Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

Sterling silver tarnishing in dishwasher...didn't before??!!

ilovemyroses
10 years ago

I have always run my everyday sterling silver through the dishwasher. For years!! And have used liquid Cascade.

Recently I switched to the little gel pack pods of Cascade, and all my silver has violently (!) tarnished??!!

It never had before, and I am just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing??

Yes, I know hand washing is preferred, but this is just ordinary patterned hand-me -down stuff that I do prefer, as opposed to the stainless steel, and I know that if I couldn't dishwasher it, I wouldn't use it.

HELP!! thanks!

Comments (48)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Not with silver (haven't used it lately), but yes, I have noticed this with the cascade complete powder and stainless steel. All my stainless is coming out very slightly tarnished and it never did before. Our water here hasn't changed, so I'm guessing something in Cascade did.

• weissman
    10 years ago

All detergents changed when the government required them to remove the phosphates. You might try a different detergent - many of us prefer Finish Quantum.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

But weissman, that was years ago. I'm talking about a change between the previous box and the current one.

Finish is not available where I live, but thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT And I should mention that for me, my stainless flatware is fine. It's kitchen utensils that are discoloring now.

This post was edited by writersblock on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 22:45

• Delilah66
    10 years ago

Do the pods have lemon or citrus added? I know that's bad for stainless; don't know about sterling since I never use a "flavored" DW detergent.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I've noticed the same thing with my grandmother's old silver plate, which I use for everyday and never thought of as sterling. I just got a new Bosch DW and have used Finish Quantum a couple of times (came free with the DW), but since I have a large supply of Cascade Complete from Costco (and which the DW installer said is fine to use) I've mostly been using that.

So, same water, same detergent, yet a definite darkening of the silverware. Is the Bosch punishing me for pre-rinsing and not putting truly filthy dishes into its torture chamber? Back in the day, I had to abandon using something like 7th Generation because it turned all the silverware black.

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dang it! I just bought another box of this stuff. I will see if Finish Quantum is available in dallas. Such a pain. No lemon, btw. Thx all

• sumac
    10 years ago

Don't know if this will help, but I read somewhere ? not to place silver and stainless next to each other in the dishwasher. I am assuming that meant not in the same basket. Give that a try and see if it makes a difference.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Just unloading silver, china and crystal from a luncheon yeasterday. Half of a Method grapefruit-rose Smarty tab. Sparkling clean and great fragrance -- no chemical smell. For heavy soil loads with pots and pans I use 1 Finish Quantum.

Walmart has the Quantum and Target has the Method. Amazon has Method. Dump the Cascade. Life's too short.

• rockpine
    10 years ago

I love the Method grapefruit tabs also. But how the heck do you break them in half?

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"But weissman, that was years ago."

Not everywhere.

There is no way to tell what changes the manufacturer might have made.

Some formulations of the 'no phosphate' detergents have been pretty bad.

I would bet money the manufacturers are trying to make them perform like they used to.

New things create new problems.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Any input on Seventh Generation? It's one of the few available easily to me that gets a good rating from EWG.

EDIT I don't care for their sink dishwashing soap, no matter how good it's supposed to be for the environment, which is why I ask.

This post was edited by writersblock on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 17:29

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Rococo, how is your silverware faring? I wonder if it's darkened, as some of ours has, that you have to manually polish it and then go from there. Is there actually a DW detergent that will undo the darkening?

Writer, years ago I used Seventh Generation liquid because it made me feel good about the environment. However my silver went to hell so I stopped. That was a good 7-8 years ago.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Darn. Thanks, linelle.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Linelle, I've always kept mine in the silver-cloth rolls in came in. I don't do much polishing -- they seem to be pretty good.

Silver can tarnish/corrode in contact with table salt, of course. While there are string of sodium-this and sodium thats in the Method tabs ingredient list, it all came out sparkling. I do use china/crystal cycle so nothing is being washed for a very long time or in water above lukewarm. May make a difference.

When in doubt (like with my gold-rim dishes) I do a load without adding detergent. I was surprised that things got just as clean LOL.

No idea about the others. I'm not a fan of powders.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 18:25

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Rococo, do you use the china/crystal cycle for everything? I don't have that option on my DW, but since I'm regressing back to being a pre-rinser, I probably don't need a lot of detergent, a very high temperature or long cycle, for that matter.

Hello, I'm Linelle, and I'm a Pre-Rinser. Sue me.

• burntfingers
    10 years ago

Ooh, interesting thought.....Do you have hard water? Do you use a water softener? I believe that some of them, and some dishwashers made for hard water areas, use salt as a softener. . . Maybe that's having an effect?

• Nina Altschiller
    5 years ago

I just switched from Cascade to Finish (not Quantum) and I just started having tarnish. I've always put my silver in the dishwasher, and I've never had a problem. It's true about silver next to stainless. I even put my sterling knives that have stainless blades in a separate section. I worked for Waterford Wedgwood for years. We always told people to halve their quantities of detergent, since basically you're sandblasting your good tableware. It's impossible for me to cut the tabs, even with garden shears (damn my thumbs). I'm going back to Quantum. I'll also try the Method. More later. And thanks for weighing in, everyone. Very helpful.

