCP. They aren't empty in the slightest. I was covering dark wood, and I didn't distress but went pretty heavy with my coverage instead. Good luck! I can't see what you do with your space. SO much possibility in there :)

• valmooreinphx
    9 years ago

I haven't tried chalk paint - too expensive to interest me. I painted my last kitchen with regular interior paint from behr, it held up well for years and probably cost less than $40 total for supplies and paint. I didnt sand (shhh!) I used a deglosser. It was a super easy budget redo.

I'd go the same color across everything, but im not a fan of the boxes and doors being different colors.

Best of luck!

• mellyc123
    9 years ago

If you are planning to hand paint vs spray, it will take a LOT of thin coats to get a nice even finish. You could also get bleed thru even if you go with a dark color.

I have tried AS and I am not a fan. The only chalk painted projects I have liked the finish on have sprayed on vs hand painted.

Have you looked at the rustoleum kitchen transformation product. It also says no stripping/sanding/priming and is made for kitchens.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Bleed thru: A clear coat of spray-on shellac irst.

Paint normally, One of the beauties of chalk paint is it doesn't require many thin coats.

If you're looking for a smooth, factory finish, when you've done your final coat of paint, rub it down with your hand in a brown paper bag. It's like the finest sandpaper in the world. Even after a finish coat layer.

I am looking at trying a deglosser, though, for using latex enamel. I make my own chalk paint, I think I mentioned and love it, but I think works best for antiquing.

I'm thinking, though, this whole procedure is like a weight loss magic pill: you get what you pay for.
    In my case, it's people who take a 1.5 hour yoga class, (even gentle or injury) and think they're going to magically lose weight. or are instantly relaxed. Well, the media told them...

My point is that no matter what product you use, you result will depend upon what you put into it.
    Either way, I'd like to see pictures!

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

I love chalk paint for the cute things I find at Goodwill, but I can't imagine that the finish would hold up well in a kitchen. I suggest you use the chalk paint on an item you are willing to use as a test. I have used Annie Sloan, but my local paint store carries one called Cottage Paints and I am going to try that next because it goes on sale periodically. And there are more colors. And just to clarify, I am not plugging either brand. I registered years ago.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Chalk paint's a great invention for furniture and might even be used on cabinets with some sort of detail.

But the dead-flat '60s cabinets in the photo need paint with some type of sheen to look like anything because they have absolutely no relief or detailing.

What chalk paint will do on those is create brushstrokes or texture that will show. I would go for some type of self-leveling paint with a satin or semi-gloss finish. This likely means sanding but maroon is murder to cover and the only thing worse than one coat of flat paint with brushstrokes would be two.

Something close to the color of the stainless DW would make a big improvement on the base cabs. I've also seen Ben Moore's Bitter Chocolate create a stunning kitchen with similar cabinets.

I'd also do the top cabinets all the color of the tile and lose the rick rack over the window -- it's super dated. I'd paint out the red frame on the windows and go with a single large shade with valance, if possible but nothing frilly. The difference will be surprising with only those changes.

I wouldn't forget to paint out the hvac vent on top. Whoever did this kitchen had outline-itis -- an air vent painted to show is whack.

If the hinges are in good shape they could become accent pieces. I'd change knobs to handles -- check out the Hardware Love kitchen on the top of the link. It's a different style but the idea is there. Paint and hardware would make a big transformation. Hardware Love Kitchens

BTW use right click then "rotate clockwise" to fix sideways photos before posting. It's very annoying when they are added like that. Here's a fix.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

rococogurl has a point. However, for the sake of saving prep time, how about something like this:

There are lots of pictures on kitchens in chalk paint on pinterest; however, the only one I could find with flat front cabinets was this:

More pictures and instructions at the link below at farmfreshvintagefinds.com

I personally would use a different color (French Linen, Paris Gray, Duck Egg) or make your own although I have to say that I didn't like my homemade paint as much as the original AS paint.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Someone else posted about Amy Howard "one-step" paint, which sounds like chalk paint. (Not any less expensive but different colors).

