Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dizadncr_gw

silgranit sink style

dizadncr
9 years ago

Hi - I'm doing a small remodel on my kitchen and need to make a decision on my new sink. I'm getting the Blanco anthracite sink, but I can't decide on which design. I'm torn between the Diamond 1-3/4 bowl style or the Diamond 1-1/2 bowl. Would love to hear from anyone out there who has these styles and what you think...

Comments (7)

• calumin
    9 years ago

We have the 1-3/4 bowl. The main reason we bought it was for the low divide. I also like having the faucet centered in the sink.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Have you considered the Cascade version. It is like a low divide but one section is slightly elevated.
    Only one drain but learned to manage with only one.
    Good luck - ours looks brand new after 2 years.

• dizadncr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The place I'm buying my granite through also sells the sink and I don't think they carry Cascade a2gemini but I'll look at them online - One of my friends has a 1-1/2 Blanco and she loves it - it has the low divide.

• andreak100
    9 years ago

We got the 1 3/4 and are very happy with it. Ours was purchased just prior to them coming out with the low divide and reverse bowl...something I'm still sad about.

When we looked at the various models, originally, I thought that the 1/2 bowl just seemed a bit too small to be as functional for what I wanted (it has the GD in it, so scraps, etc. are going there and I wanted it to be easy to get those in the correct side of the sink. Also, I tend to use the small bowl for draining a dish or two that I might handwash. I took my largest used pan in to the store and checked - the pan would fit sideways flat in the 1 3/4 bowl sink, so, for me, the 1 3/4 made a more sense.

Cookie sheets won't lay in flat (they wouldn't in either sink), but that hasn't been a big issue for me because I usually put the sheets in the DW anyway.

• dizadncr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Andreak100 - I think I'm pretty set on getting the 1-3/4 design. The low divide is really what I'm trying to decide about now. What are the pros and cons? What are the reasons people like the low divide? I'm ordering the sink tomorrow so I'm still looking for ideas from people who have both options.

• andreak100
    9 years ago

In regard to the low divide, my opinions on pro/con:

Pro: if you happen to have a pan that won't fit in sideways (my 12" All-Clad fry pan fits, but just barely) sitting flat, with a low divide, you can have the handle extend across the divide. At least in theory, it shouldn't tip the base of the pan up very high, so it still allows it to soak, if necessary.

Con: If you tend to fill up one side of your sink and keep it filled, but want the other one clear of water, you can't fill the one side as high as you would with a higher divide. The only place that I could think of where this could be a possible issue for me would be if I'm trying to do a quick defrost of a large piece of meat where I fill the sink with cold water and let the meat defrost a bit in there.

Do you have access to the various versions of the sink? If you do, I suggest taking in some of your pots and pans to see how they will fit in for you to see what is likely to work best for your needs.

Also, since the 1 3/4 shows as available with the 3/4 sink on either the left or the right, give thought as to how you will use your sink and countertop. My cooktop is to the left of my sink, so I wipe from the cooktop, over the counter, and to the sink. I would have much preferred to have the smaller part (the one I keep mostly clear) closer to the side where the cooktop is.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i have the 1 1/2 in anthracite. i use the very small side for silverware so i can always find what i need with digging under pans (we have a sink full of dishes 98 percent of the time!) i also wanted a main bowl larger enough to lay 9x12 pyrex dishes or cookie sheets in and it fits both of those. i love it!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH