Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daedalus995

Please help with my kitchen design!

daedalus995
9 years ago

I'm planning my first kitchen remodel and I'd love some feedback from the members here. It's a one-bedroom NYC apartment so I'd like to use the space as efficiently as possible. I'm attaching some pics of the current kitchen. Currently it has a peninsula, but I'm planning to change it an L-shaped layout to maximize space.

I'd like the design to be clean, simple and modern. I'm planning to use IKEA cabinets and buying appliances (probably built-ins) elsewhere. I'm including the link to my IKEA planner file below.

The trash would go in the pull-out cabinet to the left of the DW. The microwave would (hopefully) fit inside the liftup cabinet above the DW. I was thinking of installing open shelves in the corner.

Any feedback or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Raj

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea planner file

This post was edited by daedalus995 on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 16:52

Comments (9)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I know you're planning to use IKEA cabinets (which are great), but do check out this thread (and others by the OP). Great great use of a small space.

Here is a link that might be useful: FoxCrane's kitchen reveal

• daedalus995
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link! Some great ideas there. Can anyone else chime in about the specifics of my design?

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

You link only takes me to the Ikea planer file where I can make a design, it doesn't show me your design.

• User
    9 years ago

Raj,
    I don't understand what you want. Do you want to remove the divider between your kitchen and whatever room is there? Is that a dining room? LR?
    Where is your stove?
    Do you want to open the room up?
    The link you posted is useless.

• daedalus995
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure why the link is not working. I want to open the space up. I'm planning to get rid of the kitchen peninsula, and make it an L-shape. I'm attaching the floor plan, as well as some more pics. Hope this makes it more clear. Thanks in advance!

• daedalus995
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more view of the kitchen.

• daedalus995
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a screenshot of my IKEA planner.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Hi Raj,

The planner file works for me. Maybe you have to have the IKEA planner software installed?

Your floor plan indicates that your living/dining area is 12' wide and that the kitchen is narrower due to the entrance hall. Your planner file shows different dimensions. To get the most out of using the IKEA planner, you should enter all room dimensions exactly (including ceiling height which is important in a small space), and definitely show the windows as they are very important to natural light and sightlines.

I think FoxCrane's layout would work really well for your space. I'd rather see the fridge adjacent to the hall rather than blocking the transition between your kitchen and living space. The island would provide task space facing the windows, which is missing in your layout. I now have that with my new island and I really like it. The island also provides storage without taking up too much visual space.

Some comments on your current plan. The small cabinets on either side of the hood look a little awkward to me, and wouldn't provide that much storage would they? For the corner cabinet, many prefer the 37" corner cabinet fitted with third party 32" super susans that sit on shelves and hold a lot.

Finally, you'll get the best advice by following the advice in the STICKY: New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me! thread at the top of the Kitchen Forum - give us more info on who will live there and what you want out of the space (e.g. are you hosting elaborate dinner parties or heating up take-out?).

This post was edited by feisty68 on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 19:23

• daedalus995
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for your reply! I will update the dimensions in my planner file and repost. I actually debated for weeks about placing an island in the center, similar to FoxCrane's layout. However there is a big tradeoff with the island - I would not have adequate space for a dining table. If I have to choose between a real dining table or an island with bar stools, I think I'd prefer the dining table. I wish I could have both an island and a dining table, but the space would feel cramped.

Instead of corner cabinets, I was thinking about just installing open shelfs in that space. I will be living here by myself for now. Probably 1-2 people cooking in the kitchen on most occasions. I do enjoy cooking, but I am not expecting to have elaborate dinner parties very often.

I agree the small cabinets on either side of the hood look awkard. Maybe I should replace the hood with a fan cabinet?

This post was edited by daedalus995 on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 0:00