Here is a link that might be useful: AH one step paint

• NVteach
    9 years ago

"Posted by snookums2 (My Page) on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 9:09
    You registered today to plug AS paint? Sounds like sales & marketing spam to me, not credible information."

Thanks for "investigating" me. Not that it's any concern to you, but I registered because I couldn't use the search feature without registering. I am remodeling my NEW house (because - again, I rented out my old house) and the forum is a wealth of information about granite and sinks. When looking I saw the AS reference and read the thread, thus posting.

Sorry my experience didn't seem real because it was positive. You're wrong. But no hard feelings.

Again, I've only positive experience with AS paint and think that the examples and pictures that others have posted are a fantastic reference. Plus, I must was amazed about the value of the paint, after painting almost my whole kitchen with one small can.

• mrm54
    9 years ago

I have used ASCP on several pieces of old furniture and it does hold up well. It will show brush strokes, however you can sand those out and it is easy to sand, sands out to a fine dust. Either way you chose to cover the red, sanding will be involved! If you use ASCP I would not use the wax to seal it. I find it is more trouble to wax several coats and buff than to seal with poly. Plus poly is more durable especially for a kitchen.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Snookems2, that was rather harsh. Just because someone registered today doesn't mean they're wrong. And it takes something for everyone to come out of lurkdom. If anyone is plugging it, it would be me and several other members who aren't afraid to try something new. I also think it's great stuff. That said...

I would also Polyacrylic (no yellowing) because it's way more durable than wax. Truly, any other cleaner sprayed on it will remove the wax and you'd have to do that all over again. BTDT.

I also love the CeCe Caldwell paint. They're equally as durable and the colors are not so commonly sound.

No pun intended, but I think the furniture world is over-saturated with ASCP and will look back to ask, "What's with all this light blue (duck egg) or gray (French linen) or dirty white (Old White) paint on all this furniture?" I guess I'm kinda harping on this. It's just SO overdone!

I'm one who doesn't run with the norm, so I would have to choose something different, even to choosing Paint Minerals (Another durable product) to make a chalk paint out of pretty latex colors.

Whatever you do, OP, I'd love to see the end result!

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I can't imagine how anyone painted an entire kitchen with one can of ASCP. I barely got one large bookcase out of the stuff. It looks nice, no issue there, but I sure didn't get a lot of coverage out of it.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

NVT, if your post was not spam, I apologize, if you need an apology for such a thing.

Yeah, someone registering the same day as they promote a product is typical of spammers. And I've seen the chalk paint reps (and others) show up when their brand name shows activity on the forums.

I can't see how anyone could take personal offense or be hurt by someone questioning if they were spam. Forums like this are ripe ground and it is commonplace. If you're not, it could be amusing, weird, funny, a non-event, yes, but hurtful? That's kind of dramatic. The only ones I've seen get emotional over it were clearly spamming and even banned.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I have to say that I found that the paint went incredibly far. I bought the smallest can (1 pint?), painted two fairly large dressers, several coats, and it made barely a dent in the can. So, there's still lots of potential for Paris Gray in my house. In fact, I posted on CL to trade jars with other ASCP owners.

I used one of their small sample pots for a coffee table.

Has anybody tried the Howard paint yet? Of course, it's not any cheaper.

• User
    9 years ago

And when that splat of spaghetti sauce takes off the wax and stains the paint, does that give it a more authentic distssed look? How about cake batter? Kool-Aid spills? Normal life and wear and tear shouldn't damage your kitchen cabinets. Unless you never cook, chalk paint has no place in a kitchen whatsoever. Coating it with poly to give it durability is more work than just using suitable products and doing the job correctly in the first place.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Yet another excellent reason not to have children.

• User
    9 years ago

I know there aren't many people on this forum who don't want a white/granite/stainless kitchen but there are other options. Would you be able to live with it if you "decorated" in its time period?

