Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abctate_gw

New kitchen= check! (Pic heavy!)

abctate
11 years ago

Hi all! First of all I want to say I found GW after we had started our project. Now I am addicted! So many great ideas and suggestions. I love seeing other people's choices so I decided to add mine to the mix.

We have been in our home for 20 plus years. It was built by my husband's grandfather and has even been hit by a tornado once. The ground it sits on has been in our family for over 100 years. THIS is our forever home. We farm and have 3 boys so we have a very active home. Our new space had to be able to take the wear & tear and dirt & grime that come from farm life. As you can see in the pics we enclosed a porch and removed a kitchen bar area and removed a couple of walls. We moved into our garage the end of March and our contractor began work on April 1. (no April fools even!) We moved back in on June 1. We love it! It fits our family perfectly. One of the reasons we decided to remodel is we had no place to entertain. If people came over for a party we had to move furniture and set up tables in the living room. We have never had a table. We ate around the bar. When my son's girlfriend came into the picture we realized we had trouble sitting 6 comfortably. So we really wanted room for a table. Well, our space just did not allow it without getting rid of a living room. So we did the next best thing... a big a** island. We had 10 people around it the other night very comfortably. We gutted the kitchen and the fireplace room to the studs and rewired them completely. The plaster walls in the other LR stayed but we did repair them and then "orange peeled" the entire new space. We also had to relocate a door to our basement from the kitchen to a hallway. ALSO.. I have never had a dishwasher before! HEAVEN!

The details:

Perimeter Cabinets : Koch cabinets in Red Oak stained Brandy color. Soft close drawers and added soft close to doors after installed.

Perimeter Granite: India Copper Brown. (looks almost black)

Island Cabinets: Koch in Birch stained Java color.

Island Granite: White Delicatus

Sink: BLANCO DIAMOND 1-3/4 BOWL in Metallic Grey

Faucet: Delta Leland Single Handle Pull down

Frig: LG French door ..purchesed a couple years ago

Stove: LG.. again purchased a couple years ago

Microwave: new LG with ExtdaVent - LMHM2017ST

Dishwasher: new LG Steam LDF7932ST

Beverage frig: Danby Silhouette 5.0 Cubic Ft. Beverage Center - DBC2760BLS

Front door: ThermaTru Classic Craft (fiberglass)

Windows: Pella Designer Seriers with blinds

Kitchen flooring: Armstrong Alterna Mesa Stone : color Chocolate (grouted)

Carpet: Mohawk Longboat Key

Backsplash was from Home Depot

Pendant lights: Lowe's

Barstools: Ashley Naomi

Before....

fireplace room (before)

Living room (before)

from kitchen into living room front door in the middle of the two

front (before .. kinda during actually)

Holy smoke! looking into the kitchen from fireplace

NEW! front! (filled in the porch) I HEART the door!

bookcase in island. plug in are inside it!

Living room

the fireplace room

front door walks into the fireplace room now

I have lots of detail pics and "what's in my drawer" pics too! Thought I better not make this too pic heavy though. THANKS!

Comments (30)

• badgergal
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a great transformation. Your island is fabulous and the china cabinet is too. Your place is warm and inviting. Your guests will not want to leave. Wishing you lots of good times in your new kitchen

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Well, I never thought I would use the word elegant and the word farm in the same sentence.
    Spectacular!

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Wow! great transformation! Your backsplash reminds me of the Pfalzgraff Sanibel dishes I was just looking at. The kitchen is gorgeous. Enjoy! It looks like it will be great for your family. I love your front door too. Fiberglass? Looks like wood to me. Enjoy!

• marrilyn
    11 years ago

I really like your floor! Is it a vinyl tile?

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Yours is, IMO, one of those cases where an island is a perfect solution. Traffic looks like it is SOO much better now that you aren't trapped in that U. And visually, without the hanging cabinets over it, everything opens up. Great improvement.
    I like the backsplash, too. And just about all of it. Thanks for sharing.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

What a huge transformation. It's beautiful. I love the way you worked in a china cabinet.

• willtv
    11 years ago

Hell, I'd have taken your before kitchen, but your new space is fantastic!
    What a great job!
    Especially the contrasting island with countertop, the backsplash and the fireplace.
    Enjoy.

• springroz
    11 years ago

Love the color of your cabinets! I bet they are really pretty in real life, with the grain. The island is really an improvement! Congratulations on the DW!!

A wonderful transformation!

Nancy

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Don't you love losing those cabs that were over the peninsula?! That plus the island makes this kitchen so much more "homey."

Just a couple of questions: how many kids of what ages do you have? I've never known anyone who has their own bike rack out front! And the second question is related: what have you done with said children? I saw one pair of muddy boots in a before picture and a couple of pairs of feet watching TV, but all the afters of the family and living rooms looks like they've never been touched by a child. Where are the Legos, the Transformers, the doll houses? Surely this didn't take so long that those bike riders grew up. I insist that you let them out of the closet immediately!

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

WOWEEE! What a vision you had and created. Congratulations on the transformation. it's just beautiful! Love the door too!!1

• momo7
    11 years ago

Wow, looks great! That was a fast transformation too.

Ahh, a dishwasher. I've been without one for almost a year. I'm sure it will be hard to contain my excitement when I have one again.

I'll bite - show me a cool what's in your drawer pic :-)

Enjoy!

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Great transformation! The wood is warm and a rich color and looks superb with the delicatus. The island is a perfect shape to hang out and visit. It looks so much BIGGER than the before photo. Love the lovely and practical hutch. Wow, you must have the most beautiful "farm" kitchen around. Congratulations and enjoy!:)

• kaysd
    11 years ago

What a great transformation. I really like the china cabinet and island in particular.

• cheeke
    11 years ago

Love the transformation. Can I ask - how long is your island? I have a big family and would need an island the size of yours.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Oh my my, you have catapulted a family heirloom into its next century! Absolutely beautiful, and spacious. Love the backsplash!

Congratulations!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! I love the cabs, especially the china cab, and the floor. The island is great. Congratulations!

• rosie
    11 years ago

Wonderful, Abctate. Your kitchen's super nice, but I particularly appreciate how you improved your entire home by also making a few, carefully chosen changes. Your new entry now lives up to that classy entry deck.

You'd better post the rest of those pictures. A lot of people who drop in here are probably going to be taking notes.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I love your kitchen, but I especially love the beverage frig and the bike rack!

• abctate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm not good at picturing how things will turn out so I was pleasantly surprised how it all came together. Its so scary!!!

Hubby welded us the bike rack a few years ago. It helps keep the mess at a minimum. :-)

The kiddos... we have all boys.. 17 years old and 10 year old twins. Believe me I've been thru the lego and toys everywhere stage. Our whole living room used to be "farmed" complete with taped off fields and all the little equipment. I guess now they know I'm a little OCD about all the new and they are trying to be good. They better be out working instead of making a mess anyway! Lol.

The island is 10'. We allowed a minimum of 14" of legroom and it is a little over 4' at the widest part of the radius.
    Family and friends were pretty hesitant over the different color island and granite before we did it, so im glad you guys approve.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! There's so much to love there--from the inviting front door to the counter space and the china cabinet. Every stitch of it is warm and lovely! Enjoy!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

That's a wow transformation! Love what you did with the entry on the exterior that looks wonderful. Beautiful in every way, great kitchen! Love your choices.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Wow...what a difference. The layout of your kitchen is the same as mine, even including the plug in the bookcase in the island! I really love the new door to the deck...very nice change out. Well done!

• enright5
    11 years ago

beautiful! You did an amazing job!!

• mom2sethc
    11 years ago

Hi!

Your kitchen looks great!!! I have to post a pic of my kitchen as we have similar elements! dark island, similar colored cabinets, similar flooring, similar backsplash!!

• Missy Benton
    11 years ago

It's beautiful!!!

• abctate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mom2sethc: Wow. Very similar! Love it! People thought we were crazy!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I'm really impressed. :)
    You did a great job. Isn't it funny how people have to be so matchy-matchy? When it shows to go ya' that a little contrast can make so many more features shine.

I love your blue tiles. They've got a lot of life to them.
    Enjoy!

• finestra
    11 years ago

Wow! Looks amazing. Great Job.

• abctate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I might have a obsession with organizing my spices...

I hated where I stored my pans before. They were always a mess and unorganized... I have 2 drawers like this. YEA!!! Mucho better!

Drinkie-poo? This was the one thing hubby and I disagreed on. He didn't think we needed the wine frig. I went with the beverage center instead to get him more on my side. Then purchased before he could say no.. LOL He just said last night that he liked it. SCORE one for momma!

Also was excited to have a dish drawer! No need for the pegs.

island plugs

• abctate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have now lived in our kitchen for almost 3 months. I think I love the organization more than anything. I love all of us being in the same area all the time. We have had company several times. A couple times we used the island as a table and sat 12! Exactly what we needed since we don't have a dining room or a separate table. Plug ins on the island are an absolute must. Still find myself turning on the disposal instead of the light though. Got to figure these switches all out.

Thanks again for all your help and advice!