Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

Should I get a 2nd oven if I own a Chambers range?

kathec
13 years ago

Chambers owners, do you have a 2nd oven? If not would you want one if you could?

DH planted the seed in my mind while browsing a big box store the other day. My plan is to use the range oven as the primary oven. The range oven is on the smallish side. I know there's the Thermowell too, but as of now, I don't own the Thermowell baker yet. I do occassionally bake, but I do use the oven almost daily.

The old kitchen was so bad/disfunctional that we almost never invited friends over in the 2 years we've lived here. However, with a newly remodeled kitchen, we will likely start having people over. He thinks we might need to have a small secondary oven.

I did have double ovens in one of my previous houses. We only used the 2nd oven a couple of times in 3 years. BUT, my 3 kids were babies, either nursing or still small eaters. They've obviously grown, so even now our daily meals are larger. Also, we live near family now, which we didn't before.

So, I see his point. What would you do? My kitchen is small, roughly 10'6" by 13'6". The small oven I'd consider is a 24" wide model.

Or for experienced Chambers owners, with the main oven, top broiler and Thermowell, will I even need one?

Thanks for entertaining my TKO questions!

Kathe

Comments (4)

• farmhousebound
    13 years ago

Which model do you have (no fair you didn't post a picture of your chambers, there are a few of us on here who love pictures of old chambers!)? I have a Chambers C with the double ovens and even though I don't use it alot, it is nice to have both. Where would you put the second oven? Do you have space?

Just a suggestion, I remember when I was growing up my grandmother had a second oven out in the garage along with her washing machine and dryer. She used it all the time, especially in the summer when it was really hot in order to avoid heating the house up. My DH has talked about putting the old oven that was in the house before the remodel in the garage just for this reason.

• bayareafrancy
    13 years ago

Oven in the garage: what a great summer idea!

I have a 1955 O'Keefe and Merritt with a single oven. Oh how I wish, wish, wish I would have pressured TheHusband to pay more for the double oven version. I need that second oven about once a week.

How often do you find yourself glaring at your gorgeous range and thinking, "I'd love you more if you had 2 ovens." If several times a month, then you probably will always regret not having one.

And are those kids old enough to need platters of cupcakes/cookies for school functions? Boy, that's when I really need that second oven!!

:-)

francy

• kathec
    Original Author
    13 years ago

farmhousebound - I'll post a picture. I've got the 90C with the high backsplash in yellow, like Rachael Ray, if you watch her show. My range is not in service yet. I'm currently refurbishing it. As for where to put that 2nd oven, I have plans for 2 pantry cabinets flanking my refrigerator. The first/main cabinet is 30", the 2nd is 24" wide. I was thinking if I went this route I'd go with either an IKEA Mumsig 24" oven or Fagor 24" oven. The Fagor is about $200 more. They're both basically a 24" cube, so I don't think I'd be losing much in terms of storage. Interesting concept of putting an oven in the garage, I'm not sure if I'd have room in mine. Ours doubles as "the shop" with a huge table saw, dust collector, and whatnot.

francy: my kids are just entering that stage. My oldest will be in 3rd grade, the middle in 1st, and the youngest starts Kindergarten. I haven't been involved in school as much as I've always had little ones at home, but next year, I'm antipating doing more since they'll all be there.

Kathe

• farmhousebound
    13 years ago

She is going to be beautiful once you have her all spiffed up--I love that creamy shade of yellow. Mine does not have the thermawell but does have the griddle/broiler and 6 burners, along w/ the two ovens. I don't think I've seen one like yours before--what is the smaller door to the right?