Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Those prettty little feet...

CEFreeman
9 years ago

Got your attention? :) Good.

So.
I have built a TON of cabinetry. Some of which I want to look more like furniture. I've been experimenting with toe kick placement, and think a flush kick is more the look I want.

However. I'm thinking in a few areas, I'd like to use some pretty feet. I can make them, so design isn't an issue.
But, those of you who have feet (on your cabinets that is)

Behind your feet, do you have a toe kick? Is it flush to the back of your feet, or not at all? Or is the base factory toe kick just back there?

Got any pics? Could you please get down and lie on the floor and take some? (ROTFL) Ok, just ignore your own furballs. Push those boobs to the side, or even a 1/2 lying on your side is great. I know whereof I speak, so I'm not being all that silly!!

I could use some recommendations on functionality, too, since I'm not the best or avid housekeeper in the world.
I know, you'll recover from the shock. It's the truth. Of all people, I'd never lie to you. I suck.

So.... about your feet....

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 17:42

Comments (19)

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Some thoughts about feet: I love mine! And, yes, I like feet on furniture and think cabinet feet add a really nice look. However....
    I hate having to sweep under anything that is raised without a kickplate. Everything you drop and every dust bunny in the house collects *under* whatever is near. And I would never buy flush to the floor cabinets. My toes need room to go underneath; otherwise, I'd be stubbing them all the time and have blue and black nails. Plus, the cursing upsets the cat. :)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

My thoughts exactly, tomato freak! I wanted to put feet on my cabinets, too. But then I thought about how the dust bunnies collect under the feet of the server, and how neither one of my cleaning robots can get to it. Cabinet feet at my sink or stove would just be waiting to knock me on my ass while my sleepy brain was trying to wake up in the morning. No toe kick wouldn't be a trip hazard, but I would definitely jam my toes several times a day.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tomatofreak, my thoughts, too.
    That's why I was considering a toe kick, with the feet in front of it.

With 5 cats, [shudder] I know you know what I know. OMG.

I moved a mirror I had leaning against the wall a few days ago. I did a double take because I thought a cat was hiding behind it. No worries! It was just 10000 POUNDS OF FUR.

Gotcha. I love 'em, but how to do them wisely. They would be on cabinets not used frequently, so that's a plus.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

The only thing on feet in my kitchen is my stove. Where do all the toy mice, paper clips, rattle balls, etc. go? Under the stove. My cats sit with long faces looking at the stove because all their pretties end up under it.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

LOL, Linelle! When I start sweeping under the stove, I never know what will emerge.

CEF, I have a Garfield poster that reads, "In this house, cat hair is a condiment."

• coco4444
    9 years ago

Here's one example, not in my kitchen, but of a new bathroom vanity with a fancier façade in front of a functional toe kick. This one was done in a whole piece and then screwed to the cabinet... I had to remove it to trim it to add my spacer strip.

• voila
    9 years ago

I had furniture style bottom of two cabinets and the island in my last house. The toe kick was recessed a few inches. I can't find pics of the bottoms of the cabinets. They looked a little like the bottom of my antique desk, but were Dynasty/Omega cabinets. I would look at the websites of a few cabinet manufacturers specs. I liked the look, but yes hard to clean under. The island faced our family room. When seated you could easily see any dust balls, or maybe just my compulsiveness. No pets, but I did use my steamer to kill any little spiders. I learned the itsy-bitsy spiders liked them.

• psbjmb
    9 years ago

I love those feet, too, and hope to add a few judicious ones on my cabinets. I have seen them on several of the blogs I follow, one suggested painting the toe kick black or dark brown so it would appear to recede, or be less visible.

I've linked to one of my favorite bloggers below. She is absolutely incredible, and is redoing her kitchen. She is using off the shelf oak cabinets from one of the big box stores but is customizing them. The link below is to the tutorial she did for adding feet to hers.

Patty

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorative feet for stock cabinets

• coco4444
    9 years ago

That blog (and woman) is incredible!

• crl_
    9 years ago

I feel like I have heard of people doing these and attaching them to the toe kick with Velcro so you could remove them for cleaning. . . .

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Here are the feet on my bathroom vanity cabinet.

As you can see, no toe kick, flush, recessed or otherwise. Initially the installer put one in recessed a couple inches but we both decided it looked better without one.

I don't find it difficult at all, to put the wand of my vacuum cleaner under there and suck up whatever lies beneath. A Swifter Sweeper mop also fits under there with no problem

• updating
    9 years ago

We are putting in a new island with a toe kick all the way around, so I plan to put feet on the corners. I planned to buy premade feet from a hardware store woodwork section and stain it to match, but haven't found them so may have the local woodworking shop make 4 feet for me. I had planned on round feet, notched to fit on the corners. Now that I'm thinking of cleaning, I think I'd prefer a rounded corner foot, but square on the sides to avoid a hidden curve area to collect dust. I'm glad this post made me consider it. I don't think I'll have feet on the room perimeter cabinets. If I did, it would just be on the end cabinets, not at each appliance. That makes it look a little overdone in my opinion... though I prefer simpler rooms in general.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Got to admit I love the 'feet' on this face frame. psbjmb - great link, thanks.

P.S. like my temporary 'handle'?

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here you go Christine. I did lie on floor for this pic.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, guys! :)
    Oldbat2be, I was thinking of that cabinet stack of yours when I asked this question! Yes, I think your handle is a huge improvement over the blue tape I've got petrifying on my cabinets.

Romy, that's what I was thinking, too. Someone did paint the toe kick black and I saw that pic somewhere. I think it receding is a great idea.

I get and store so many ideas. It's amazing how most of my Pinterest boards are house elements and ideas! Anyone who doesn't understand Pinterest's purpose has never 1)had a cat/pet, 2) had a sense of humor, or 3) renoed or built something! (Let's not talk about cleaning boards, ok!?)

Keep 'em coming all. I like the eye candy as well as the ideas!

• Jennifer Franson_Hopper
    9 years ago

Oldbat2be:
    I love that picture! I believe you have mentioned before that you order from either CA or CJ Conestoga. Did you have them determine the correct sizing/specs for your elegant arch?
    Also, is there a hairline horizontal seam between the cabinet base and arch and did you install a toe kick behind?

Sorry for the amt of questions, but you guys are giving me so many great ideas for my upcoming order!
    Thx!

• blubird
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of the corner of my island. You can see how recessed the toe kick is behind the foot. It's easy to clean as you can see all the way through to the other side. All the rest of my cabs have regular toe kicks, but I wanted the island to look more lik a piece of furniture.

Helene

• aries61
    9 years ago

romy718, we actually got to see a picture of your beautiful walnut floors.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

jhophop - In our case, the face frame is a single piece, so no seam and no toe kick. I think by specifying an 'Elegant Arch', that the correct height was determined. Good luck!

Good thread Christine, love seeing what others have done.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert