Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

Granite was sealed and is now hazy - how do I clean it?

joann23456
14 years ago

The title says it all. The stone fabricator sealed my Ubatuba, and now it's hazy. How do I clean off the haze?

Comments (13)

• joann23456
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bumping to see if anyone will answer. I was sure I'd seen the answer to this on this forum awhile ago, before I had hazy granite in *my* kitchen ...

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

Your UT should NOT have been sealed :( It's too dense. Sealer can't penetrate the surface. I can't remember the exact details and products needed but acetone and steel wool comes to mind. I'd put out a APB for Bill Vincent and/or go to the John Bridge tile forum and ask them how to remove the sealer from your granite. Sorry :(
    Monica

Here is a link that might be useful: JB Advice Forum

• nancylouise5me
    14 years ago

That is correct. Uba Tuba does not need sealing and should not have been. Any chance getting the fabricator back and removing the sealer at his own expense? He's the one that messed it up. NancyLouise

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Oh I am so sorry you are going through this.
    I was told by our installer to not overseal with home
    seal kits. Hazy appearance is oversealing the granite.
    To avoid this problem we needed to wash the granite and
    let it dry for 6 to 10 hours before sealing it.
    Otherwise a hazy cloudy appearance will show up.
    I am not a granite guru just a granite owner.

Here is a link that might explain what is going.
    I have no idea how to fix it.
    ~boxerpups

the link
    http://www.cabinetsandcountertops.com/countertop.html

Q. Why do my Granite countertops look hazy?
    A. This is usually caused by cleaning the surfaces of your Granite countertops but not completely drying it. It may also be caused by using too much soap when cleaning your Granite countertops. We recommend using a damp towel followed by a dry towel to remove the haze. Sealing with a water-based sealer can also leave Granite countertops looking cloudy.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Sometimes the haze could be excess sealer (any that wasn't absorbed if it's a penetrating sealer) that dried on the surface. If that's the case, you could try buff it off w/ a piece of 0000 or 000 steel wool. I have used 00 on ours without scratching, but don't know your granite well enough to tell you to use that (you could try it in an inconspicuous spot if the 000 and 0000 are too "fine" to do anything).

As per our stoneyard's instructions, we'd applied our sealer (KR-33; definitely not water-based), and then left it on to "cure" overnight--buffing off any haze 24 hrs later (just dried residue, non-sticky BTW) with the steel wool. Some spots took a little light elbow grease, but it all came off.

HTH

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Try emailing one of the following GWers about this. They're both "in the industry" and should be able to help:

* StoneGirl (see her email on her page: https://auth.gardenweb.com/members/stonegirl)

and/or

* Kevin (info@azschoolofrock.com) (mention that you're from GW)

For either/both, include the link to this thread in your email:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg061752031423.html

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

CLean it with acetone and allow to dry.

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

Just FYI - we tried the use sealer to remove sealer trick and it didn't work. Acetone did the job, though (and is much cheaper). You can get it at HD in the paint section.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

I've never heard of anyone recommending to seal Uba Tuba.

• Donna Buntaine Brewer
    5 years ago

Goddard Granite and Marble Polish. Just put it on. So easy. I remembered that at one time I had purchased a product that worked really well, but could not recall the brand. So, I purchased five different products until I found the right one. This is it! It brings out the color and gets rid of the haze. Seriously. Forget all of the sealing, etc. This is a cream you apply generously, wipe it, and the shine, minus the haze, comes through. I bought mine at a hardware store. My counters are almost twenty years old and look brand new!

• friedajune
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Donna Buntaine Brewer - it looks like you did not notice that this thread is 9 years old.

Plus I don't agree with your advice. UT should not be sealed, and the solution to removing the haze from the sealer is to remove the sealer with acetone.

• nancylouise5me
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes, looks like walterstone gave the wrong information also. Uba Tuba is just one of many granites that DO NOT need sealing. Because it is non porous stone, the sealant will just sit on top of the stone surface. That is what is causing the haze. You need to remove the sealant. If a fabricator says All stones need sealing walk away, They don't know what they are talking about.