Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjr220

Kohler Stages Sink: review after 6 weeks of use

rjr220
13 years ago

There have been some threads here regarding the Kohler Stages sink -- I saw it while planning my kitchen and knew that it was the sink I wanted -- and in a way, planned part of my kitchen around it. I've been using it now for about 6 weeks, and thought I would post my experience thus far with it. I chose the 45 inch version, and installed the Grohe K4 in the middle of the basin part of the sink.

The sink comes with a wood cutting board, a large plastic tray/cutting board, a smaller tray/cutting board, 6 porcelain prep bowls, and an accessory rack that hooks on the shallow end of the sink. The accessory rack is meant to hold the plastic cutting boards/trays and the prep bowls. It will not hold the wood cutting board. I chose not to install the rack, but instead put a drawer beneath the shallow end of the sink to hold knives (it's the "anything that cuts" drawer); and a pull-out garbage below that drawer. I store the cutting boards upright below the sink, in a small divider that I got from BB&B.

In order to get the drawer under the shallow end of the shelf, the left side of the drawer had to be shaved down a bit, and a notch put in the back of the drawer to allow for the hook that was meant to hold the accessory shelf.

As I said above, the wood cutting board is large and heavy. If you get this sink -- whether or not you choose to use the accessory tray, you need to plan on where to store this. Under the sink is working fine for me. But, be aware, it weighs 12.5 pounds! It is a lovely board, though, and I put the beeswax/mineral oil on it that I use on my soapstone.

The Grohe K4 is perfect for the sink. The hose reaches to the far corner of the shallow end, and the water goes right into the drain. It does splash, but that has something to do with the insinkerator cover, not the sink or the faucet. I love the K4!

As others have mentioned, the deep sink is marvelous. I am short, and worried about having to bend over and reach in, but that hasn't been a problem. The sink is deep enough to hide dirty dishes in when the DW isn't available.

I also like the size of the deep basin, along with the shallower "prep" end. I hand wash pots and pans in a dishpan, put them on the in-sink rack, rinse, and then put them up on the shallow end of the sink until the kids FINALLY come to dry them.

I also like the shallow end to help separate the "clean dirty" and contaminated dirty items. For example, if I cut up meat, I put the knife in the deep end of the sink. If I have something that I've used, but may want to use it again, but it isn't contaminated, I'll put it on the shallow side of the sink. Kind of like what you do when you have 2 basins.

I don't have 2 sinks, so this sink is my prep and clean up sink. It is large enough so that I can be prepping at one end, and my kids/husband washing at the other. The cutting boards fitting neatly into the sink and extending the counter is really handy. I am short, so what I really like is that a cutting board is no higher than the counter. I'm not so crazy about the porcelain prep bowls that come with the sink -- I wish they were plastic and not as heavy, and a bit shorter. In the video they show fitting the prep bowls into the large tray --what I do is use the wood cutting board and slide it partially over the sink. I put the prep bowls on the shallow prep end of the sink, and then scoop the items into the bowls. Like this, except in this example I'm making salad and just put the salad bowls on the sink:

I also just cut and slide cut items directly into the pan I'm using -- here I'm making a roasted tomato soup and just shoved the onions into the roast pan

In the background of the above picture you can see a white prep dish with cherry tomatoes. Those prep dishes are a perfect size to put on the shelf while I'm prepping and sliding the items.

The sink itself has zero radius corners on the ends of the sink, but the bottom front and back are rounded, more like a traditional sink. It's been easy to clean, I just spray the sink and the rack down at night with a cleaner, and then take the rack out, wipe down the sink, and then put the rack in, wipe it down and rinse it all. The corners don't gather any junk.

So, is the sink worth the hype? I like the design, I am using it like the designers intended -- I've just personalized it a bit. I reach for my prep bowls and salad bowls before their prep bowls. I think the accessory tray isn't worth the space it requires -- the drawer and garbage space was better use to me. But, I am very happy with the sink, and would definately get it again.

Hope this is helpful to anyone thinking of getting the Stages.

Comments (38)

• beachpea3
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you rjr... Would love to order this sink...just trying to figure out a space for it. Your report was great!!! Thank you for taking the time to give us all a personal review..very helpful!!

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

I wish I had the space. I see they have a smaller version but I don't think that makes a very useful sink because the bowl seems so small.

Lucky you!

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

Love this sink...wish I'd seen it sooner and had a bigger budget! It's lovely!!

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

Thank you for the review. It's especially reassuring to know that the sink is easy to keep clean.

