Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorado_mom

Backsplash Pencil Rail ? with pics

colorado_mom
12 years ago

Hi Everyone again! Thank you to those who tried to help me with this question before - but now with the pics, I think it will help illustrate my concern. The pics are a display, and I am looking at the one in the center.

I want to do a backsplash with a 3x6 tile (crema marfil,but smaller than shown) next to counter, a pencil rail then about 6 rows of this glass mosaic framed by another pencil rail, then continue with the beige subways to the top. My concern is where the pencil rail wll run into the outlets. I can't move the outlets, but the profile of the rail will stick out slightly.

I don't think it is a huge deal, but we thought about shaving it down to a 45 degree (or so) angle at the end of the rail so it is a more gradual transition.

Any thoughts? Am I making any sense?

Comments (29)

• advanced
    12 years ago

colorado_mom,

IMO it looks a little too busy. I am still not clear about your description and question. Are you having both styles of the mosaic tile or just the ones above the 3 x 6 tile and is this in a small area or all around a perimeter?

• colorado_mom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry - it is just one mosaic - I took the bottom pic with the other sample to show how the profile of the pencil edge comes forward. It would just be the one in the top middle, but a smaller (not as tall) section of the glass mosaic, framed by a pencil rail on top and bottom.

I like this glass, but I agree it is a bit busy, so I was thinking of using it more as an accent.

• geokid
    12 years ago

I think what you're saying is that, within your overall backsplash, you are going to have a narrow band of glass tile bordered on the top and the bottom with pencil rail. And the pencil rail will run into your outlets and you are trying to avoid an abrupt end to the pencil rail. Is that correct? If so, I woul suggest moving the glass tile band either up or down so that the pencil rail no longer runs into your outlets. Would that work? It seems like I'm missing something because the solution is never that easy. :)

• function_first
    12 years ago

I also think you should think about changing to avoid the outlets, it's the nature of the pencil rails to make your eyes run horizontally around the room ( or across the backsplash) and besides sticking out at the outlets it is also going to make your eyes abruptly stop at those points. If this is a design element you're set on, I'd design it so that you don't have those jarring stops.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I can't move the outlets,

Why not?

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Not to split hairs, but I believe the rail you're considering is actually a bullnose, not a pencil. :-) (Pencil would be a flat tile just like the field tile but skinny.)
    As such, have you looked into whether the tile line in question makes a bullnose end piece (called a nose piece)? It would be a tad more expensive, but you could end and begin the rail around outlets that way.

It's generally a better idea to move the outlets so that they are placed against flat field tile; that way you avoid the hassle and code issues of having an outlet against something bumpy (there are rules about how much leeway you are allowed around the outlet cover itself - technically it should all rest flat on a surface with no gaps). Plus it would be aesthetically preferable.

It's a lot easier to have outlets moved than most folks believe - check into where else they could sit in your scheme, higher or lower. I moved mine lower towards the counter and am very glad I did, they get hidden by appliances and it's a nice clean look.

• rosie
    12 years ago

Also definitely no to the visual effect of having your very nice design crash to a stop at each outlet. Besides damaging that effect, it leads the eye directly to the outlets themselves, something you want only if you intend they be the focus.

I'm with Marcolo, tho. Moving the outlets seems the obvious...move here.

• rmaxharrj
    12 years ago

What about not using the bullnose/pencil rail, just abutting the glass to the 3x6, and ending with a rail on the top? I think it would look just fine and would avoid the outlet crashing issue mentioned above.

Also, how high off the counter are your outlets? Knowing that may help generate other suggestions on how to reconfigure the backsplash so that the outlets are not an issue.

• rmaxharrj
    12 years ago

I just reread your plan and can see that my previous idea is dumb. I would probably abandon both rails and just float the glass band between the subways at a height you find pleasing. And if you have a portion of the backsplash on a wall with no upper cabinets, you could top it with the rail for a finishing touch.

• colorado_mom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank everyone for the responses! I kept telling my hubby - let's wait to see what the "forum people" say- too funny!