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen twin

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

You (a) don't have children or don't cook; or (b) you put poly/lacquer over the chalk paint and wipe off whatever splatters on it.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Is that Christine McVeigh of Fleetwood Mac?

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

.......or just a fan.

• young-gardener
    9 years ago

MommyD76- I'm almost afraid to type this given some of the strong opinions here, but....I *might* have just started putting ASCP on our kitchen cabinets.

We'd planned to take them out immediately but found both mold and water intrusion in the basement on move-in day this week. That ate up our entire kitchen reno budget, and I just knew I couldn't live with the dark galley kitchen for an undetermined amount of time.

WIth a baby due in 3 weeks, I was short on time, resources, and energy. I needed a DIY solution that was safe for me to breathe and manageble with a 1 year old climbing all over my lap. Enter ASCP.

Initial plan: coat with laquer (not ASCP, but a matte finish in another brand the stockist said would be a better fit--and cheaper). Then, I noted that the container said it wasn't the best option for white paint-- and I am using AS Pure white. SO....

Now I'm looking at doing both clear wax and a tinted wax (not dark, but a DIY tint in a different tone...don't like the "dirty" look of the dark wax).

Anyway, I know there are lots of risks involved, but it met my short term needs, and I know I can sand and rewax in a big pinch.

The paint has gone on super fast, toddler and all. :)

If the boys pull down the extra cabinets for me this weekend, I'll wax and snap a couple of photos for you.

Take care!

PS-- If I didn't have to worry about fumes for the baby and my little one, BM's cabinet paint would've been a great option. :) Not that I would've enjoyed the process, but I"m sure it turns out very nice.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Any updates and/or pictures from young gardener or MommyD?

• young-gardener
    9 years ago

Hey, gang! Major delays in posting....lots of house projects...then, our sweet baby boy arrived, so I've been otherwise engaged. :) Just a quick picture or two while the boys nap. These are outdated but were the first I was able to find quickly. I'll find the updated pictures later when I have more time and will share them with you.

Quick note: The paint/wax are holding up beautifully. I'm glad, though, with little hands around, that I went with a colored wax (made my own color). It's been SO nice to not have to worry when our just-turned-two year old bang something on a cabinet or touches it with hands fresh out of the sandbox. :) And, yes, we had our first goop get on it last week: spaghetti sauce, which wiped right off without issue. I was impressed. Again, i going "new," I'd not have done distressed/chalk paint/wax, but for our current situation, this stuff is working out beautifully. HUGE sigh of relief from this time/funding strapped momma. :) As for paint, it took less than two cans. Wax took almost two. I *think*...it's been a while and I've had a few other things on my mind lately. LOL!

Yes, I painted the hardware. Someone previously put shellac over it, and I couldn't get it off. The paint is working out well there, too. What a great surprise!!

In the wide view, you can see it was taken midway through the waxing. Look at the top cabinets, and you'll be able to tell the one on the left does not yet have the colored wax applied. It just has a first coat of the clear wax.

And, for the record, my then pregnant self never climbed up and put the last coat (colored wax) on the cabinet above the fridge. One of these days.... :) There's just so much to do around here! Slow and steady (or not).

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wow! I'm impressed, not only by the kitchen but that you could do this while pregnant with a 2-year old underfoot.

If you get a chance to elaborate, how did you make the tinted wax?

• young-gardener
    9 years ago

nosoccermom- Sorry for the delay! It's been a stream of visitors and road trips here, so my work is at a halt. I mixed two colors of ASCP to come up with a color I liked, then mixed it into the clear wax. It worked great! I wanted a grey wax instead of the dark brown. It echoes the paint in the breakfast room.

So far, so good! My sister is about to do her kitchen, and when she does, I'll post pics. :) She's doing a mixed color (4:1 olde white: french linen) of ASCP on the perimeter and a regular latex on her island. I'm so curious to see how the two will stack up next to each other in the same kitchen. What a great testing ground for wear and tear! She has four young children.

Also, I found a blog post comparing CP to BM Advance and am posting it below. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: paint comparison