Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pianist_gw

Ranking semi-custom kitchen cabinets

pianist
11 years ago

I am wondering whether anyone would be willing to share their ideas re. mid-range semi custom cabinets. My husband and I are at a place in the decision making process where we are not even sure what is considered to be mid-range anymore. We did a major renovation and remodel a few years ago when we lived in the midwest, and our cabinets were Plain and Fancy. We considered that to be upper middle. Gorgeous!!!

We've since survived corporate downsizing ('adjusting to scale' was the term they used, lol!) and are settling into life here in the northeast. However, none of the kitchen designers seem able to actually tell us whether their cabinets are somewhere in the middle of mid-range. I did see a list of cabinet rankings here on GW, but it is outdated. I am curious to know whether anyone has experience with any of these cabinets:

Shiloh

Candlelight

Omega/Dynasty

Medallion

Brookhaven

Wellborn Forest

Woodland

We're trying to stay beneath the Plain and Fancy priceline, but at the same time, it's difficult to assess where these other cabinets rank in terms of overall quality, including all wood construction, minimal add-on fees for soft glide close, stain, etc. and overall appearance. Both of the KD's we have seen seem to be pushing cabinets we are not so keen on: Showplace, KraftMaid, Narrow River, as well as Wellborn Forest and Woodland. We are willing to pay for quality, but I think they are being pressured to promote whatever is 'on sale' right now. Hence, they are really waving the flags for Showplace, Wellborn Forest and Woodland. We'd love to be wrong about this ... any input is gratefully accepted!

Comments (85)

• angela12345
    11 years ago

Ah !! Thanks for the explanation.

Another one that can be considered is the cabinets we got ... UltraCraft.
    They are Frameless cabinets that allow size modifications in 1/16" increments to height, width, and depth (or all 3) at no additional cost. Also, standard is full extension soft close drawers, soft close doors, no charge for finished sides, dovetail drawers with fully captured bottoms, and bunches of other stuff is standard. 100 year warranty.
    http://www.ultracraft.com/

We have been Very happy with them so far (14 months). This is in a vacation rental house that sleeps 26 people and has had 35 families stay there so far (most of them for 1 week).

• AKerstner
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am ready to pull the trigger on Kitchen Cabs. I really like Benedettini (see link) and Brighton. I am also looking at Omega semi custom line and Shiloh.

Can anyone comment on and rank on quality. I will spend what I need to for long lasting cabinets.

Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Benedettini Cabinets

• digiweb
    11 years ago

I really hope you do not get Omega. Their warranty reps are delusional, their product literature is deceptive, and my $10,000 Omega Dynasty cabinets are disinegrating.

you can read more about Omega Dynasty and Omega Signature Cabinet failures here:

Here is a link that might be useful: [Omega Cabinets problems on Houzz.com[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/my-kitchen-is-deteriorating-dsvw-vd~217193)

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Omega makes some beautiful cabinets, but nothing stands up forever to wear and tear or abuse. 4 years of water standing on a sink cabinet face WILL cause it to swell. Dragging things out of an upper cabinet instead of lifting them WILL cause the edge to chip and the finish to come off.

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Below is a passage that is indicative of how those "defective" Dynasty cabinets were treated.

"Yesterday I put water in the plant on the window sill. The water fell right through onto the sill. It sat there for a few mintues because I didn't see it right away. I took a *used* paper towel and wiped off the water." From Houzz.

A plant sitting on a window sill without even the thought of a saucer under it?

You put saucers under plants, and you put coasters under drinks, and you can use a mild soap and water to clean your cabinets, but you wipe up the excess water when you're done. You don't let it sit there. And it's that old standby of uncommon common sense that you don't buy cabinets with a sharp edge and then drag stuff over that edge without expecting to knock off the finish or even chip the wood. If you want a sharp edge with minimal radius, then you've got to handle things a lot more carefully and not drag them across the surface. Or else go with a more radiused edge.

No cabinet will stand up to that treatment without some damage. That's abuse, not normal wear and tear.

• digiweb
    11 years ago

hollysprings --

You are missing the point, as did siamese_yowl.

The water that fell through to the window sill DID NOT HURT THE WINDOW SILL because the PAINT on the window sill SEALED the wood from harm.

The water that fell on the Omega cabinets DID HURT the cabinets because the PAINT on the cabinets DID NOT SEAL the wood from harm.

Say hi to April and siamese for me.