Yes geokid - that is exactly what I wanted to do. But as Kris ma said, I see now that abruptly ending at the outlets would be visually problematic. Moving the outlets would be getting the electrician back, and drywall which I think is more than we want to do. We are at the end, and just are pretty spent (budget wise too!). I need to write a post about our kitchen which is now known as the "Murphy's Law" kitchen by all the sub's.

I think the suggestion of abadoning the bullnose rail and/or abadoning the glass tile may be the answer.

• annettacm
    12 years ago

actually, it IS called a pencil liner or pencil rail, not a bullnose rail, at least for the products we sell (Florida Tile, DalTile, etc). Bullnose is the flat tile that accompanies field tile at the end of a run, with one end curved. I'm sure that different manufacturers call it something different, so pay attention when ordering. 1 x 12 (1/2 x 12, 1/2 x 6, etc) are usually pencil liners/rails, 3 x 12 or 3x6) is usually bullnose (flat) tile.

• mythreesonsnc
    12 years ago

Hi Colorado_mom, I saw your post and was excited because my crema marfil 3x6 backsplash was just completed yesterday! I really really like it. It is on a very small area in my space, but the colors are so pretty! I think your glass colors will be great with the tile. I am with the others about drawing a "line" to your problem outlet area. Could you post your space so we can see the spacing you are talking about.

Here are 2 pics: The first one is closer up of the backsplash.

The second is a pic from farther away:

I think a big decision about the glass accents and borders is whether you want it to be the focal point, or if you want it to blend and other accents will be key. For my space, I really wanted it to just blend, but maybe this is a big focal point in your space. The color combo is beautiful! Can't wait to see pics!

• annettacm
    12 years ago

Not to be confused with a chair rail, which is at the top of her mockup board in her picture :)

• colorado_mom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW - mythreesonsnc - that is gorgeous! That is the look I am after - exactly - then I saw this glass, and thought - well, maybe just a little of it. I like the bubble look in some of the glass tile you can see in the original pics at the top of the thread.

Also - moving the outlet won't solve the problem as the switches are right next to them!

Here is a few pics to help, but the colors are really washed out in these pics. Cab's are ivory, dark Santa Cecilia granite, and the 3 x 6 creama marfil tiles are pictured also. The entire board of glass is pictured, but again, I was hoping for just a small accent run of it.

OH- and ignore the paint. It is BM Lenox Tan - a sure bet that looks awful green on my wall - another problem I need to address.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Well, the switches could easily move, too. It's not a big deal.

In any case, you could run the glass higher and let the accent band die into the window frame. Or use it behind the range.

• geokid
    12 years ago

I guess I wasn't clear in my suggestion. I was thinking of moving the accent band and pencil rails either completely above or completely below the outlets. I realize my suggestion of moving the accent band below the outlets won't work, but you could move it above them (and like Marcolo suggested too).

• colorado_mom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again everyone. I think I am going to go with just the 3 x 6 creama marfil and I'll get my little pencil rail after the first row. I have always liked Marcy96's backsplash and love mythreesonsnc's as well.

BTW - mythreesonsnc - what is your paint color?

Here is Marcy9's backsplash:

{{!gwi}}

• mythreesonsnc
    12 years ago

Love the pencil rail plan! Think it will be great in your space, love it in Marcy's!

My paint color in the kitchen wall is Benjamin Moore Greenbrier Beige and the trim, and cabinets are Benjamin Moore Manchester Tan.

Post pics when you are done!

• provolone
    12 years ago

Love the back splash. Also love your countertops, colorado mom. What granite is that? Thanks for all the great ideas!

• colorado_mom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks mythreesonsnc - I need to try a different beige on my walls :( I will good look at Greenbrier Beige. I am so impressed when people have their cab's made and custom painted. Your cab's are in BM Manchester Tan-correct? They are so gorgeous!

provolone - the large pic just two above is sadly not my own kitchen, just one I have been stalking for over a year. Her granite is Nambien Gold - not sure I have the spelling correct. It is a higher price point than mine. I chose Santa Cecilia but was lucky to find a slab to my liking after a long search. It is a little darker and richer (IMHO) and has less compacted horizontal black veining than a lot of Santa Cecilia slabs I saw. I really like it!

