Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammer136_gw

Help With Granite Choice

Hammer136
9 years ago

Just picked out cherry decora cabinets cherry stain, Now the task of picking out granite anyone have any recommendations, Floor is tan stone tile light and dark tan, What's your best idea, Thanks all Just added Pics

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 19:16

Comments (33)

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

My cabinets are a similar color and I chose giallo napoleon.
    The garnet chunks pick up the cherry color nicely.

For me it was a choice between that, st Cecelia and new venetian gold.

They are all similar and I think they would all look nice.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

Yellow River would look great.

• User
    9 years ago

It isn't really possible for us to advise you with specific granite names. It is impossible to recommend granites by name, because they vary hugely even when they have the same name. You need to go to a granite yard with a sample from your cabinet - bring a cabinet door with you if you have it, otherwise a sample from the cabinet showroom. Then, when you see a few granites you like at the stoneyard, you must bring samples of those granites home with you to see them in your kitchen. I guarantee they will look different in your kitchen than they did at the stoneyard.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

agree with Sahmmy, bring your cab door, paint color, floor sample if u have them with u on your granite search....
    this will help u tremendously....

its very hard to give names of granite since many yards use different names....seems like most people with cherry cabs use a dark granite...

good luck!!!

• countryatheart
    9 years ago

We have cherry cabinets with cinnamon stain paired with giallo ornamental counters. The GO also has small garnet bits that carry the cabinet color. Hopefully you have a large granite yard near you. The place we used allowed us to wander the yard looking without any sales pressure. I actually thought that was the most enjoyable part of the reno. There are such beautiful stones out there, it is fascinating to in person see what the earth has created.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I used Giallo Ornamental Light with a dark stained cherry vanity. It doesn't have the gold of GO, just cream and taupe and garnet bits. I'd avoid gold and black granites as they were overused in the 90s, and now it's refreshing to see cherry with a lighter granite.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

definitely go to some stoneyards as you will see granites you have never heard of. also granites vary so much in look that 2 of the same name will look completely different.
    we found our crema antartida at the third stoneyard we visited and i had never seen it before

• annac54
    9 years ago

Definitely take a cabinet sample or something close, and visit a stoneyard. It's usually a very interesting experience, and something I enjoyed very much.

When we went looking, I assumed we would get a brownish sort of granite, just wasn't sure which one. Big surprise when both my husband and I fell in love with seafoam green!

My next favorites were Costa Esmerelda (also a light green) and Typhoon Bordeaux (reddish/brown/gold on cream background with lots of movement) which my friend has. She has alder cabinets stained a cherry sort of color, and the granite looks lovely with them.

But you really should visit for yourself and see the slabs. The little samples just don't do the stone justice, and may look very different in a large area than you imagine from just a small sample. You may end up with something completely different than you had thought.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I agree with everyone else that you have to go to a stone yard with your samples, and then bring a few granite samples home to look at in your home. You will definitely go crazy if you just try to look for certain granite names that are suggested here. You can just search online for certain stone names and see what I am talking about. For example, the lovely Creme Antartida counter that Ardcp posted above looks a bit like Alaska White, which could sometimes be called Bianco Antico, which could sometimes be called Delicatus and so on. I also agree with Countryatheart's comment above that it is so fun and cool to go to several stoneyards, and see the gorgeous variety available.

This post was edited by akchicago on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 19:43

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your help with the granite. We visited a stone yard this weekend really liked Sienna Bordeaux. Does anyone on here have this granite in there kitchen.Pics would be a big help. I know that they do vary just would like to see if possible. Thanks.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

If you put sienna bordeaux into the search field, I think you will find quite a few posts and pictures. Good luck!

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello all, The options continue ive been to 4 stone yards im torn between typhoon bordeaux and typhoon bordeaux Gold. The gold really caught my eye .Does anyone have a cabinets with typhoon Bordeaux gold ? Pics would be a plus .Crunch time is near..

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

I really wasn't aware there was a TB vs a TB gold. To me the names are almost useless as I've seen slabs with the same name that looked vastly different between stone yards.

