Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californiagirl_gw

bethv -- Can you share your cab spreadsheet template?

californiagirl
15 years ago

Bethv -- you probably didn't realize that several of us would love to see your cabinet spec spreadsheet or at least the template. Can you post it?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0615052727034.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about cabinet spec spreadsheet

Comments (9)

• bethv
    15 years ago

I sure can post it.. how do I do that??

• californiagirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I can't figure it out quickly. I tried a few things that didn't work. When I tried pasting my column headings into a message it just wrapped around like text. Can you at least do that, post your column headings that way while I work on figuring out how to get a spreadsheet to show in GW? That's part of my long-term personal project for this forum anyway because cabinets are such a huge part of a kitchen budget and it's very difficult to get good information. So I was hoping to start a spreadsheet that people could add to, sort of the way people add to the FKB.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

A while back someone posted PDF files of their floorplan on a different site. She posted the link to the site and we were then able to open the file at that site. I wonder if the same could be done w/a spreadsheet....

• ravmd
    15 years ago

Could you scan or photograph it in the meantime and post it? We wouldn't be able to add to it but would allow us to see how you rated/compared the different cabinets.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Beth,

Google Docs can handle spreadsheets. It could be accessed via a link.

I have a 4Shared.com account to which files can be uploaded and shared via a link.

• bethv
    15 years ago

Ok. I created a 4Share account and uploaded the spreadsheet. I didn't do anything with Google docs though. I hope this works! Can someone let me know if it doesn't work?
    Below are the evaluation points..the next column would be the best attribute.. then the next column after that the next best and finally unacceptable. As I read about a cabinet line I would fill in the info and then color code the box according to whether it was best, next best, or unacceptable. I pulled the attributes from Consumer Reports and some books I have.

Shelves
    Cabinet Box
    Back
    Wood Doors
    Wood Drawer Fronts
    Hinges
    Drawers:
    Depth
    Drawer Box
    Dovetail Drawers
    Full-Extension Drawers
    Soft Close
    Drawer Glides
    Warranty
    Finish
    KCMA seal
    Hanging rails/Mounting strips
    Pullout drawers
    Have types & Sizes needed?
    Notes

Here's the evaluation points & attributes - Best=B, Next Best=NB, Unacceptable=UA. Not every point has all an Unacceptable or Next Best

Shelves
    B: Adjustable 3/4 plywood
    NB: 5/8"

Cabinet Box
    B: Corner gussets, I-beams, 3/4-1/2" face frame,furntiure-grade plywood less likely to warp than solid wood
    NB: 3/8" plywood
    UA: Particleboard, avoid laminate over particleboard

Wood Doors
    B: Mortised corners, solid wood frame with solid wood panel
    NB: butt joints, veneer over plywood

Wood Drawer Fronts
    B: 3/4" hardwood or metal w/bolt holes
    NB: 1/2" particleboard
    UA: MDF, particleboard, Hinges
    B: Cup, adjustable

Drawer Attributes

Depth
    B: Full

Drawer Box
    B: Wood or plywood, 3/4" sides (2 cm), plywood bottom sitting in grooves
    NB: MDF med density fiberboard, 1/2" sides (1.2 cm), metal sides, stapled bottom back
    UA: Particleboard

Dovetail Drawers
    B: yes

Full-Extension Drawers

Soft Close

Drawer Glides
    B: Steel, Epoxy Coated, Ball Bearings, Bottom Mount, rated to hold 75 lbs
    NB: Nylon Rollers, Side Mount

Warranty
    B: Lifetime

Finish
    B: Conversion varnish, catalyzed

KCMA seal

Hanging rails/Mounting strips
    *don't have criteria here

Pullout drawers
    B: Wood or plywood, 3/4" sides (2 cm), plywood bottom sitting in grooves
    NB: MDF med density fiberboard, 1/2" sides (1.2 cm), metal sides, stapled bottom back

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet evaluation spreasheet

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Beth, it works. It is easy to understand and helpful information. Thanks for sharing.

• iris16
    15 years ago

Thank you for doing all that work! Even though I'm not getting new cabinet it has helped me evaluate the ones I have.

• californiagirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beth -- That is just fantastic. Thanks to Cothele for showing us how to get the spreadsheet posted to share. I've got a couple things on mine that you don't have but that folks might want to add if that's what they need. Some of it is about what options are available in a line because you might count a line out if it doesn't offer what you really want or need.

First, you can put a column for each upgrade to show what the percentage or absolute cost for the upcharge is for that item.

Another is 39" uppers.

Next are increased depth uppers (show what the depth increases to -- some are 13" and some are 15").

For the doors, some doors use a veneer panel instead of a solid panel and there seems to be disagreement about which is better.

Toe kick drawers is an option some lines have (and often the person selling the cabs doesn't know, based on reading GW).

Interiors can be vinyl/melamine or wood.

Curved base cabs are on my list but not every line has them.

Inset, lipped and partial overlay are only available in some lines. Full overlay seems to be the default once you get beyond basic builder cabs (generally partial overlay).

Shelf clips can be plastic or the more sturdy metal.

Please add more to this thread.