• kath245
    5 years ago

I have been having my silver tarnish badly ever since I tried a box of targets generic. Never had a problem with cascade or finish. I have used the trick of poloshing by putting them in hot water and a little baking soda on top of aluminum foil and that works wonderfully but I am going back to finish.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    5 years ago

I know this is a very old thread, but given some of the comments wanted to share that for many years I used Cascade powder. Having read great reviews of Finish (and recalling my mother always used Electrasol in the 70's), I tried it for a couple of loads. All of the glassware ended up permanently cloudy after just one run through the dishwasher. I've gone back to Cascade powder, but the damage was done to those glasses.

• kath245
    4 years ago

I was having tarnish when I switched from finish to Cascade. I wrote hem and they confirmed that it might cause tarnish so I switched back to the finish tabs. Now I am getting tarnish with those. I wonder if dishwasher detergents have all changed something in the formula that causes this.

• Frances Buckley
    4 years ago

I use the inherented silverware for everyday because there is no one to leave it to so why not. I always used Casade and never had a problem. About 2 years ago I switched to Finish because it h a better rating. Loved it. My husband went to store with list and got Cascade because it was on sale. I don’t know what changed in the 2 years but the interior of the dishwasher has brown/grey staining, the silverware is tarnished , the cups are stained brown, and the surface of the dishes are grey/brown. Arthritis or not I’ll be hobbling to the market for Finish.

• HU-484381873
    3 years ago

Yes; my sterling -- washing in the dishwasher for 25+ years -- is now awfully tarnished. Using Cascade pods; can't wait to switch.

• Nina Altschiller
    3 years ago

I switched to Finish and for a while it was fine. Then it started turning the silver yellow. I'm back to handwashing the flatware. I use my sterling and silverplate every day (why else have it?) and I keep it in a tarnish protector case in my kitchen cutlery drawer. Now that I've been washing it by hand, I haven't had to polish. Got rid of the flatware shelf in the DW and have more room for wine glasses (a BIG necessity, especially now). Frankly, I think 1/2 a tab, or even no detergent, and the china crystal setting makes sense except when there are lots of dirty casseroles, etc.

• Julie Shulick
    3 years ago

We’ve used Cascade Complete pods for years because at some point years ago they stated they were okay for sterling. In the last several months the sterling quickly became VERY tarnished. And my cheap white dishes have lots of gray on them which makes them look dirty. Obviously a formula change. I will switch to Finish or Method but would love some anecdotal evidence of success among people here. Which style of Finish or Method works for you?

• HU-134399810
    3 years ago

Finish Quantum is great for dishes but it is ruining my sterling silver flatware.

• adanacstreethouse
    3 years ago

We were using Cascade liquid with no problem until last month, and then they stopped making it. (A scalper was selling a bottle for about US $60 on Ebay). Switched to pods and the silverware went black, plus whatever chemical reaction was taking place also left residue on the dishes and turned the inside white of my dishwasher a disgusting brown colour. I've been washing the silverware by hand, but it's a huge needless chore. I've read to use something that is phosphate- and citrus-free, but haven't come across anything that is both. The big brands evidently don't think this is a big enough of a market to address, but I'm going to look on Etsy and do some research on niche soap producers to see what I can find. I'll provide an update if I discover anything good.

• adanacstreethouse
    3 years ago

So no luck on Etsy, as most have citric acid in them or are really expensive for what you get, plus you have to pay postage. But I did come across this little gem: a recipe to make your own dishwasher detergent. Not sure when I'll get out to buy the ingredients, but I will try it and let everyone know how it goes:

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Homemade-Dishwasher-Detergent-91963
    2 cups (change servings and units)
    Ingredients:
    * 1 cup washing soda (crystals)
    * 1 cup borax
    * 2-3 drops perfumed oil (optional)

Directions
    1. Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.
    2. Process until washing soda crystals are reduced to powder.
    3. Store in airtight container.
    4.Use 1- 2 tablespoons per load in your dishwasher.
    5.(To save even more money, substitute Rinse Aid with white vinegar.).

• kjtown
    3 years ago

We used to use Finish Powerball then switched to Cascade Complete and since switching, we noticed that our stainless flatware (not silver) has started turning dark, looking tarnished. Going back to Finish.

• adanacstreethouse
    3 years ago

For the last month, I’ve been using washing soda. It’s great for the silverware but not so great for glassware

• Jock Bovington
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Cascade platinum (CP) used to have on the box that you could use it with silver... Now it does not. I just bought the same box of tabs I always have, now these new CP tabs tarnish my silverware! This sucks... The comments from many years ago point at phosphates... My last box was purchased about one year ago. Don't have the old box to check, but found a CP website which tells me not to put silver in the dishwasher. Guess we live in a new world, and I have to use all the time covid19 "gave" is to spit shine or silverware. Here's a link on why we have this new job: http://192.185.48.58/do-you-know-everything-you-should-about-phosphates/

• HU-699981333
    3 years ago

For decades we used Cascade ORIGINAL for our silver plated flatware in the dishwasher with no problems. Recently switched to Cascade Platinum pods and Cascade Complete pods, and both quickly tarnished my silverware dark gray.

