Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berryberry_gw

Bill V - quick tile install question - butt tile to cabinets?

berryberry
15 years ago

Bill - getting close to doing my DIY backsplash following your advice. One question - I will be using the same type of tile as shown below (slate / quartz with a bit of glass accents - this is what Jodi in So Cal has).

I have two cabinets that come down to the granite. When laying the tile - should I butt the tile right up againts the cabinets - or leave the same width grout line as is used elsewhere?

Then when I grout - I know I use matching sanded caulk for the horizantal line between the tile and granite. How about between the tile and the cabinets? If I don't butt the tile up against the cabinets, what would I use there - grout or caulk?

Also - my light rail molding has a rounded edge - I planned to do all my cuts on a wet saw (but I do have a grinder also). How best to cut the tile with a rounded edge to fit around the light rail molding?

Oops - guess that was more than one question

Thanks !!!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (18)

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

When laying the tile - should I butt the tile right up againts the cabinets - or leave the same width grout line as is used elsewhere?

I'll usually leave 1/16- 1/8" caulk joint in places like that. Just make sure it's uniform.

I know I use matching sanded caulk for the horizantal line between the tile and granite. How about between the tile and the cabinets? If I don't butt the tile up against the cabinets, what would I use there - grout or caulk?

Already answered. :-) (DAMN I'm good! LOL)

my light rail molding has a rounded edge - I planned to do all my cuts on a wet saw (but I do have a grinder also). How best to cut the tile with a rounded edge to fit around the light rail molding?

Either or-- whichever's easiest for you. If you use the grinder, obviously make sure you're wearing safety glasses, and use a continuous rim dry diamond blade..

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

THAT is my future backsplash. I'm going to print out these instructions along with all the other info Bill has provided so I don't have the poor man answering the same questions a year from now!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

remodelfla-- it's been a long time since I've been asked an original question. Not a problem-- that's what I'm here for. :-)

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bill - Thanks much - you are a terrific resource !!!!!

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

FYI: When the tile gal installed our backsplash (the photo above), she told us she would be back to refill the grout between the bottom tiles and granite when the cabinets settled (usually within 6 months). It's been five months and so far there has been no visible settling or separation of tile from granite but I suspect it will happen eventually.

For you DIYers, keep some grout around for this reason.

Jodi-

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

For you DIYers, keep some grout around for this reason.

Jodi, I hate to say anything negative, because your installer did such a beautiful job, but that's wrong. That joint never should've been grouted, just because it DOES normally crack out, and it doesn't usually take but a week or two to do it. Why yours hasn't cracked, I don't know, but that joint should be caulked with a siliconized latex that matches the grout. Then you don't HAVE to worry about it cracking out..... at all.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

You are right Bill. I was wrong in the fact that I did not specify which kind of grout I was talking about. The installer did use a siliconized latex which I forgot was really called caulk instead. It matches the sanded grout perfectly so it is easy to forget they are different. Regardless, there are no signs of settling in our newly remodeled 27 year old kitchen and for that I am thankful.

Jodi-

• footballmom
    15 years ago

Berry, We need specifics on your new kitchen(if you haven't already posted to the FKB) Especially need info about that fab. backsplash! I bet the rest of the kitchen is just as fabulous!

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

footballmomm - Actually that pic is of Jodi in So Cal's fabulous backsplash. Based on how great it looks, and the fact it will fit perfect in our remodle, I am doing the same thing.

Right now I am just waiting for the tile to be delivered so I can install it.

I did a few threads with pics of the kitchen in process - here is the last one before granite went in

Here is a link that might be useful: Last In Progress update

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

BerryBerry, I just added a couple new pictures of the backsplash on another post for reference since so many people have inquired about it.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Jodi's backsplash

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jodi - thanks - your new pics look great

• gozalyn
    15 years ago

Thanks Jodi for the new pics. Berryberry, what color/brand caulk/sanded grout are you using? Also, what sealer are you using? I read somewhere to use the 511 Porous Plus sealer and to also use "Grout Release" so that the grout doesn't stay on. Bill V - any thoughts on "Grout Release" and if you do recommend it, does it go on before or after the sealer?

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

First of all, it depends on what stone you're using as to whether or not the Porous Plus is the right sealer for you. It's actually a very specialized sealer that costs about double what the 511 Impregnator will, and the Impregnator, on most stones, will do just as good a job. In other words, you're throwing your money away on the PP, unless you're using some of the more porous Asian slates, or limestones-- things like that. As for grout releases, they're used to keep the grout from sticking to the stone while grouting and so would be applied prior to grouting. As for what I think of them, it depends on what the stone is, and who's doing the grouting! :-) For someone DIYing their installation, I'd say it's a really good idea, being that they're not used to grouting and don't know how the grout will react with the stone. For myself personally, I prefer not to use them.

• gozalyn
    15 years ago

Hi Bill V! Thanks for the response. The stone is split-face Quartz with glass inserts. Do you recommend using the Impregnator instead? I really want to make sure that the stone is protected against oil splashes since we do asian cooking and have a cooktop grill that splatters everywhere.

Since I'm attempting DIY'ing the install and this is my first project, I think I might go ahead and use the Grout Release. What would the order of steps go? (sorry if they're completely wrong!)

1. Attach tiles to the wall using white thinset (any recommendations on a "high quality thin set bonding product"?

2. Apply Grout Release

3. Grout using sanded grout (any recommendations?)

4. Caulk using matching siliconized latex

5. Seal with 511 Impregnator or Porous Plus

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

The stone is split-face Quartz with glass inserts. Do you recommend using the Impregnator instead?

Absolutely. If it were polished instead of splitfaced, you wouldn't need to seal it AT ALL. Also, make sure when sealing the stone that you wipe the sealer off of the glass. Otherwise it'll turn white on the face of the glass.

1. Attach tiles to the wall using white thinset (any recommendations on a "high quality thin set bonding product"?

Any modified thinset will work fine. DO NOT let anyone talk you into using mastic or premixed thinset!!

2. Apply Grout Release

grout release = 511 Impregnator

3. Grout using sanded grout (any recommendations?)

Not with split faced stone. Definitely use unsanded grout. Sanded won't get into the tight joints. Laticrete or Mapei are my favorites, but just about anything you find at the big box stores will do fine.

Other than that, you should be fine.

• gozalyn
    15 years ago

Thanks Bill V for your response. I have one more question (for now)...this slate stone/glass mosaic is pretty heavy since it's thick. I don't have drywall hung yet. Do I need special backerboard for the backsplash area or is it OK to install this backsplash on regular drywall? Thanks again for your help.

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gozalyn - I think Bill answered all your questions you asked me but just in case here you go (I finished the install thsi weekend):

Berryberry, what color/brand caulk/sanded grout are you using?

Laticrete's marble beige sanded grout and matching caulk. Do get a "perfect bead" caulk tool for help in installing the caulk - makes a world of difference

Also, what sealer are you using?

Miracle 511 Impregnator

I read somewhere to use the 511 Porous Plus sealer and to also use "Grout Release" so that the grout doesn't stay on.

I put one coat of Miracle 511 Impregnator on before grouting - to act as a grout release. After grouting, I did a second coat of 511 Impregnator. And wiped it off the glass squares.

My backsplash turned out fantastic - I will try and take / post pics in a day or two