• bchodo
    11 years ago

I am new to these forums and have found them to be a fountain of information. I too am looking to remodel our kitchen (9' x 20' after demolishing a sad looking pantry!). I've looked at appliances (36" Wolf Dual fuel convection, Wolf Steam Oven, Wolf drawer Microwave, SZ 27" all fridge and all freezer). I'm leaning toward the Seamless 21" SS prep sink and 30" cleanup sink (although I'm attracted to the Rachiele SS sinks because of their right and left rear drains), and lots of counter space. I've been reading this forum and looking at cabinets for the past week. I stumbled upon Amish Custom Kitchens (http://www.amishcustomkitchens.com/default.asp). All wood construction (no particle, or furniture board). Modern pulls and glides, and great finishes. Has anyone heard anything about them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Amish Custom Kitchens

• AKerstner
    11 years ago

I actually went with Brighton. I am getting the same quality as the Omega full custome and a good 3500 less. I shopped and researched and did my best to ask all the right questions (dont be shy to grill them!!!) and satisfied with my choice. My recommendations is to go outside the standards on the market (ie: brookhaven, omega, etc) and you will find real quality at better prices and don't go with big box stores or membership type places since they always seem to push the manufacturer to make the same product found in much smaller places; at lessor cost to them; therefore, comprimising the quality.
    I also recommend you make sure to work with an honest and reputable dealer that is recommended from a trusted source...there are lot's of "used car salesmen" mentalities out there. Most of all, don't let anyone rush you! Now on to the next adventure, cutting the deal on my appliance selections. Good Luck and speak to you all soon!

• kdhith
    11 years ago

sixtyohno, your cabinetry looks great and the project seems similar in scope to what we're doing. Do you mind my asking what the cabinetry cost (and whether that cost included installation)? Many thanks!

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    11 years ago

bchodo, I just visited your link to Amish Custom Kitchens. Very nice. I used to work with the Amish in Indiana years ago. They made cabinetry for me and I represented them in Florida for 14 years. The quality was amazing! Thanks for posting the link! (Dino Rachiele)

• Ann Marie Spinner
    11 years ago

bchodo and drachiele--- I live on eastern Long Island, NY and I am looking into Levant cabinets made by the Amish Mullet Company. Do you know anything about this company, or anyone that represents the Amish company you speak about that is relatively close to me.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    11 years ago

Hi cookingbuff. I am not familiar with Levant cabinets. I used to work with a company called Dutch Mills out of Goshen Indiana. They may be available in your area. I know they have changed hands since I stopped working with them. Therefore, I am not able to speak of the quality anymore. At one time they were considered to be one of the finest cabinets made in the country. For me, one of the most important issues when considering any product is the warranty. A quality product should be back by a strong warranty. Best of luck in your quest. Dino Rachiele

• diab123
    11 years ago

Considering New River, made by CPW. Any comments positives, negatives would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• ctbert
    11 years ago

How
    Does anyone have any feedback on Touchstone kitchen cabinets?

• researchcowgirl
    10 years ago

We are in the process of deciding between Omega Dynasty and Medallion Platinum cabinets for approximate cost of $30,000. Any feedback regarding which is the better cabinet would be greatly appreciated.

• pianist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@researchcowgirl - We are just wrapping up our kitchen remodel, and ended up selecting Medallion, Designer Gold. We are really happy with the outcome. The quality is high, and we got everything we wanted without stepping up to the Platinum level. Our kitchen is very large - two wall lengths with cabinets are 11 and 12 feet, and there is also an island and buffet area, all with cabinets. We have a huge island and tall cabinet next to the buffet. Our cabinets came in at less than $15,000. Cherry, stained in pecan with a glaze to give it a buffed less 'glossy' and more matte finish. I was amazed that your cabinet quote was so high, but perhaps you have a lot of detail that we were not looking for. How large is your kitchen? And, if you are looking for a higher end cabinet, I don't think Omega is better. We did look at that line. We were comparing everything to a kitchen we had in our last home, and those cabinets were Plain and Fancy. They are gorgeous. I would have loved to have them again, but the price would have exceeded our budget. I'll post photos when we are finished the kitchen in two weeks! PS Medallion has promotions a couple of times a year, and if you can wait before ordering, you might end up getting a free stain, or a discount on your cabinet choice - eg. upgrade from maple to cherry.

