Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Awkward or creative vent hood placement solution? NYC kitchen

Posted by dazedandconfused (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 17:07

I was browsing Houzz and came across this picture of a catty cornered range and vent hood. It made me pause and scratch my head. Lol

What do you think of the vent hood position?

FLOWERS RESIDENCE by Minch Construction on Houzz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Awkward or creative vent hood placement solution? NYC kitchen

Hmmm ... awkward, but evidently not Minch Construction's first choice. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: houzz

o

Oh my, that looks awful. Surely there was a better solution than that.

o

awful

o

And I thought I had zero design taste:)

o

I actually saw this picture on Houzz this morning and thought about posting it here on a lark.
Sorry, if you were hoping for the contrary. I think it is very awful.

o

It looks like a backhoe left behind from demolition LOL!

o

Mama-The construction company was probably cringing while installing the hood, but I wonder why they chose to include this picture on Houzz. I wonder why the clients couldn't be swayed to change the design... Also, I wonder if the clients worked with a kitchen designer to configure cabinet / appliance placements.

Local- No, I agree with you. They could have build cabinets around hood to cover the ductwork if they had to put the range and hood in the corner. It looks like an afterthough, doesn't it? Like it was just stuck up there. Almost like the cabinets were existing and they retrofitted the hood without wanting to remove or modify anything.

They could have eliminated those three small and out of reach cabinets and installed a island type hood instead.

Another question- does anyone know what the three slits in the backsplash under the window are ? Heating, maybe ?

Bpa- lol@ backhoe! It's true, that's what it looks like!

o

Geesh that is downright awful!

o

I was wondering about those slits under the window, too.

I noticed that the builder has 12 projects uploaded to HOUZZ, and has 5-star reviews. Surely he was waiting for someone to ask, "What's up with the hood?"

o

Hey, whatever works, right?

o

There are some solutions. An under counter oven and induction cooktop. 21-22" deep with pop up ventilation in the space behind.. A lot less is necessary. No change to the cabs overhead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here