Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How are runnels made?

Posted by killinsnakes (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 18:02

How are the runnels made in countertops? Are they rounded or squared and what is used to make them? I am getting new Corian countertops and thought I understood them to say the edges will be squared. Wanted to check with the GW experts since you guys have certainly influenced my choice after years of reading and studying this forum!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How are runnels made?

Mine are round but it's not corian

o

I made a tapered jig to rout them into Corian when I was a fabricator years ago. Have your fabricator reinforce below them by adhering a 1/2" full size piece. Rounded would be easiest to clean.

o

I was thinking rounded would be easier to clean. My brother, a perfectionist home builder is coming back to check something, for about the 6th time, so I will mention this to him . I know he is questioning this also. He trusts and likes the fabricators work, but he has never done runnels in all of his house buildings. Thanks.

o

Just find a picture of the kind you like online and show it to the fabricator and specify that's what you want. I find that's the easiest way to communicate with these types of people during our reno.

o

Also, I've wondered about these. We ultimately decided to pass on them although they are cool.

If you are always supposed to wipe off your Corian to prevent hard water/limescale buildup then does it make sense to have an area that is wet by design?

o

I was thinking rounded would be easier to clean. My brother, a perfectionist home builder is coming back to check something, for about the 6th time, so I will mention this to him . I know he is questioning this also. He trusts and likes the fabricators work, but he has never done runnels in all of his house buildings. Thanks.

o

"If you are always supposed to wipe off your Corian to prevent hard water/limescale buildup then does it make sense to have an area that is wet by design?"

ChrisinSD:

Solid surface is inert and unaffected permanently by hard water/limescale. You could wipe up several month's worth with a ScotchBrite pad in seconds.

o

Hard water has a lot of other issues besides build up on your counters. Think about what it's doing to the insides of your pipes and fixtures! Talk with a water treatment professional if you have that issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here