• Arizonagirl
    10 years ago

In my experience Life Time Warranties definitely are better than 5 year warranties because things can and do happen. We bought our maple cabinets in 1997. Within a couple years two of the doors split between seams where the cabinets were put together. The company we went with had a limited life time warranty. Last November, 2012 we had another 25 cabinet doors replaced due to the same splitting in the same place. They all had 4-6 splits. The rep told us that the wood had not been dried properly before they were lacquered. Ultimately this did not work out because the original cabinets were a washed maple and they had yellowed. Consequently, when they replaced the doors none of them matched. However, had we gone with anything but maple the match may have been much closer. My parents have the same cabinets 2 blocks away and their's are fine. SO we got a lemon for sure. BUT had we gone with a cabinet company with a 5 year warranty we would have spent thousands to replace what the company has had to replace due to their limited lifetime warranty. THAT warranty is not simply a "feel good" term. It does make a difference. However, don't go with maple. My kitchen and bathrooms now look like a patch work quilt. :(

• pdock
    10 years ago

I have been reading many posts regarding purchase of kitchen cabinets. We need to replace kitchen and vanities in our Florida seasonal condo. Being new to Florida-we live in Canada--I am have tough time getting reasonable prices. Our kitchen is about 10 feet X 11 feet plus about 5 feet of cabinets under a window for total of about 26 feet. Most of the cabinets are standard except for 10 feet of upper cabinets over a penninsula. These cabinets are 24 in high with end cabinet from ceiling to counter top. The cabinets are frameless and have doors with glass on both sides. Can someone recommend a good dealer or kitchen designer in the Boynton Beach area (Near West Palm Beach ) and perhaps advise name of good cabinet manufacturer. We have had 2 quotes now that seam very high. Your help is appreciated

• pdock
    10 years ago

I have been reading many posts regarding purchase of kitchen cabinets. We need to replace kitchen and vanities in our Florida seasonal condo. Being new to Florida-we live in Canada--I am having a tough time getting reasonable prices and really have no idea if the companies are reputable. Our kitchen is about 10 feet X 11 feet plus about 5 feet of cabinets under a window for total of about 26 feet. Most of the cabinets are standard except for 10 feet of upper cabinets over a penninsula. These cabinets are 24 in high with end cabinet from ceiling to counter top. The cabinets are frameless and have doors with glass on both sides. Can someone recommend a good dealer or kitchen designer in the Boynton Beach area (Near West Palm Beach ) and perhaps advise name of good cabinet manufacturer. We have had 2 quotes now that seam very high. Your help is appreciated

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

pdock,
    You could feel at home at Ciara Cabinets KD in north Boca. The have several Canadian brands, e.g. Cuisines Laurier cabinets and Richilieu hardware.

• Achey5202
    10 years ago

Kompy,
    I work for Plain & Fancy and I just wanted to clarify that we have changed our warranty to limited lifetime. You can see all of these changes reflected on our website here http://plainfancycabinetry.com/kitchen-organization/warranty. Thanks for all your nice comments!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plain and Fancy - Warranty

• kompy
    10 years ago

Achey! So glad to hear that you changed your warranty. It probably won't make a bit of difference to what you guys do....but it will give customers that peace of mind.
    Kompy

• peony55
    10 years ago

To cooking buff, I have been to levant's manufacturing plant and met the people there: family business, 2nd generation, honest, fabulous craftsmen and end product. while the Amish generally value craftsmanship, some are better than others! levant is top notch.

• joann1960
    9 years ago

Anyone used Shilo cabinets recently? The comments from 2008 were all really good but things can change in a few years. Doing painted cabinets and wanted to make sure the finish was really durable. Quoted inset doors for this kitchen, sounds like doweled drawers are an up charge?? Redoing a high end house, sales point will be 2 million. Joann

• amck2
    9 years ago

I am also hoping someone chimes in on this. Shiloh wasn't a brand I was considering or know much about, but my KD recommended their inset cabs to me at our meeting yesterday.

• aries61
    9 years ago

joann1960: Below is a link to a Shiloh kitchen recently done. There have been quite a few painted Shiloh kitchen done on this site recently. The standard drawer box is dovetail plywood, but you can upgrade to a maple drawer box. You have to upgrade the drawer slides to Blum with soft close when you do inset. The charge is $72 list for blum and $67 list for maple drawer box.