I just found out that our sink is taking longer than expected to arrive, and we have had to push back countertop installation by a week. I hope we like ours as much as you seem to like yours, once it is finally installed!

• wandahuberman_westfieldgrp_com
    13 years ago

To RJR220- I would love to see photos of your sink and faucet combination. Still not sure how to navigate this site.

• rjr220
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wanda -- just saw your posting from a week ago. Below is a link to my unfinished kitchen, which has some pictures of the sink/faucet combo -- and then, if you click on the finished kitchen, there are a few more.

I'm still loving the combo and have been very happy with both!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• insaneinflorida
    12 years ago

I am nearing the end of what has been 20 months out of our house and a simple remodel/addition that turned into a complete gut. I love your sink, and I am installing this sink in my kitchen island. In your opinion, is one faucet sufficient (Kohler site shows it with 2 on the 45" Stages)? I am considering the Blanco Master Gourmet for my faucet (it has a faucet and separate spray). Would you mount it centered on the basin or centered on the entire sink? Also, I am considering soapstone countertops. How do you like them and did you install yourself?

• maqsews
    12 years ago

I would love to hear/see updates from rjr220, eastbaymom, insaneinflorida and anyone else who has installed this Kohler Stages 45 sink. How is the finish holding up in terms of scratches, waterspots, etc? Do you use the bottom grid? Does it drain well. Would you buy it again?

• donna murphy
    12 years ago

I was just saying to my kids today how happy I am with the Kohler 45 stages sink. I really love it. Spent a lot of time researching the product and I have to say, I wish I would've gone with my gut instinct and saved myself months of 'study'. The bottom grid might be my favorite thing, that and the size. I have no scratches on the bottom of the sink, only on the shelf part, where things land, like pots, pans, etc. I would buy it again and recommend it. I used to keep the cutting board in place all the time, now I store it underneath, I like having the whole sink available for hiding dirty dishes! anyway, it was a wise choice, for whatever it's worth!

• rjr220
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry -- just getting back on GW after being off for awhile. Started a doctoral program that seems to be taking up most of my time! But, since I'm in the middle of a big paper, I thought it would be a great time to surf on over to my favorite website . . . . .

I still do love my Stages sink. Every single bit. I do use the bottom rack. I bought a bunch of extra pads that go on the feet of the rack, because a couple began wearing through. My husband was not a rack fan before the sink, but sees the benefit now (especially since he's spending more time in the kitchen -- I hear him cleaning up now!).

• random60
    10 years ago

I am considering the same setup as rjr220 (removing the rack and notching into the drawer above the pull out garbage). rjr220, I would like to know what size cabinet the Kohler Stages sink is in. BTW, the pictures are fabulous - they will be extremely helpful when I explain it to my contractor! Thanks.

• BVojtech
    9 years ago

I'm considering a similar sink made by Ticor.

What I'm wondering about is this- I'm not allowed to have a dishwasher in my co-op. I have very limited counter space and I'm extending the kitchen into the LR by building a peninsula, but there's a limit to how big I can go and still have a living room. Would I be better off with a single depth sink that has the recessed rim for the cutting board, etc?

I'm just wondering if I need to clean a big pan, will the shallow prep end of the sink be more of a hinderance than a help?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ticor Sink

• Elise Goldfarb
    9 years ago

My installer misplaced my accessory holder. Would you be willing to sell me yours?

Elise, Miami Beach

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

If your installer lost it, he should replace it.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

miamigro, I have an accessory holder from my Stages 45 that I can send you. PM me. Just happy that someone can use it.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

bumping up for miamigro or anyone else who wants the Stages accessory holder. PM me.

• suzan1803
    8 years ago

Beautiful sink, do I need any other attachments other than am in-sink orator

• Robert Romaine
    8 years ago

how thick are your counters? Does the board sit flush?

• Albert Lo
    7 years ago

Do you guys have any issues washing the cutting board? Do you take it off and wash it?

• suzanne_sl
    7 years ago

I wash the cutting board frequently. For simple veggie chopping and sandwich cutting, I just sponge off the top in place. For serious meat and poultry cutting, I tip it down into the sink and give it a good soap and water wash. For a complete wash, I usually leave it tipped in the sink until dry. When I do a complete soap and water clean up of the sink, including the shelf, I move the cutting board off to the counter until the rails are dry. Upkeep is pretty simple. Every now and then I apply Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner.

