Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annz3

wrong counter edge for my farmhouse sink

annz3
9 years ago

I am updating my kitchen, new counters, sink, painting the cabinets. I ordered a farmhouse sink and White Springs granite. When I went for the final sign off I told the salesclerk I wanted the Dupont edge only on the counter edge. Not the window sill and NOT the inside edge around the farmhouse sink. I didn't think I had to say that but was being safe. I then took her to a slab that was cut for another customer and pointed out the plain edge around the farmhouse sink--I said I want the inside edge like this. OK, she agreed. She did not write this on the final contract. She had overcharged me ($150 for the "free" sink and $200 for the Dupont edge on the window sill) she took those items off. They came with the counter very late on a Fri afternoon and this is what I got--the Dupont edge around the inside of the sink :( The company has offered me $500 off or they will "rip it out and not sell me another counter." The sales clerk says I never mentioned it to her. I think it looks too fancy for what I was trying to do--what do you all think? Thanks for any and all input :) My first attempt at posting--a little trouble here.

Comments (19)

• vpierce
    9 years ago

I'd take the $500.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Can you post a picture from further back?

Like Vicki, I'd be inclined to take the $500. While it's not what you wanted, the edge does look pretty good with your sink.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'd also take the $500. I think it looks very nice. It would never occur to me that the edge looks out of place. How would they do the transition from that edge to an eased edge anyway?

This post was edited by linelle on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 17:27

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I have to say, as anal as I am, that this has turned out to be a happy accident, really. At least it's pretty and well done.

Take the money, run, and do something fantastic for yourself.

And sign up for Angie's list and mention your experience and offers....

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

And sign up for Angie's list and mention your experience and offers....

While she's at it, mention that she didn't get it in writing....

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I would take the money because 1) it doesn't look bad, 2) you apparently signed the contract without the edge being indicated on it.

As asked can you post another photo, back further?

• annz3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know. I should have read the contract. It was a bad afternoon. My husband is diabetic and was having a problem and needed to get going. The place is 40 miles from us. I *did* find the 2 errors in the original contract. Also the ownder was good enough to tell me when he called me that they also over charged me on the original contract by over $800! He said they figured wrong. In the 3 weeks it has been here I have grown used to it. My kitchen contractor says they would do an "eased edge" usually as a matter of course. I think I am more asking now--how do you think it looks?

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I like it and I'm a basic edge kind of person : )

• annz3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the seam. Just to show...no complaints.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I'd take da money. That's a very pretty edge, I like it a lot. It's not common, everyday, run of the mill edge.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

If I didn't know better, I would think the picture was posted as a triumphant reveal and not to indicate any specific problem. We all have a story where we are kicking ourselves about a self inflicted "oops" that didn't turn out anywhere near as well as this one. I hope your husband is doing better. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• Susan
    9 years ago

I think it's very pretty and if you are getting back the 800 plus the 500 hundred I'd consider it a BIG WIN!!!

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I like it, ...and I'm trying to envision how a transition from the Dupont edge to the inside sink edge would take place at those outside corners?
    Personally, I think this looks better than some odd change at those corners.

• annz3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read, look and comment. I'm feeling better about my fancy edge!

• Fori
    9 years ago

The fancy edge will be less likely to chip I bet.

I could sure learn to live with it.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Take the 5 Benjis and keep it the way it is, I think it looks cool. It's different and the Dupont edge is awesome.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i would say you got lucky! you got the upgraded edge for free (looks great btw) and they are giving you $500?! and your seam is awesome!
    my fabricator undermounted my sink without asking and then tried to charge me for the cut out. they "waived" the cut out fee but no extra recompense was offered. they also cut a piece too short and when they replaced it, i realized that one counter has a 3/4" overhang and the other has a 1" overhang:(
    i would say you should not mess with it and happily spend the money!

• voila
    9 years ago

Good lord, it's beautiful! And they are paying you for it? Can you imagine the corners with the change of edge? Me neither. You have an amazing fabricator, and an astute businessman.

• psbjmb
    9 years ago

I agree with everyone else - it looks very beautiful. It sounds like they are being quite reasonable - it wasn't in the contract, but they are still willing to accept some responsibility for it not being exactly what you wanted.

I love the view over your sink - I love walls of windows!

Patty