Switched back to Cascade ORIGINAL pods, and voila, the problem has not repeated! Hope this is helpful to someone!

• Catherine Talamini
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your reports. I too have just exhausted my old tried and true Cascade, and the new suddenly turns everything silver to bronze, and I suspect the stainless steel may be turning too. I will look on line for Original Cascade. Or maybe even make my own detergent. I use my flatware daily. I am disappointed in P&G, I hope they are reading this. Kate

• Kathy Viterise
    3 years ago

Now that I know it can be the Cascade pods that have tarnished my silver, I am stumped on how to get the tarnish on the inside of the dishwasher itself clean! Ive tried baking soda and vinegar several times, Cascade dishwasher cleaner (oops, that doesnt help) and considered scrubbing with comet or actual silver polish! The entire insides of the dishwasher is grey, and that happened in about 4 uses of Cascade pods! I never had to worry about my silverwear before, but they are in horrible shape. The dishwasher looks so dirty I could scream. Any ideas?

• HU-535278658
    3 years ago

Same boat as many of you... Have always used Cascade (original liquid) and silver came out beautifully shiny in DW. Switched to Cascade pods a few months ago and noticed they were tarnished...same as our white ‘pottery’ mugs/plates and the inside of our DW. They have a gray finish to them now! Very disappointed and will try switching back to original liquid or Method!

• kath245
    3 years ago

I have tried several including cascade powder and finish. All seem to have more or less the same result. I think it must be some new additive they put in all their formulas. I have gone back to hand washing with ivory liquid or some other dishwashing soap.

• Carol Scheel
    3 years ago

How much vinegar per load for the dishwasher. Vinegar is pretty strong stuff.

Also, never heard of soda crystals. What brand do you use.

• adanacstreethouse
    3 years ago

I use Arm & Hammer

• Catherine Talamini
    3 years ago

I have been so disappointed with the change in Cascade.

I am finding much better results, ie, no tarnish of silver with Method pods.

good luck.

• HU-671345410
    3 years ago

I have seen a grey residual on my pewter (Armate). I’ve put in dishwasher for decades without a problem. Now there is a grey residual I can wipe ifc with paper towel. . Using cascade pods from Costco - which I have been using before this problem. Any suggestion?

• adanacstreethouse
    3 years ago

They have changed their formula to remove phosphates. Good for the environment, but bad for your silverware. Suggest you switch brands. There are still some brands e.g. Sunlight Advanced that say they work with silverware. I have also heard on this string that Method Pods work without tarnishing it. A homemade version of Washing Soda and Borax also work for silverware, but it's getting hard to find Borax anywhere also. Apparently it's not so good for people/planet either. I think with the Pewter it's going to be trial and error as well. If you find something that works, let us know.

• Catherine Talamini
    3 years ago

If you need to Clean your dish washer itself....try running it empty with a generous helping ( half a container ) of TANG! It works on my old kitchen aid. Helps degrease. Let us know.

• Carol Scheel
    3 years ago

Thanks to all. I did not know that Arm and Hammer made soda crystals. I read where I could take it and bake it at 400 degrees and it would form soda crystals (change in chemistry when heated I suppose)

• Lynn McCoy Sloan
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'm washing my silver-plated flatware and having to wipe off the bronze/yellow frequently (Bosch dishwasher). Not a huge deal and it restores easily - I also don't let the flatware touch stainless as I use the top rack that has individual slots. I will try Method pods as recommended. I have also been using a rinse aid - I'm sure that is not good. I did a little research and vinegar not recommended as a replacement. I also read that citric acid is harmful to silver/silverplate. Any comments on rinse aid in regards to silver-plated flatware?

• Rachel Glazer
    2 years ago

Rinse Aid is a very unhealthy product to use. It is designed to stay on your dishes/glasses. I highly recommend you dont use it.

• Carol Scheel
    2 years ago

What do you recommend I use in the dishwasher to wash and rinse the silver and china? I'm needing some good advice.

• Julie Shulick
    2 years ago

I actually just switched to Blueland (order from their website), for their dishwasher tablets. I love them, they get everything clean, and they advertise they’re fine for silver. Plus, since they aren’t “pods”, there’s no plastic in them going into the waste water. (I also use their foaming hand soap and I absolutely love that too). Very environmentally conscious company.

• alice oconnor
    2 months ago

Not sure anyone is still following this thread but.....I am having the same issue as many of you re sterling, silver plate and stainless causing the grey/brown discoloration on white china dishes. Has anyone sloved this? Recommended dish detergent? Special tips and tricks?