• marcy96
    12 years ago

Hey colorado mom! I happened to read your post and then saw the pic of my kitchen. I'm so flattered that you've been stalking my kitchen! Your kitchen looks great so far - I love your choices :) Personally, I think just the plain pencil rail looks best with the business of the granite. I used a little bling over my range, with gold quartz 1 x1's. They might also match your granite as it's the same color family as mine. Can't wait to see it all finished!
    Click on my photo to get to my album.
    {{!gwi}}

• colorado_mom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OH MY Marcy96 - how funny you saw this thread - low and behold with your beautiful kitchen in it! Amazing! I saw your gorgeous Nambian Gold granite when I was searching - it is so incredible in person!

Another funny thing is that I showed the pic of your backsplash already to the granite guy when I told him I wanted granite on my window sill! And you can bet I will want to staple the picture to the tile guy's forehead :) Well, then I guess he wouldn't be able to see it, would he? :)

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Marcy, that's a cool hood -- is it round? Wait; if that's hijacking the thread don't answer; I'm pretty sure it is and it's nifty. I don't think I've seen one like that before.

• raehelen
    12 years ago

Just found this thread while trying to find a solution to our backsplash problem. Still haven't found one, but just had to comment. We also were going to do something very similar to your original idea with the marble pencil rails, and glass tiles. We are using 4 X 12 field tiles, 2 high, then were going to do a marble pencil rail- 5 rows of the glass tiles, another pencil rail, and one more 4X12 field tile.

I was heading out of town for the weekend, leaving hubby with the tiling job, and got a phone call while on the ferry that there was a problem...turns out pencil rails were going to intersect the outlets...long story short, we decided to forgo using the rails- had to take them back and lose 25% restocking fee (grrr), but I think I actually like it better now without the pencil rail, we upped the glass tiles to 7 rows, and it looks great IMHO.

My question which I will post separately is what to do at the two edges where the tiles end on the wall- looks like our manufacturer doesn't make the bull-nose tiles (which I had asked hubby to look into but he never did, and now that we have started, they are closed till Monday (long weekend here in Canada). Have done a search with no successful results (this was one of them...)

Personally, I'm a little annoyed with tile place not asking these questions when we were there planning and choosing the tiles in the first place, but as with so much else in this never-ending reno, we ARE learning!

• marcy96
    12 years ago

Hey colorodo mom! Hope you are enjoying your weekend. You mentioned trouble with paint colors. Try the paint I used - BM Oat Straw. It's doesn't have green or gold in it and may work with your colors. Have you decided on a backsplash yet?

• marcy96
    12 years ago

Hi aliris, my hood is rounded in the front. It's a Zephyr Savona hood.

• colorado_mom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Raehelen - so glad you found a solution. I would love to see a picture. I posted more of my woes in a thread titled "Can't get past the glass", but I do think we are going to give up on the glass :( Our granite is rather busy.

HI MARCY!!! OK -I think I YET AGAIN posted your kitchen in the above mentioned thread. My hold up is that the crema marfil tile we purchased didn't match my sample, and we are now trying to figure out how to enhance it without darkening the grout. We have a great sample board going, but as of yet - no tile up in the kitchen! I never thought it would be the backsplash that would be giving me so much heartache!

• lithigin
    12 years ago

I skipped the last half of the replies, but FWIW, I see no problem with deadending your pencil/bullnose pieces into your outlets. I mean, most people have outlets in your backsplash, and people who choose beautiful glass tile accent row deadend into outlets. No big deal. As far as your original question, I think your 45 degree angle solution sounds pretty great. It would be okay without it, but that is a great solution. Good luck on your decision!

• marcy96
    12 years ago

Check out Marybeth's kitchen. She has the pencil rail with mosaics that I think you are trying to do.
    http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn109/mbstoffregen/?action=view&current=d453cc26.pbw

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living