Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jean1967_gw

is backsplash color right

jean1967
12 years ago

I'm thinking of using Encore Ceramics "smoke" as a field tile(subway). It is the color of the field tile in the sample with the swirl design. Also I would be using the mini blend shown on the sample as an accent. My hesitation is that the backsplash would have no white so I'm ignoring the white in the cabinets and marble island which is in the foreground in the photo. But the veining in the marble has the colors in the mini blend. Also the island is a distressed gray

I can only find photos of kitchens with white cabinets/soapstone/marble with white subway. Is the tile I'm considering too brownish for the rest of my color scheme. My initial reaction was that it added some warmer color that I liked but I don't want it to look like it belongs in another kitchen

Comments (14)

• EMH107
    12 years ago

What color is the counter? It looks black here. The cabinets look off white. Are they a true white?

• advanced
    12 years ago

Hard to say. Your cabinets in the picture look like an off white or cream so the tile looks great. However, IMO, the backsplash does nothing to incorporate the marble on the island but maybe that's not important. But, if your cabinets are a true white I think you should look for something that has a grey tone to pick up the countertops and the veining in the marble.

• jean1967
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The cabinets are not bright white they are slightly creamy, the company offers 3 whites, mine is between bright white and the cream color. The counter is soapstone which is oiled so it is off black with veining that is white with a light greenish tint. The tile blend has a very very pale green/white, 2 gray colors one light called silver and one darker and the color of the field tile called storm. It is described on the website as taupe with hints of green but it definitely reads more tan/taupe in the photo and the smaller sample I now have at home.

Selecting a backsplash is the most difficult part of this process, especially since I didn't have a strong preference from the start like I did with the other aspects

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Can you show us the gray of the island? For me, the kind of gray it is would impact how I felt about the tile in your kitchen.

• jean1967
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is the island color. It is a warm gray that leans more towards green than blue

• mountmerkel
    12 years ago

Wow, that is gorgeous tile. I think your instincts are right though -- the taupe in the tile looks a little too... taupy... to tie in with the white cabinets. It seems like with the crisp, clean white and black colors, the accent tile should be a clean color as well -- either with white, or with a non-muddy color. Does the tile come in a different colorway, with cleaner/brighter colors? It really is beautiful.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

I think the tile works great with the cabinets - and it's beautiful tile. It's the clash between warm and cool tones that is stopping me. With that island finish and marble counter, I just worry you are not going to end up with a cohesive look.

• jean1967
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was also considering this Trikeenan blend but thought it might be too matchy matchy. Maybe I should reconsider it? I think the taupe is too taupey, as I sit and stare at it.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I think you can achieve an mix of warm and cool; I'm not sure I'm feeling it with that tile. I had a tile sample, and I truly wish I could remember what it was; that was a creamy color crackle like tile that had a slight grayish crazing. something like that might look great. I will look through my samples when I can find them and see if I can post a pic.

• noebee1313
    12 years ago

I like the swirly tile you have up as the "sample", only because it has the cream color in the swirl pattern. I think it might look okay if you used some of those tiles along with a solid subway. If the island wasn't such a different vibe, I'd say 100% that the tile looks beautiful with the perimeter cabinets and soapstone. But the island is throwing me off.
    Any chance you can put the samples near the island, and take a picture of it up against the island color??
    Also, what brand are your cabinets, they're beautiful!!

• abbeys
    12 years ago

Jean,

I think your cabinets and countertops look really nice. I am planning to use the encore crackle tile for my backsplash in a different color, so I'm very partial to their tiles - they are just beautiful to look at. I agree with previous posters that the ones in your photos may be a bit "taupey" for the countertops. It's a little hard to tell on the computer screen. Have you tried any of the other colors at your house? There is a color called "Moonlight" that is an off-white, but it may not have enough color for what you want. I looked at the website to see if I remembered any others, but it's so hard to tell from pictures - you really have to see them in person.

Somona Tileworks makes similar-looking tiles, maybe they have a color that would work if none of the encore colors is right.

• jean1967
    Original Author
    12 years ago

noebee-the cabinets are Medallion brand

abbeys-I will check out moonlight, most of the samples are just one tile and I find it very hard to visualize with such a small piece. I know they don't have it in a sample board but I will check it out. Sonoma is sold at the store is well so I will look at those as too

I have a sample of Rixi at home in mandorla and another crackle in white but I think that is too all white for me, although I want to stay fairly neutral so I can change other colors

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I like the color of the tile you are thinking of.
    This kitchen has slightly darker BS tile but the counters
    are not the dark soapstone you have. I still love the look.

Maybe use a mix of tiles...

• ptamom
    12 years ago

This tile ( Adex Artisian in pebble) comes with a subway or 6x6 field tile. The glaze is crackle and would nicely tie in with your island. I love your choices so far!
    http://www.fastfloors.com/lp_36875,0,277214/Adex-USA-Tile-Stone/_/Artisan-Vizcaya-Deco-6-x-6-Pebble/product.htm#NAV

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor