Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimkg_gw

Wood edged countertop--outdated?

kimkg
9 years ago

We have a wood-edged laminate countertop, and the contractor we had give us a bid said he could just sand down and put new laminate over the top. That is definitely the cheapest option; however, is the wood-edged countertop too outdated?

I just restained our cabinets a dark chocolate brown (so will need to stain the edge to match), and I'm going to get a lighter colored laminate, with creams and browns.

Comments (14)

• lam702
    9 years ago

Yes, its dated but if you like it, get it anyway. Sometimes I think we worry a little too much about what is on trend and what is dated. Just about everything becomes dated in time so you might as well get what works for you.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I'd rather have a wood edge on a tile countertop than a tile edge. It seems they all chip.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Have you looked into IKEA laminate counters. They are 69.00 for an 8 ft countertop.
    Having said that, IKEA also offers laminate counters with a wood effect edge, so you may be at the cutting edge of counters :)

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I think it may be due for a comeback. I am seriously considering laminate in my ensuite. I'm not crazy about the idea of the edge where you'll see the dark core of the laminate, though. So I may be doing a wood edge.

I think there's been a trend away from laminate in general over the last 10+ years. But as people start to realize that expensive isn't always better, laminate is going to become more popular again. And the wood will add a little more character to it.

• meganmca
    9 years ago

I have one--and the issue is that the bond between the wood & the laminate fails (or isn't waterproof, whatever). Areas with lots of water--over the dishwasher--the laminate swells a bit at the edge so is proud of the wood edge. I don't recommend this stuff.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

I like the look and had it for years with no issues. I did condition the wood trim every 6-9 months with Howard's Feed 'n Wax to keep it looking brand new. I also had wood trim 30 years ago in my first custom kitchen, but inset with cobalt tile and dark blue grout instead of laminate and I loved it beyond words. Easy to clean. Thinking about doing it again in my laundry reno as I love porcelain tile.

I don't know about reapplying new laminate over old, but if you like the look, keep it. What's in or out is meaningless. That said, ITA with the resale notion. If you might sell in 2-5 years, you might want to consider other options.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

We had an oak wood edge on laminate counters.
    We had our counters re-surfaced (sanded, then new laminate applied) with new laminate, but I had the oak edges removed and matching laminate edges installed. It updated the kitchen quite a bit to get rid of the almond laminate with oak (I didn't even do anything with my oak cabinets. Is it possible to get finished edges? (I did eventually update my knobs/pulls).

Here is a picture--

• schicksal
    9 years ago

How much for the blender?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"I have one--and the issue is that the bond between the wood & the laminate fails (or isn't waterproof, whatever). Areas with lots of water--over the dishwasher--the laminate swells a bit at the edge so is proud of the wood edge. I don't recommend this stuff."

Laminate is predominately phenolic which doesn't really swell, however, the underlayment, which is usually MDF will swell if it gets wet, pushing the laminate up.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I really love laminate and have had it in every place I've ever lived. My last house had a detailed oak trim and it was pretty rough looking on the island and in front of the sink where gunk would get stuck in the crevices. I would just wipe it with a rag and sanded it in a place where the previous owner had gouged and split the piece. Actually I guess with that abuse it held up pretty well.

I didn't really like the way it looked though, but if I did like it I would get it again because if I would have taken care of it at all I'm sure it would have looked great.

I will probably DIY laminate tops in our next house because well I just can't bring myself to spend a ton of money on stone. I will most likely get a black top and just take a good ole magic marker to that brown seam on the edge.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

No brown seams anymore Iowa! I just had laminate counters installed with either an eased edge or a D-wrap, and it is smooth laminate all around. At least on the front of the counter; the short ends have a teeny bit of a seam where the counter meets the stove, but it's not terribly noticeable.

If you like it with the wooden edge, get it, but it's not necessary now.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

That's great MGMum! I think I have seen something about the edges they do now on the Wilsonart and Formica sites, and it is awesome. I am so happy they are coming up with ways to make it look a little nicer and really more like one solid piece like stone.

I know you can buy solid pieces online and from the big box stores, but how did the cost of your counters compare to getting them 'off the rack' if you don't mind my asking.

I know people usually say they don't like the laminates that mimic things like stone or wood, but there are a couple now that are great. Laminate gets a bad rap on GW (I think sometimes it's liked to the builder grade oak cabinets of which I also had), but I would rather spend the money from stone on upgrading my windows when we build our house.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I think you need to know your house/market when deciding. For me, this is considered a "temporary" upgrade. Temporary for me being up to 10 yrs! :) Eventually, we will tear out our kitchen and remodel, resize, reoptimize, etc. but not yet. And, this laminate is much, much better than what I had. It was enough of a refresher (along with the new pulls) that I was happy in my kitchen again.

Is it a "new kitchen"--no. Is it updated? Yes. (we also got rid of the 80s fluorescent light fixture and put in cans.)