Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnyjj9b

I want a vanity a step up from Home Depot/Lowes

ginjj
9 years ago

My 39 year old bathroom vanity needs replacing. I don't need or want to spend a lot of money. The ones I saw at Home Depot are a bit cheat. I'd love to know the names of brands that are a step up from that.

Thanks,
Ginny

Comments (17)

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

My DH just got a vanity from Lowe's (Schuler brand). It is quite nice. I saw some nice vanities on the Costco web site that come with the sink and granite also. Also BJ's has some nice vanities. Bertch vanities are very nice and I would have gotten one for my remodel, but I didn't have a dealer close by.

What size vanity are you trying to replace?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

We ordered Kraftmaid from HD and chose the wood, stain, door style, trim, etc. It took about three weeks for delivery.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

Home Depot, and I presume Lowe's, sells cabinetry that ranges from super cheap off the shelf to to quite nice. We've just ordered some InnerMost vanities which we know are nice because we've had their kitchen cabinets going on 3 years.

Besides that, though, people on here were working on a list of cabinet brands from roughly lowest to highest cost. Anyone know where that list is right off? I'm sure someone's bookmarked it and would be happy to share.

P.S. Cost isn't a guarantee that one cabinet line is better than another, but at least it gives you an idea.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Yes, go to the kitchen department of Home Depot and order something (after browsing the brands). Those will be much much much nicer than the off-the-rack vanities they offer.

Not that you have to go to HD--the point is that kitchen shops usually do bath cabinets as well and they will be better than the cash and carry stuff at HD.

Another option if you want something inexpensive and decent, check out IKEA's bathroom stuff. Not everyone likes it, but if you do...and it fits...it's not bad at all.

• renov8r
    9 years ago

Custom cabinet makers can be very reasonable in their pricing and will make whatever you want for a vanity.

• crl_
    9 years ago

IKEA's Hemnes line is supposed to be pretty good. I've heard mixed things about the other ikea bath lines.

We needed a very specific size for a small master bath and had it custom made. So that's a possibility too.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

When we started looking at vanities, we went to one of the big box stores - HD, I think. We looked at their display models and were horrified - drawers were crooked, staples were sticking out, doors wouldn't properly close. I asked a passing salesclerk if all of the vanities were like those on display. She very happily said yes, that they arrive preassembled.

Needless to say, that eliminated HD as a supplier of vanities. Custom would have definitely been an option, better quality at a decent price. We opted to go with log vanities, though, which obviously don't work for most people.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I know it's not for everyone, but I'm shopping on the cheap and have found high-end, expensive and gorgeous vanities and sinks on craigslist for much less than new.

• browniepie
    9 years ago

Restoration hardware has great vanities. Have bought 2 from them and have been very pleased with the quality. They have a bath sale a few times a year if I recall correctly.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Why don't you shop for what you like vs. by the cost of it? It's really impossible to rate them step by step, since the market is so broad.

Just start shopping online to see what speaks to you. Then narrow your search by that brand, or type. Then when you find the one you really like, start comparing on that item.

I'm willing to bet that's what 99% of the shoppers do today -- at least the computerized ones! ;)

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Are there any vanities that come with marble tops for a single hole faucet? I'm having so much trouble finding one (36") in white with a white marble top that isn't pre-drilled for a 4" or 8" spread faucet. It's like its non-existent!

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

deb: try Studio Bathe at BJs.com. I believe they have a few.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

If you want to find your own top and sink Barker Cabinets has vanities. Many people on this forum have vouched for their quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barker Cabinet Vanities

• mdln
    9 years ago

Thought the same thing, the vanities @ big box stores looked like they would easily fall apart. Went to numerous other kitchen & bath stores, looked at what seemed like a million vanities at many different price points.

I think Ronbow is one step up from the vanities I saw at HD, Lowes & Menards.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ronbow vanities

• cigany
    4 years ago

Any other brands? I think Rejuvination looks nice but I haven’t seen them in person. Fairmont is nice too.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor