Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie1956_gw

Lowes Shenandoah vs Home Depot American Woodmark

annie1956
13 years ago

Well, we started with Lowes Schuler cabinets and got a design and estimate of $14,000. After milling it over DH and I decided we really didn't want to spend that much on our small kitchen. Have read good things about the to other lines so we decided to take the same design see what we get. Went to HD and had to tweak it a bit (39" wall cabinets to 36" were about the only thing) but ended up with a $7,000 estimate. I still want DH to go back to Lowes and price out the Shenandhoah just to see if they can beat the HD price since it the same cabinets. He has an appt tomorrow morning (I have to work). He really doesn't want to go but I feel like we owe them a shot. (And I actually like the color there better).

Has anyone ever done that? What were your results?

Thanks

A
-I also noticed doing the HD quote on their computer the prices were astronimically high [like $17,000] until it did the actual quote so I wonder if it quotes based on the scale of what you buy at HD (we buy ALOT).

Comments (8)

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

We priced cabinets with Lowes, but didn't price between stores only between lines. We found that the Kraftmaid was cheaper over the less expensive line because the door and color we liked were standard instead of premium. Premium finish added 20% to the order. We did our kitchen with Kraftmaid but our laundry room with the Maple Glaze Shenandoah. I have to say that the Shenandoah looks great so far still have some to unbox. The furniture end was flush and very nice. They package really well so less damage. Our kraftmaid although beautiful cabinets there were many nicks and dings because of the way they boxed them up.

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

They are the same exact cabinets with different names only. Any perception of "difference" is exactly that: a perception only, based on different lighting and the individual differences possible in wood cabinet doors. They also charge upgrades for many Kraftmaid standards such as full extension soft close drawers. You really should give a cabinet showroom a shot if you want to be pleasantly surprised.

• cbug
    13 years ago

I was told by the Lowes Rep that the Shenandoah brand (which is what I thought I wanted) was so so quality on slides/glides. I needed glides rated for 100lbs. Shanendoah only came with 50 lb. No option to upgrade. Not going with them now.

• User
    13 years ago

They are the same exact cabinets with different names only.

They are made by the same corporate parent, but they are not _exactly_ the same. For example, I am looking at a shaker door style. The Shenandoah option is a veneer center panel and a slab drawer. The Woodmark at HD option is a solid center panel and a 5 piece drawer front. They both come in exactly the same colors, though, and the collection of cabinet box sizes available is the same. You could build very similar kitchens with either line, but some construction details are different if you read the spec sheets.

• annie1956
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks a bunch - I'll have to check out the "details". Right now Shenandoah is offering free glaze upgrade until the 20th (but it's not on the Lowes website) + the dollar discount depending on how much you spend. HD is offering the dollar discount on how much you spend then after the 24th a free sink base. So it will REALLY be down to the details (which DH hates - he would rather just go and buy and not "shop"). The HD cabinets were the Savannah Maple Auburn Glaze & I think the Shenandoah were the McKinley Maple Auburn Glaze but I might go with Portage instead.
    I've already found all of the appliances online (not ordered yet but on my spreadsheet) with major discounts compared to any stores.
    A

• User
    4 years ago

They’re still the same builder quality ugh that they were 10 years ago. With the same issues that they still haven’t been addressed. And only a few specs that have changed over time.

• Dave Pollock
    3 years ago

Why