Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justmakeit

Kitchen/condo renovation for friend with cancer

justmakeit
10 years ago

Sadly, a dear dear friend of mine has cancer in the bone, seven years after breast cancer. She is feeling OK, dealing with the news, living her life, and so on. But I need some advice from you:

My friend is Jewish and observes the Sabbath (no cars, for example). Her current Sabbath apartment is 1.25 miles from her synagogue, which is far too long a walk for her. So she and her husband have bought a condo in a 70's building close to the synagogue. The condo is, um, hideous, and they are prepared to put some money into updating it to make it habitable. They don't have to live in it while the work is being done. They use it only on Sabbath and on the Jewish holidays, and they've kept their old Sabbath apartment to use in the meantime.

Here's the issue: even when my friend is healthy, she doesn't like talking to contractors, worker guys, getting things to happen in her house. It stresses her out. These days, the stress is exponential. She has the name of a highly recommended contractor, but I'm wondering if she should also hire a designer or project manager, so that she has some help with the planning, designing, and overseeing the contractor. Does this make any sense? If it does, how should she go about finding someone? An interior designer? A kitchen designer?

I'd tackle such a job, but I think she needs me more as a friend right now than as a project manager. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Comments (4)