Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lake_girl_gw

MDBmom - Can you tell me about your island, please??

Lake_Girl
12 years ago

MDBmom - I just saw your pictures on another thread, and I love what you did to your island. We just changed up our island and added some trim, etc. I like the way you added legs to yours and had wanted to do that to mine. I am just afraid it will take up more floor space, and the legs might get in the way of traffic. It looks like you did an overhang on two sides, which is what we have. Can you tell me how far your bar overhang is on both sides? Also, did you just use some kind of post and build it up with trim? Thanks for your help!

Comments (8)

• MDBmom
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Lake_Girl!

Thanks! We are really happy with the way it turned out. We didn't want to expand the island so much that it got in the way of traffic either. We added a trash cabinet to one end and wanted to add a book shelf to the other. Once we started working on the island though, it felt too tight with the stove on that side so we revised it to have the third post. Also there are 5 of us in our family and we wanted everyone to be able to sit at the island so it allows us to store a small counter stool underneath on that side so we can all sit there. The total overall dimensions of the island are 42x76" (including the counter top). The overhang on the short side from the end of cabinet to end of apron is 9 1/2" and on the long side 14". The posts are 3 1/2" square. On the bottom, we used base board and cut it to the size we needed to save some time and money. On the top we used some ogee trim. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. Here are 2 more pics from a different view so you can see the side with the other overhang. Best, Caroline

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Caroline. I'm going to post a couple of pics of the island for you to see. The wood top has since been cut down to approx. 66.5 in x 36.5 in. We're in the process of finishing it, hopefully by end of week. We want to use soapstone on the perimeter and change the knobs. (It's definitely a process when you DIY.) BTW, I love your soapstone, so any info is much appreciated in this area also! Anyway, back to the legs. We really just need to seat 3, but I'm afraid the corner of the island gets pretty close to the table in the bay window, and might get in the way. Have you found this to be a problem, and would you add them if you did it over?

• MDBmom
    12 years ago

Hi,

To start with the soapstone- we have had it in for about a month now and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I cannot get enough of the charcoaly black color and feel of it--like a baby's skin. It is from Brazil so is the very soft version of it. It definitely dings and scratches easily. The scratches disappear with an oiling and the dings blend in with oiling. I plan to try and sand them soon so I will let you know how that goes. I am not sure where you are located but we are in PA and got it from Bucks County Soapstone. We paid a tiny bit more to go with them (maybe $5/sq ft more) but I cannot say enough about how wonderful this company is. It was so worth it. It is the best company I have every dealt with--with regards to anything I have ever purchased. They are just wonderful! Maybe I should do an add for them;o).

With regards to your island--I LOVE the wood. We had butcher block in our old house and I just loved it. We thought of it for here too but I didn't feel it fit with the style of this more traditional house. (I like a much more funky house with more character but this made more sense to be in a neighborhood with lots of kids). I think a soapstone perimeter will look gorgeous. My aunt has a different kind of soapstone--little more greenish to it and it is much harder. It is equally beautiful and is what made us think of soapstone originally.

As far as the posts go, how big are your cabinets (total overall dimensions of it)? When we were working on ours--they suggested a minimum of an 11" overhang on the sides with the larger counter stools. They actually suggested it on any overhang side but we didn't have enough room on the stove side and we knew we would just have a small stool there so it didn't bother us. We did a bit more on the fridge side than the 11" as we had the space. I would say that once the counter is installed, try to put a piece of wood or baseball bat or fed ex shipping tube... to mimic the post in the place you want it by the kitchen table to see if it bothers you. That is what we did with the extra overhang on the island on the stove side as one of the handymen we got a quote from said it might feel too cramped. It didn't bother me. What I would say about the posts is they don't make it feel closed at all. It still feels as open as when I just had the counter without posts. You could also do slightly smaller posts. IMHO I really love the posts. It used to bother me before we replaced the counters and expanded the island that the counter was just floating there with no support--but that is just me. I know many like it the other way better and I think it just comes down to personal preference. I am by no means any good at designing though--I am very mathematical and love symmetry:o) so hopefully someone else who is more artistic or with design experience can weigh in. Good luck. Keep me updated and let know about the dimensions of the cab to see if you can do the posts! Also, LOVE how your kitchen is turning out!

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information. My island is about 25 1/4 x 55 1/2 without the top on it. It's actually smaller than it had been before. The island previously had a bend or angle to it. (I'll try to post a pic.) It is two cabs, one with two doors and two drawers, and a single cab. with a drawer. My husband took the laminate top off and pushed the two cabs together making it a rectangle. He then added trim to back, sides, and feet. He's going to add add'l trim to perimeter cabs. (These are from 1997.) When we realized it would be smaller, we decided to overhang on the end to fit all 3 barstools. The overhang is only about 10 or 11 in. That's what the old top was, and it seemed fine. We have an eat-in kitchen (no sep. dining room), so we need a larger table. We're trying to find a good deal on soapstone and diy that as well. Remnants may even work with our perimeter. We've done a lot, but still have lots to do (undercab lighting, hardware, backsplash, etc.) Thanks again!

• MDBmom
    12 years ago

Hi,

You have made great progress. The island looks beautiful! I love the curve on the bottom front.

I think you could definitely do the posts but maybe do ones slightly smaller---3" or 2.5". That way they won't look too close to the island itself. I really don't feel like it makes our island look bulky and it doesn't get in the way of traffic at all. I hope it works for you!

Where are you located? If you are near PA you should call BCSS. They had a ton of remnants. I am not sure if they sell them or not but it is worth a call. Good luck!

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your help. We're south of Atlanta and soapstone doesn't seem to be too common around here. Dorado stone has someone they work with about 45 min. from here, but he doesn't seem to have much stock, and will hardly return calls. We're thinking about M. Texiera, even though shipping was a little high. I know it will happen with a little patience, though.

Thanks again!!

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

MDBMom,

May I ask you what is the name of the edge treatment on your SS? It seems more rounded and graceful than a strict pencil edge - really was struck by its beuty!

Thanks

L

• MDBmom
    12 years ago

liriodendron,

Thank you. It is called a Franklin Edge (at least that is what they call it at Bucks County Soapstone in PA). It is a little hard to see in these pictures but basically they sanded the edges down so they are somewhat rounded. I really love the look and feel of it:o). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Lake_Girl

Good luck with the Soapstone search!