Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berryberry_gw

Finished Backsplash - Bill V look out

berryberry
15 years ago

Finsihed my backsplash this weekend. Bill, look out I may give you some competition. LOL. Seriously, while it turned out fantastic, I have a lot of respect for the work you tile guys do. I installed the tile on one wall on Thursday, the other wall on Friday - probably about 5 hours each day. Sealed it with 511 Impregnator Friday evening and grouted on Saturday with Laticrete Marble Beige Sanded Grout and caulk. Put another coat of 511 Impregnator on this morning. Not sure how you pro's get it done so fast.

Anyway - thanks for all teh advice - here are some pics:

When I have a chance, I will post pics of the complete finished kitchen and more details for the FKB

Comments (36)

• larrylwill
    15 years ago

the pictures are not showing up.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Waaahhh, all I can see are red rectangles.

Jodi-

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm - showed up on my PC but when I used a different web browser they did not. Seems to be a problem with Snapfish pictures.

lets try this:

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

FIRE AND ICE!!!! On my short list for backsplashes... same as jodi in ca used. Looks absolutely stunnning!

Jodi... didn't you change out one of the glass insert colors for something else?

• deedee-2008
    15 years ago

Gorgeous....love the rest of the kitchen, too...especially the faucet.

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks

Yes - the tile is Jeffrey Court's Fire and Ice. Jodi's backsplash was my inspiration. Was initially going to go with Fallingwater slate but changed to Fire and Ice based on Jodi's pics making me look at this tile.

And I followed Jodi's lead in changing out some off the glass inserts to a darker shade. Purchased a couple sheets of #39 Burnt Umber glass tiles from Morena Tile (had them ship it to me) and switched out some of the clear / light amber glass for the darker Burnt Umber to tie in with the cabinets.

Also, instead of white thinset - I used grey - which gave a slight grey undertone to the clear glass a little (tested a few samples first and liked it)

• houseful
    15 years ago

Very, very pretty! You did a fantastic job! I've done a bit of tile work and it's so rewarding, isn't it? I'll bet you are already thinking of other things you could tile, LOL!

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Wow, looks great!

That is a lot more tile than what we have. And you installed it yourself? I'm truly impressed!

Gray thinset ... that explains it! My husband and I were looking at your photos and he commented how yours looked grayer than ours. I'll have to go tell him why.

Though once I compared ours with yours it really doesn't look all that warmer.

Jodi-

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Did either of you guys use an enhancer/sealer? I truly do love love love that tile.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

No enhancer on ours, just sealer.

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Houseful - yes, it was fun doing the tile and I have caught myself a few times standing and admiring my work - but not sure I want to do a lot more.

Jodi - thanks. Yes, the install went well. I was pleased with how my $49 Tile Saw from Harbor Freight cut the tile so well. And thanks to this forum and Bill V, I had lots of tips / instructions to follow that made it easy. As to the pics - it also could be the lighting or grout shade that is making a difference. I do know the clear glass and light amber glass do show a little darker with grey thinset vs white (from my test) but thats the only place where there really is any difference you could see

Remodelfla - no enhancer - I just put on 2 coats of Miracle 511 Impregnator sealer - one before grouting, one after grouting

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

This might be a dumb question... but is there any concern about the Miracle 511 getting on the glass? do you have to be careful, tape it off, not care?

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

About 5 minutes after I applied Miracle 511 - I had my daughter wipe each glass square with a clean cloth to remove any of the sealer on the glass

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Wow! That coordinates so beautifully with the cabs, faucets, hardware! I really like slate and the darker glass inserts are a very, very nice touch. Does this mean that you are done?

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Very nice work. :-) Wanna job? :-)

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Now that's a compliment coming from Bill - I've seen pics of his work. But, it is much deserved! You must have a lot of patience; I would have quit probably after the 2nd row. What a wonderful job - kitchen and backsplash!

Jodi - how do you like your faucet? It looks like mine!! I'm really having 2nd thoughts about it but not sure why. It does look great in my kitchen, but I'm seriously thinking about switching it out. It looks great in your kitchen though. After looking at that backsplash - both of them, I may have to check it out to go with my crema bordeau. I have a vision of what I want and those colors are perfect.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Gneegirl. I do not like the faucet. It's too high (I'm 5'1") and for some reason the water pressure is not the same as our previous faucet.

BerryBerry, I keep going back and looking at all that tile you installed. Pretty incredible for someone who doesn't do that for a living.

Fire and Ice really is a versa"tile" isn't it? ... It goes great with your granite, your dark cabs, your white cabs and yes, even your faucet. I hope you are extremely please with yourself.

Jodi-

• gozalyn
    15 years ago

berryberry - your backsplash looks awesome! I have hope that I can DIY the backsplash as well. Any lessons learned that you can share?

It'll be at least 2 weeks before I can even start. I'm waiting for my countertops at this point. I think I'm going to try and seal the backsplash, so we'll see how that looks. Thanks for the info regarding the color of your grout. I'm can't decide what color to get because I don't know how the stone will look once it's sealed and enhanced.

Quick question - I also have a curved light rail. How did you deal with that connection near your stove? I'm not looking forward to that.

• muscat
    15 years ago

Nice job and nice tile! I agree with you- tiling my own kitchen was a great experience, but certainly made me respect those that do it professionally and WELL.

