Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weimom

Mocket pictures?

weimom
11 years ago

I remember seeing a post from someone who has a mocket in their kitchen. Could you post pictures and also let me know how you like it? I am thinking about installing one in my island. Any thoughts? I need to decide very quickly as they are about to cut my quartz. Thanks!

Comments (22)

• Buehl
    11 years ago

I have two Mocketts, but they are not in an island or peninsula - they're in my bay window well. Because of their location, we don't use them that often...
    They're used at Christmas for Christmas decorations
    They're used when I need an extra outlet anywhere along the sink counter run.

I like the fact that they recess into my counter when not in use and if I only need one outlet, I only raise it high enough to access the top outlet. We bought ours in 2008. They have several other options today than they did back in 2008.

I know someone else has one that is in her/his island, but I can't remember who right now, sorry! (Fori? Florantha?)

My pictures were taken while my kitchen was in-progress:

Closeup:

Mocketts up:

Mocketts down:

Here is a link that might be useful: Doug Mockett & Company - Power & Communication Systems

• weimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Buehl! I am having trouble with the placement of outlets on my island so I thought this might be a good solution. My sink and dishwasher are on one end of the island and there is seating on the other end. I would like for it to be as in-obvious as possible and I see that they are about 4" in diameter. I thought I would place it just behind the sink so as not to affect the rest of the island. I just hope that would look ok in the island which is 8.5 feet by 50 inches. It seems like someone posted a picture of their's not so long ago.

• springroz
    11 years ago

NewSouthernBell's new kitchen.

• weimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks springroz. Now, can you tell me how to find her new kitchen? I still don't know my way around this forum and need to know how/where I can access the kitchen photos. Many thanks!

• library_girl
    11 years ago

Try this link

Here is a link that might be useful: NewSouthernBelle's Lovely Kitchen

• NewSouthernBelle
    11 years ago

So far we have only used it a few times but we have also only been back in our kitchen truly for about 2 months. I anticipate using it more for the crock pot in the winter time. I wish there was more of a white option b/c I don't like how much it stands out against my light granite but I knew I wanted some electrical outlets toward the middle of my mammoth island and this seemed like the best/only option. It takes up quite a bit of space underneath though, which in our case was fine b/c it was in "dead" space behind dummy cabinet doors but just be aware of that when you are planning. Also, make sure your counter top installer has a large enough bit. Our's didn't and he used the biggest one he had and then used a crank to sand around and make it bigger. As such, the edges are not as smooth as I would have liked. HTH.

Down

Up

• weimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh thank you NewSouthernbelle! I have to make a final decision by tomorrow as they are installing on Thursday. I think this is a good option for me. I was just worried about how it would look when not in use. I have Cambria Canterbury so it shouldn't stand out too much due to the dark colors. We have always had 2 outlets on our island but when they redesigned it a little there was going to be limited options for placement. I remembered seeing your mockett and suggested it to the electrician. We also have a dead space in the center of our island so therefore it should work well. I am trying to decide between the one you have or with the one that is a little smaller and square. It only has 2 plugs though. Do you have any thoughts about that?

• NewSouthernBelle
    11 years ago

The most we have ever used is two plugs. We went a little crazy with outlets everywhere else so I just can't imagine ever needing more than two in the island. Like, we have a mudroom locker of sorts for each family member and there are two plugs in EACH persons locker. As such, I just don't see us charger ipods, cameras, computers on the island. We will do that else where. So... I think two is plenty but you know how you will use it and what for and if there are other places for you to charge various items.

• weimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again newsouthernbelle. Now to decide....I am also a little crazy about having enough outlets!

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I have a mockett on my island. I have used all 3 outlets on occasion, although usually two suffice. Personally, I would go with the three-outlet one. On my figured granite it is not at all intrusive.

None of the pics is particularly good, but you'll get a general idea. I had it installed at the back of the island garbage pullout, since it protrudes down far enough to interfere with drawers.

I would DEFINITELY recommend one.

Sandra

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

RE: the number of outlets.
    Will you use your island for prep?
    I have had the sous vide hooked up, then plugged in the small immersion blender and the mixer for other recipes.

If you don't prep on the island, two may be enough.

RE: placement.
    I like the esthetics of putting it behind the sink, but I promise you that won't pass code anywhere. Too close to water.

Sandra

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

RE: the number of outlets.
    Will you use your island for prep?
    I have had the sous vide hooked up, then plugged in the small immersion blender and the mixer for other recipes.

If you don't prep on the island, two may be enough.

RE: placement.
    I like the esthetics of putting it behind the sink, but I promise you that won't pass code anywhere. Too close to water.

Sandra

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'd not seen these before and I showed them to DH, and his first question is, how do you keep them from getting wet?

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Here is ours. It is a virtual forest of holes in the sink area countertop so it really doesn't show.

• Jamie
    11 years ago

Oh, Sandra Bellsmom, please tell me about the gurgling fish collection.

I have only one, and I came by it unexpectedly, and I'd love to hear your fish tale.

• weimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!!! Great pictures and input. I am now thinking that 3 plugs will be better. I do prep on the island. Claybabe your photos were very helpful as I will have the exact forest of holes and very similar quartz and faucet finish. Is your mockett the black or clear ring?

• claybabe
    11 years ago

clear ring :)

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Jamie
    So as not to hijack this thread, I emailed you my ''fish story.'' Nice to hear from another glug jug fan.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

So cute - wish I had seen these before starting our remodel. I went with a combination of plug mold and standard outlets.
    Fish story please!

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

Hoping to resurrect this thread -

For those with Mocketts near the sink - how did you get those to pass code? I really love the idea and the fact that having Mockets would prevent cutting into my beauteous back splash, but everything I've read indicates electrical sockets cannot be that close to the water source (wet area).

• duvetcover
    11 years ago

Looks like you need to talk to an electrician re code issues, but I note on the Mockett site they mention they can customize colors- that has nothing to to do with code issues, of course, but just an added bit of info.

http://www.mockett.com/furniture-hardware/pcs39-de.html

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.mockett.com/furniture-hardware/pcs39-de.html

• Buehl
    11 years ago

They have to be installed a minimum of 18" (I think) from the faucet/water source.

Our Mocketts also have a slightly raised ring that would prevent water from getting into them.

So far, in 4 years we've never had a problem with water getting into the Mocketts.

I don't know how Claybabe's passed inspection...maybe the Codes are less stringent where Claybabe lives?

Claybabe?