• trudiahart
    7 years ago

Considering the 45". Do I need 2 faucets? I like the Karbon by Kohler but was wondering if I really need 2?

• scrappy25
    7 years ago

As you can see by this posting and many others, you do not need two faucets for this sink , as long as you have a pullout component that can reach to all sides of the sink. However, from personal experience, having two faucets is really useful if you have more than one cook or sink user and no separate prep sink. If that is your case, get two good quality pullout faucets, and it will still cost you less than a single Karbon. If not, go for the single Karbon , and make sure you post a picture!

• User
    7 years ago

Do you "need" 2? No. Does 2 make the system more functional? Yes.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

You don't need 2 to be able to reach all ends of the sink with the Karbon. But whether u need 2 to allow multiple users is something to consider.

• albrnick
    7 years ago

Would you happen to have a name or link for the divider you got from BB & B that holds the cutting board under the sink? I just got this sink (*Loving* It!! :), but looking for a good storage solution. Thanks!

• Maribeth
    6 years ago

Still loving this 2 1/2 years later. This is the day it was installed in Spring, 2015! It is my prep sink and has one faucet with long pull out (to answer several questions posted here. I don't think you need more than one faucet). I have a single bowl sink over by the dishwasher for rinsing for DW and washing pots and pans.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My fabricator installed the sink but the cutting board does not fit. Also the white trays do not fit. Nothing slides across the opening. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this sink difficult to install? I would like to know if others had this experience? At this moment, it seems too complicated and I wish I had ordered a farm sink.

• bbtrix
    6 years ago

It is not difficult to install. If your fabricator installed to the specs the cutting boards would work like a charm. It requires a zero reveal. Show us a close up.

He needs to redo.

• bbtrix
    6 years ago

Btw, you should start your own thread on this rather than adding your issue to someone else’s old thread.

• suzanne_sl
    6 years ago

Holly - I had exactly that issue. The good news is that it was easily solvable.

When I realized by cutting board, etc. didn't fit, we called the granite installers. The woman on the phone said we should call Home Depot. ??? So we talked to her boss and he sent out the guys to have a look. The Kohler sink is long and likely to get a bow in the long side somewhere along the way. They saw exactly what the problem was and fixed it by gently and progressively wedging a padded 2x4 or two across the width all along the long sides. I think they had to release the silicon on the one side to make this work. Essentially they were pushing the bow back out to straight to get back to rectangular. It didn't take long, less than 1/2 hour from beginning to end, and nothing was damaged. All fixed and good as new. Love this sink.

• bbtrix
    6 years ago

Hopefully that’s the issue and not a negative reveal. I love this sink too!!

• User
    6 years ago

Thanks. I will check on that tomorrow. I appreciate it very much.

• Maribeth
    6 years ago

Hi Holly, I'm sorry you are having that problem and so nice of suzanne_sl to offer assistance. The bowls that came with my cutting board and tray accessories did not fit in to their white tray. Kohler sent me a replacement tray and they won't fit in to that one either. HOWEVER, that has been the only negative about the sink in 3 years and I just don't ever put all 6 in the tray at once, when prepping. I just ordered a new walnut cutting board. If they ever change the sink (hopefully not), I will still have a beautiful board that will fit. I love the sink and hope you enjoy yours, also. Let us know how it goes!

• User
    6 years ago

Thanks, Maribeth. The installer came back and fixed the problem, I have had the sink about two weeks now. I really like the stainless steel shelf. I had originally wanted a farm sink but my husband wanted this sink. I am beginning to like this sink very much. I will also order a new cutting board. Thank you for the idea.

• Alise Kellman
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Does anyone know if you can put the Stages 45 sink into a 36” base cabinet? Koehler says you need a 48” cabinet but some pictures seem to show the shallow end placed beyond the base cabinet.

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

Yes you can, as you can see from the original posters‘ pictures.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/3009581/bbtrix-install-stages-45#n=8

• PRO
    DECOREM HOME IMPROVEMENT LLC.
    5 years ago
    I have a 33” Kohler Stages in my Kitchen as well and I LOVE IT!
    It sits well in a 36” Full Height Base Cabinet (the doors are full height, no drawer front). I teamed it with a Moen 90 degree pull out faucet, Kohler Square Soap Dispenser and a top mount square Disposal control. I agree, the bowls that come with the sink do not fit as advertised, but are quite useful. It has taken all the prep work to one area of my kitchen, which is genius. The cutting board is top notch and I keep it well oiled. I highly recommended this sink to all my clients.