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone - hope I don't miss answering any questions / comments:

Bluekit - thanks - yes, I really like ho wthe tile fit well with everything and yes, this means we are done. I hope to post a full write-up / pics later this week

Bill - Thanks, I appreciate it although couldn't have done it without your advice.

Gneegirl - thanks - yes, two things I have learned with various DIY projects over the years. patience and the right tools are important

Jodi - Thanks. Yes, I agree with you on the versatility of this tile. That shade variations in the tile really help it blend well with a lot of different colors

Gozalyn - thanks. Lessons I learned. First, take your time and follow the instructions Bill V has laid out. Second, use the right tools. I purchased an inexpensive 7" wet saw from Harbor Freight for $49 (including the blade). It cut like a champ and was easy to use. I also mentioned on another thread - get the couple dolor 'perfect bead" caulk tool. When you caulk between the tile and the granite or cabinets, use this tool to give you a great lookings caulk line. Third, lay out the tile (at least a row at a time) on a table / island and make sure it fits well and elements match up like you want them to (for instance, I didn't want 2 glass squares right next to each other in the same row). Fourth, a paint mixing attachement that attaches to a drill helps a lot when mixing your thinset and grout. Fifth, I was worried initially about measuring precisely when mixing the lightweight thinset and grout - but after starting using it found I probably went to light on the liquid and added more till the consistency just felt and looked right. Finally, seal the stone before you grout - it will help a lot with releasing the grout from the stone face.

On the curved light rail - what I started to do was try to cut a slight curve with the wet saw. That was futile. So I ened up just cutting a diaganol straight line (like a 45 degree angle) to account for the curved light rail and then filled in with grout. It looks very good. And if you make sure the tile piece that goes next to the light rail is very similiar in color to your grout (like I did on one side), it will blend in even more

muscat - thanks

• ksoxgrl
    15 years ago

absolutely in LOVE with your backsplash, berry & jodi, i've seen admiring this tile for several months since beginning a minor kitchen reno and it's my favorite since seeing it in jodi's kitchen. one question, do either of you, or anyone else, know of any online sites that sell it? price per square foot here in MA is $17.95. Just curious where you purchased through and if it was a better price. thanks :)

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I love your tile! Well I love the whole kitchen. Great Mates too!

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks

ksoxgrl - no, I couldn't find anyplace online that carried the tile. Bought it locally for something like $17.10/sq ft plus shipping. Shipping was expensive

• gozalyn
    15 years ago

I think they make the Fire & Ice tiles out of Southern California. I bought my Fire & Ice for $13.65/sq ft from the Coliseum Tile and Stone in Oakland, CA. They didn't charge us shipping. We picked it up at the store.

• Kathryn Bunn
    13 years ago

Your backsplash looks fantastic.

I know it's been 2 years since you tiled. How is it holding up? Are you able to make a "grocery list" of the supplies used?

-Tile
    -Grout (sand or unsanded?)
    -Tile saw
    -Thinset, what specific brand and such?
    -Spacers, what size?
    -Trowel
    -Miracle 511 Impregnator
    -Caulk
    -Dolor 'perfect bead' caulk tool

Am I missing anything?

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Berry, yours was one of the first kitchens I clipped way back when I became addicted to GW :-). I always thought you did such a great job with your space. The backsplash looks great!

Congrats!
    Eliz

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

berry...That looks so gooooood......I love your choices of granite, cabs, and faucet. Love it, Love it, Love it!

jodi..I can see why yours was the inspiration. I really like the cubby behind your stove. Very cool and functional too!

KA:)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

OMG

Berryberry, You did that yourself? Not hired out?
    Knock down gorgeous work. Dazzling!!!!

I wish I had that kind of talent.
    ~boxer

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Beautiful job! Very impressive. Love the colors. What type of granite did you use?

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

That looks great! I'm impressed.

I like your granite too - what kind is it?

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Great job! And the PERFECT choice with your granite and cabs. I like the inclusion of the deeper colored pieces. Congratulations! You have every right to stare and admire your work. :-)

• momand3boys
    13 years ago

Love the fire and ice. Saw it on Jodi's and brought the picture of it to the KD and said I want this kitchen! You did a great job on it! I'm too afraid to DIY it. Congrats!

• jeri
    13 years ago

Great job! I too like this fire and ice very much. It will not go with our kitchen though, so what to you guys think of my using it for the fireplace?

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Congrats! It looks fantastic! Everything just looks like it's made to go together.

• starpooh
    13 years ago

berryberry ~ looking forward to your details for the FKB!

jodi_in_so_calif ~ just a friendly reminder to get your kitchen in the FKB soon. :-)

• kks_kitchen
    13 years ago

This is the most recent thread I have found. Hope I am posting correctly. I am a newbie here. My Fire & Ice arrived today. I hung a couple of squares on the wall. The right side enhanced with only water & the left one without. I ordered some black (cocoon) tiles from Cool Tiles and illusion brown ones from Modern Tile Studio to try out to replace the dreadful peach color that clashes with my tile floor. Please disregard the mess and the mismatched vases in the pic. My cabinet doors have temporarily been removed for color and glass inserts. I guess I am looking for some feedback. My cabinets are cabernet, hardware is pewter, countertops are black pearl granite and floor is ceramic with gray and pink tones. I hope to list pics later when project is complete. I hope to hear from Jodi So Cal, BerryBerry and others who have use Jeffery Court Fire & Ice for their kitchens. I have viewed many. All look great. I know Jodi's kitchen started the buzz but all I have seen pics of look fantastic. Congrats to all of you.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH