Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this right, or not?

Posted by aklvdb (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 17:16

Is this trim kit installed properly, or should it be flush with the cabinet? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this right, or not?

Pretty sure it's supposed to be flush

o

Ok, I think so too. The carpenter made us the little cabinet, so I'm not sure where the problem happened.

o

Can you point out the issue? Everything looks fine to me.

o

You should be able to check the install directions online, might need to be like that though I have absolutely no idea.

o

You have an overlay panel on the face. Those are used so that the face lines up with the face of the door. It is a standard type of installation. The alternative is no overlay and then use wider rails and stiles since the opening is narrower. That is also a standard installation. So either way is correct.
Some micros have much sower trim kits in which case the overlay would always be preferable. I always prefer using the overlay (when I can get it) to get a clean line at the edge of the cabinet.
To me not having that plain even with the door looks cheap, perhaps because it is only with lesser brands that an overlay is not available.

Of course with custom it is possible to do a combination of the two- an overlay and them recess the micro trim but honestly that is overkill- I have never seen it done, would only arrange it by special request, would be an upcharge.

o

I assume you're asking about the microwave trim kit. It looks right to me. If you look up instructions, I'm sure you will see that it is made to attach that way.

o

Good idea with the instructions. Thanks.

o

Mine sticks out like yours and looks fine. I never really noticed but it seems correct to me.

o

Bowyer's is done without an overlay panel but since those are partial overlay doors that would be the preferred method.

o

I don't understand. Are you saying the metal trim and the MW are botth supposed to be set deeper in the cabinet for this door style?
Can someone post a picture showing the preferred way?
Thanks.

o

I was wondering if the metal trim should be flush with the cabinet. The carpenter said could be if he trimmed the cabinet. I'm also adverse to anything new :) so it takes me a while to get used to things.

I just looked up the installation instructions, and it does look right the way it is. I guess I didn't really look to see what I was getting, I just wanted a nice shallow microwave and that's the trim that goes with it! Thanks for all the help and advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here