Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gailrolfe

Those little dishtowel racks?

gailrolfe
14 years ago

I have been looking for those little and I presume inexpensive towel racks that I've so often seen on the inside of doors under the sink where one can hang one's dish towels....I've been to Home Depot, OSH and Bed, Bath & Beyond and looked on the internet and I cannot find them. These are the type that are screwed into the door,not hung over the top. Has anyone seen these or know where I might find them? I thought they were sort of ubiquitous but not I'm beginning to think I'm either really showing my age or I'm imagining them....help?

Comments (11)

• faleash
    14 years ago

They have them at the Container Store.

• katienic
    14 years ago

I'm not sure of the type you are looking for but I did buy one this week that is the pull-out rack that screws in to the inside of the cabinet and then slides out. There is room for 3 or maybe it's four towels. Picked it up at Home Depot. I like it except for such a very,very long time my towels have been anywhere but in a consistent spot that I'm always forgetting they have a home now.

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

faleash, I checked on The Container Store website and all they show there are over the door racks or hooks. I'm thinking of a simple bar rack, sort of shaped like a flat-bottomed U....funny how much for granted I've taken those over the years and now can't find them anywhere!

Katienic, I don't understand what you mean by "pull-out" rack. My cab doors are only about 14-15 inches wide and the racks I am thinking of are just very simple, lightweight cheapies and would only hold 1, maybe 2, towels. How does your's slide out? Do you have a pic? It would be intriguing to have it hold 3 or 4...but then doesn't the rack have to be closed down again when you close the door? Obviously, I'm not getting the picture...

• bluekitobsessed
    14 years ago

Here's a pic of Katienic's style towel rack in my kitchen (look at the right hand side):

Now for the negatives:
    1. I paid my KD $80 only to find that it's a Rev a Shelf part that can be ordered at HD online for $13.99.
    2. Having dishtowels stored away is great for all the times I remember to grab them before getting my hands wet and soapy...yeah, right. I've reverted back to keeping a dishtowel hanging on the DW handle for use in hand drying.

Blue

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Blue, the picture helps. Actually that just might work. And I'm glad to know I can get it at HD online so inexpensively...I went in to their store here and they had nothing similar. I know what you mean about keeping a towel handy for hands...I only keep the dish-drying towel under the sink so that it doesn't get used for hands and stays a bit cleaner for the random hand-washed dish, knife or utensil.

I'm still really curious about the old (I am coming to assume) style that I was looking for--wonder why they've gone the way of the dinosaur?

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

I had a Closetmaid rack in my old kitchen that held 3 towels. Since I thought I'd be able to easily find the same thing again, it went to the recycling center with the sink cabinet. Guess things change in 15 years...I'm have the same dilema as gail. You wouldn't think this would be that difficult. Last weekend we went to a Container Store to specifically look for something similar. Didn't see anything on the floor. I'll have to also check out the Rev a Shelf one online. In the meantime, I've been using the DW handle too.

• gardenburgher
    14 years ago

Hi Gailrolfe. Try looking in the bathroom department. I just checked online at Bed Bath & Beyond and Home Depot, and both showed some "towel bars" if you look under bathroom instead of kitchen.

HTH!

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

This?

Here is a link that might be useful: Towel Bar

• diane4570
    14 years ago

I know exactly what you mean. Try a local hardware store like Tru Value, coast to coast, Sears Hardware, etc.

• countrycottageklutz (Zone 5 ON)
    14 years ago

Our local Home Hardware here in Canada has many different lengths of exactly what you are looking for. Like diane4570 said, Tru Value (or even the evil Walmart might have them).

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, all! I actually found them on Amazon. Just in case this is the same thing you are looking for, nhbaskets, I've included the link. I realized that my problem was searching for a towel "rack" instead of a towel "bar". :-)

It is truly a cheapie little bar; sells for $2.54 but keeps the dish towel out of the way. I found it, ci lantro, in looking at the one you suggested which I may actually get since it looks very similar and may be a bit sturdier.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and help...AGAIN!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap Towel Bar

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022