Here is a link that might be useful: lcskaisgir Shiloh Kitchen

• chris_chen
    9 years ago

Hampshire Cabinetry out of Ohio has a semi-custom line called Stonebridge that they came out with a few years back. They sell through a dealer network throughout the country with a lot of dealers in the Chicago, DC, and NY/NJ areas. They use the same finishes (catalyzed conversion varnish) they use on their custom line for their semi custom line. They have the best finishes in the industry and the finish is what really makes the cabinets last and makes them look beautiful. They have a really large selection of finishes, custom colors, wood species, and door styles to choose from. The best part is that they are small enough their customer service is amazing. They stand behind their product and service repair/replacement cabinetry. If you call them a real person answers and can almost always answer your questions right away. Because they do semi-custom and custom, you can mix and match and do a few very custom pieces while keeping the costs down. They are a family company and have been in business since 1970. Cost comes in right around the same price as Medallion, but the quality and customer service is a lot better. They also have a great website and a lot of photos on Houzz. I wouldn't sell anything but Hampshire cabinets for the mid to higher price range!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hampshire Cabinetry

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

SPAM alert.

• CCB3
    9 years ago

Why not Kemper?

That's what we got for our new construction and so far it looks to be great quality and affordable. Very happy with the decision.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

New home build and we are going with Haas out of Indiana, semi custom.
    Looked at several different cabinet lines with different KDs. We found this line to have what we wanted at a decent price.

Any feedback on Haas?

• carkub
    9 years ago

I'm just discovering this site. Since 2012 there have been many posts comparing cabinet companies including; Dynasty made by Omega, Shiloh, Brook Haven made by Wood Mode, Candlelight, Grabill, Medallion, and StarMark. I am about to put in a new kitchen (20' x 15') full of many cabinets plus a large island in the center. I thought I had made up my mind and chosen Dynasty (I had only quoted Dynasty, Brook Haven, and Shiloh) but have since reopened my entire search based on the horrible reviews that I've been reading on Houzz regarding the quality of the Dynasty Cabinetry. My number 1 need is quality. I do a ton of cooking and need these cabinets to last a very long time, and want an outstanding warranty no matter which company I choose. I don't mind if the price varies a bit between my choice ($5k give or take as this is a huge project) but I not want to go higher end like Wood Mode (or any of the comparable cabinets) for budget reasons. Can any of you please share any info you available is you have any of these lines???? thanks:)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Stop reading reviews. It's paralyzing you. Every line there is will have bad reviews from someone. Usually that someone has incorrect expectations from the beginning such as mistaking a stock line for semi-custom or a semi-custom line for custom or for wood to behave like plastic.

Your KD should tell you how many cabinets from each vendor needs to be replaced on the recent jobs. KDs HATE to deal with unhappy customers caused by cabinet company issues. That means that they will try to steer a customer away from those lines that give them headaches.

No KD wants to have a 30% higher priced sale if that sale results in half of the kitchen being replaced. Or, in my case, I have a "value priced line" that I steer people away from because of their issues. It's not trying to up their expenditures. It's trying to up their satisfaction rate. The biggest regret that most people end up with after a remodel is going with a lesser quality cabinet line in order to meet their budget.

Dealing with immediate warranty issues on not even installed kitchen really sucks. No KD will steer you to a line that has those issues. Dynasty is a fine choice for anyone's upper middle range project as long as that is your expectation for your home.

• carkub
    9 years ago

Thank you GreenDesigns!!! You've made some really great points:)

• smaiuri
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am also trying to remodel a kitchen 11x13 with a 5' island and some additional pantry and server on dining room. I have mixed feelings on the different brands, and is hard to picture the whole new kitchen without an actual visual. Does any one of you know of a good designer that is willing to work with us to put this on a software and then order the right cabinets? I am in MA metrowest area. I am serious about the project but need serious help as well.

• Jancy
    8 years ago

Hi smaiuri - I used Windsor Architectural Woodworking in Malden. I don't know how far Malden would be for you though. Mike was really great to work with. I did my condo kitchen a year ago and just recently we did 2 apts and now using Mike again for my boyfriends place. I used UltraCraft Destiny line and like them very much.

Windsor Architectural Woodworking

• hazelwags
    8 years ago

Are you willing to go to Sterling, MA? Kitchen Associates has a great, 2 level showroom, and carries several lines. They worked with us for over 8 months to fine-tune our plans.