That said, I have tons of gold in my TB. We sought out slabs with the abundance of gold. We had to walk away from slabs that had the right look because they were not long enough to accommodate the 45 degree seam we wanted in the corner of our "L" When we did find the oversized slabs, we snapped them up. We took digital pictures of the slabs and printed out color copies at home. Using our counter and island measurements, we played around with the copies to see how the seams might look and where the different colors might end up. We were surprisingly accurate with our little mock ups when we did the actual template placement at the fabricator facility.

I don't think my pictures will do you any good because I have oak cabinets, not cherry. But the wine (hence bordeaux) markings in TB can be striking with cherry cabinets.

• Teehee1984
    9 years ago

Be sure to snap pictures of your cab in front of the slab and label them so you can look it over at home. I took pix and then pinned them on Pinterest so my friends could weigh in.

I really liked sienna Bordeaux, netuno Bordeaux, crema Bordeaux but settled on something called "coliseum"

It is hard; each lot of the same "name" is different.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Post the slab pics with your cabinet & we'll be glad to vote. We love voting on GW.

• User
    9 years ago

Hammere136 - did you get samples of the stones to bring home? They will definitely look different in your home than they do at the stoneyard, so it may make your decision easy just to see them in your home. There have been many threads on the Kitchens Forum that say something like "my granite, now that it's installed, doesn't look like I expected". Typically that's because the poster never saw the stone at home to see what it would look like there with the light, the windows, the walls, etc.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

There are plenty of pictures on the web of your choices. Just about anything goes with cherry cabinets. Just make sure whatever you chose also works with your floor tile. You won't want a busy floor or backsplash with the granites you're looking at.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Hi Sahmmy - if a person is picking out slabs at a stone yard, how can they get samples of those slabs? Just curious as I've seen others mention this sample thing, and not sure how that can work. So this is for my own education (and others too I guess) and not meant to challenge your statement!

I can probably understand if you are purchasing a fairly common granite with little variation within the stone and not picking out specific slabs. I've seen some of those samples and they are very generic.

But OP is considering TB family and that's really a granite with a lot of color variations. Not sure any one sample would be representative.

• avntgardnr
    9 years ago

We have a similar color scheme and I'm pretty sure we are going with Bordeaux river. If you scroll thru today's posts you can see a pic of my tile in "this tile with this granite?"
    Can't wait to hear what you choose!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bordeaux river

• ardcp
    9 years ago

phonelady- i was given samples at the stoneyards that i checked out but in my area the stoneyard and fabricator are the same place. these places had 2x2 squares of what probably was leftover from cutouts for me to take home. possibly not every place does this and i did have to ask for a piece to take home.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Hey ardcp......that makes sense. I didn't end up going with them, but one of the fabricators we were considering did have inventory slabs and I saw quite a few remnants in that shop. Thanks for your input.

• User
    9 years ago

Phonelady - the stoneyard we went to had some samples like what Ardcp mentioned, and, for a couple of the granites, the guy just took a hammer to a small corner of a slab, and knocked off a piece for us. The piece was small, but it still gave an idea of the stone to bring home.

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pics Coming

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is TB Gold

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is TB Gold

{{!gwi}}

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just posted a pic. What should I pick

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

I think either will work well. Early on you said the gold caught your eye. I too personally prefer more gold and if those sample photos are really true to life, that TB gold sample just seems more lively and less muted to me.

We can all offer opinions, but at the end of the day, you're the one who is going to be staring at it for hours on end. When I saw my TB slabs, I stopped looking. They stopped me in my tracks. I'm not saying a person needs a life altering moment to pick a stab of granite, but maybe neither of these is "the one".

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

I apologize in advance to anyone who is sick of seeing this photo I've posted on other threads, but I wanted OP to see my TB that has a lot of gold in it. It seems to be quite similar to one she has under consideration.

Maybe it will help her visualize it on her counters.

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still leaning towards TB Gold any thoughts

• Hammer136
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lets vote

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 21:52

• romy718
    9 years ago

I can see one pic of TB Gold with your cabinet door. The second post has no picture, just a small blue square.The 3rd post has what looks like is closeup of the 1st picture of TB gold.
    I don't think I'm seeing pictures of two different granites.

This post was edited by romy718 on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 22:25

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

Your cabinets looks just like mine in most every way. My granite went in today and I couldn't love it more. I went with typhoon Bordeaux. Of course one slab can very so much from the next. You have to love your slab.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Bump