Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linste22

Your thoughts on our kitchen mock up?

linste22
9 years ago

I'm turning to you all because I know how in-the-know you are about kitchens and hoped you would bring up any concerns about what you see in our mock up pics. For the most part this is it and we're happy (appliances/ sink are staying put) but there are just some details here that have me wondering if they can't be better done. We do have some odd bump outs to work around in this old house due to pipes etc and we have a modest budget.

There are two views of one of the walls because I had asked them to place an upper cab on an adjacent wall (as it is now (rather than the normal way) to give me more width for food storage. The cab is actually narrower in their plan than it is currently.

Thanks for any thoughts.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/linste/library/Kitchen

Comments (15)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I hope you don't mind that I posted your photos directly. Many people don't like following links and this should help you get more responses. If you want me to remove them just let me know and I will.

• linste22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, thank you! I had originally tried to post them that way but failed miserably :)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Photobucket is easy. Just be on the photo you want, click on the icon that looks like a chain link. Choose the third one down, (says for blogs, etc), if you click on it, it will say copied, then paste it into your post. This way you can post as many photos as you want.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

We have a similar layout. I love your materials and finishes! I'm definitely not an expert but I'm not sure you have adequate counter space on either side of your range.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

You have a challenging space.
    My question is, where do the 3 doorways lead? For me, it would make a difference as to where I'd recommend the range go.
    I agree that it is really going to be cramped behind, and sharing the wall with, the fridge.

• linste22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Juddgirl2 and Kirkhall it certainly is a bit tight though I've been cooking with this set up for 14 years so I'm very accustomed to it.

The door to the left of the fridge is to a small bathroom. The door inbetween the 2 counters leads to our backyard. The 3rd door- sort of to the right of the oven leads to our dining room.

The fridge is sitting in a spot that is 7 inches deeper than where the oven is, so it helps them to line up for what it's worth.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

I'm not an expert and rarely comment on layout questions, but I do not like the sideways upper cabinet by the door to the backyard. I would either do a narrow one on either side of the window, or nothing. I would also change that middle bottom cabinet to drawers. I'm not terribly old but I was SO OVER getting down on my hands and knees and digging around in the bottom of cabinets! My only cabinet now, is the sink cabinet! The rest (not that there are many) are drawers.

I like the rest of the stuff you've chosen.

• linste22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MGMum, thanks for your thoughts. The cab under the window has pot and pan pull outs. As for that weird cabinet, I know... I'm just looking for a place big enough to store food. Right now I have to keep the overflow in our cellar and it's not fun.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

So, how wedded to your layout are you? You really need better workspace - especially around the range. I know, you're used to it - but we humans are very adaptable - we can get used to/make do with almost anything when we have no choice.

When remodeling, you do have a choice. Why spend money on a layout that you have to "make do" with? Why not make it better?

Here's one idea that attempts to pull the Prep & Cooking Zones together and to give you more space where you really need it.

You want more pantry storage, so it includes two pantries - a 24"Wx27"D pullout pantry and a 36"Wx15"D set of pantry shelves.

It has s Snack Center that includes the MW - near the refrigerator, near a water source, and not too far from the Prep & Cooking Zones but on the periphery so someone getting a snack won't get in the way of those working in the kitchen (prepping, cooking, or cleaning up). The counter in the Snack Center also functions as temporary landing space for the refrigerator.

The sink acts as a divider b/w the primary Prep Zone (to the left of the sink) and the Cleanup Zone (to the right of the sink). Of course, both sides of the sink can be used for prep (assuming there are no dirty dishes sitting out.)

In addition, the Cooking Zone is now near the primary Prep Zone - the two work zones that it is best to have adjacent to each other or close by each other.

Note that most of the counters are 3" deeper than normal - 3" can make a difference in workspace! The base cabinets are either 3" deeper than standard (27" deep vs 24") or are standard depth but pulled out 3" from the wall. The upper cabinets are also 3" deeper than standard (15" vs 12"). The only exception is the Snack Center - the cabinets are standard depth, as is the counter (25.5").

With a Zone Map:

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I really like Buehl's plan and hope you consider it. You are spending a lot of money on cabinets, counter, tile, etc. and it is worth it to consider changing the layout to something functional.

Moving appliances, plumbing, electrical, etc. doesn't have to be expensive so don't discount it without actually checking it out! DIY at all? have friends or family that are? If not get a least 3 estimates. Too many assume that these changes are too expensive. You mention a basement and that makes it so much easier.

• linste22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Buehl, thanks for your rendition. Lots of food for thought I'll run past my husband. The sink wall has some enclosed pipes that would throw a wrench in there, but it helps to see my kitchen through different eyes.

• annac54
    9 years ago

Any way to put in access to the bathroom from somewhere else and close up that doorway? That would give you some more options.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Your floor plan did not include the pipes - how far do they stick out from the window wall? Are they on the window wall itself or are they on the wall to the left of the sink or the wall to the right of the sink?

If on the left or right walls, then you could reduce the far left cabinets or pantry on the right by the amount they stick out.

If the pipes are on the window wall itself and you cannot move them, then there's a good chance this plan can accommodate the pipes. Since the cabinets are 3" deeper, instead of making the cabinets 3" deeper, build out the wall where you need those 3" and install the cabinets against the new wall - the rest of the cabinets along that run can still be deeper (as can the counters).

You can probably accommodate up to 9" or 12" and still have at least a 36" aisle b/w the counter in the Snack Center and the sink wall's counters. I'd try for at least 42" (which would accommodate 6"), but if you can't, then 36" may be sufficient since the only non-kitchen traffic will be those using the small bathroom (Powder Room?). I don't imagine that's a very busy doorway (except maybe during a party!)

We really need to see (or at least know about) things like the pipes you mention - we cannot give your truly useful comments or design help without all the pertinent information!

Please see the link below:

FAQ: How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include?

Something else to consider - if you live in a climate where the winter temperatures fall below zero, it might not be a bad idea to look into moving those pipes. It may not be possible, but it's worth looking in to. Frozen pipes are not fun - especially if they burst when they freeze!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens FAQ Page

• linste22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry I neglected to spell it out. You've spent a lot of time. The rendering shows a boxed wall at the right end of the sink run that encloses pipes. Also, the left end of the sink run has a much smaller box 4x4 (not shown) containing a pipe coming up from a small steam radiator. That's why my bottom cab stops before the wall. I'm not sure why they didn't continue the counter to the wall with just a cutout for the small pipe box though (as it currently does) I feel like everything will fall off the end of the counter!

• linste22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annac54 we could technically close up that bathroom wall and make a new door on the opposite side of the bathroom that would lead into the living room, but we don't have the additional funds for that work. That'd be nice though. Originally this bathroom was a pantry with beautiful wooden built ins with orb pulls and apothecary drawers that was ripped out years ago. Gasp.