Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ks_chicago

Slight crack in the granite

KS_Chicago
9 years ago

Hello. I have Antique Brown granite countertop and right next to the sink (between the wall and the sink cutout), there is a 5-7 inch long crack that is very thin, but it is definitely there. I know that antique brown has its own lines, and I have some of those as well, but this is not just one those lines. This one is a definite crack. It doesn't bother me much visually, but I wanted to know if I can somehow seal it (not sure if seal is a right word). I just don't want it to get any worse. Any ideas?

Thank you so much!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

KS_Chicago:

I'd have to see a picture to verify, but I'm afraid I may have some very bad news. It sounds like you have a rodding failure. Every single one I've ever encountered involved a crack running parallel with the sink rails.

What's happened is that the reinforcing rods your fabricator installed are starting to oxidize (rust) and when they do they blow up the stone. There is no stone on earth strong enough to stop the expansive power of rust.

The only permanent solution is to remove the rod and perform a repair. The crack can be repaired without removing the rod but will only last weeks, if that. Expect to pay between $900.00 - $1,500.00 for a proper repair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rod repair

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 19:26

• schicksal
    9 years ago

What should they use instead of steel reinforcing rods to get it right the first time? Stainless or something else?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"What should they use instead of steel reinforcing rods to get it right the first time? Stainless or something else?"

Rodding is old school and has been made obsolete with modern stone transportation and installation methods. The stone weakened by a cut-out only needs to make it from the shop to the kitchen without damage and there is vacuum equipment to do that job. Once it's on the cabinets, the cabinets provide the stone strength in tension.

Stainless or fiberglas rods embedded in epoxy aren't subject to water degradation and subsequent oxidation, unlike cold steel embedded in polyester.

• peony4
    9 years ago

I didn't know rust was so powerful!

What if OP does nothing? Does the crack elongate?

This post was edited by peony4 on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 22:49

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Ohhh... I thought rodding was somehow done to install a sink since it seems to mostly be a problem around that area. I'm talking to people about quartz this week and will be sure to make that one of the questions I ask. Price is meaningless if there will be problems down the road.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"What if OP does nothing? Does the crack elongate?"

peoney4:

The crack expands exponentially. The bigger it gets, the more water gets in, the more water gets in, the bigger it gets.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

schicksal:

I'm unaware of any quartz manufacturer that recommends rodding. Because the modulus of elasticity of quartz is so much higher than that of stone, it is unnecessary.

Place a 3cm x 4" x 10' strip of engineered stone and granite next to each other on the floor and try to pick up each in the middle. The granite will crack before the estone, if the estone cracks at all.