• robertjanson
    8 years ago

We are looking at the landmark line. The quote was 39,000 and the designer assures that this a good price. We are worried we are overpaying

• warwic
    8 years ago

I'm building a new home on the bay in RI. Really want white kitchen cabinets which means painted cabinets. My concern is seams splitting over time. Someone mentioned Cabico with mdf doors, and drawer faces only, with cabinet box made of 5/8' plywood and drawers 5/8 maple. Doors and drawer faces will be white baked enamel. Has anyone, or know of anyone who has had experience with these kitchen cabinets. 222, wall and 11' island. Canadian company. Confused

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

You might get more feedback if you start a new thread. There are also some helpful threads on this very topic of you search the site.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    8 years ago

Years ago I worked with Cabico. You are on the right track looking for an MDF white painted door. I really cannot comment on the company at this point due to the long time it has been that I was involved with them.

• shepherdkisses
    8 years ago

I am so confused reading all of the reveiws. I think what I need to do is research the proper ways to finish and seal wood, and then find out what to look for as far as good construction. Lots of the cabinets suggested here don't finish the cabinets properly to seal them from heat and moisture. A little crazy since they will obviously be in contact with both in a kitchen or bath. There are lines out there who do this quaility work and that is what I need to find. If anyone knows of a line off hand I would be grateful for the shortcut.

• _sophiewheeler
    8 years ago

Any KCMA certified line will have a finish on it that passes their tests. None will stand up to abuse though.

• shepherdkisses
    8 years ago

Okay, so what is all this stuff about cabinets being hand finished with 8 different layers to protect from moisture and heat? Most cabinets don't have this do they? I think it was a Home Depot line or Costco that had a warranty stating that when you clean your ovens you must remove any adjoining cabinet doors. Cleaning an oven seems to me to be a normal non abusive occurance for a kitchen. Removing cabinet doors to accomplish that does not seem normal to me. Things get wet in a kitchen and bath as well, and it would be normal to miss some water here or there, especially for families. If something was not cleaned up immediately, I would not be able to call that abuse. I would call that a family. Cabinets are suppose to be manufactured to go into homes with families with kids and dogs and busy schedules. Owners can't police the area and don't expect that they will need to. That is not what the sales people say when you go in to look at the cabinets is it? Of course not. No one would buy them.

• _sophiewheeler
    8 years ago

Self cleaning ovens generate a great deal of heat. Heat can and will scorch wood, mdf, and paint. To prevent that heat from building up, it is recommended to open the doors and drawers adjacent to an oven while it is in the self cleaning cycle. If you don't and your cabinets scorch, yes, that is abuse and would not be covered under warrant. By any cabinet company.

Wood expands and contracts over the seasonal moisture cycle. Just as you will get a gap in your crown molding in winter because it's dry, and a door will stick in summer because it's moist, cabinets will do the same thing.

Although top coatings are meant to have a certain amount of flex to them, they do not have enough flex to not get hairline breaks in the finish where you have two pieces lf wood joining. That is 100% normal. You cannot expect wood to not behave like wood.

Cabinet doors · More Info

Cabinet doors · More Info

This is normal.

Cabinets do get wet occasionally, yes. But you are expected to not let them stay that way. You are expected to dry them, as part of a normal care routine just as you would any other furniture in your home. And you are expected to not constantly slop water onto the cabinet below the sink base, and to teach your children to do the same. And not let the dog jump on them and scratch them with his nails. That is not normal wear and tear. That IS abuse that will result in guaranteed damage that will not be covered by any cabinet warranty.

If you feel that you cannot properly care for your kitchen furniture investment, then there are cabinets that will stand up to a more continual water presence and searing heat. You find them in commercial kitchens everywhere. They are stainless steel.

• shepherdkisses
    8 years ago

I see what you are saying and you are not all wrong. What I don't understand is why these old kraftmaid oak cabinets that I hate are not having any trouble with my self cleaning oven since 1993. The new cabinets do, why? The warranty that I mentioned said to Remove the doors, not open them. If I am running around like a crazy person getting kids up, dressed, fed and out the door so I can go to work the cabinets have better have a quality finish on them and stand up till I get home. If not then they are useless.

• lstryer
    7 years ago

Can you please comment on greenfield cabinets vs. new river by cwp. I am narrowing down to these two and would appreciate your input. Originally wanted Rutt regency, but these are way out of our budget.

• cyc2001
    7 years ago

I'm also looking for info on greenfield cabinets. Thanks!

• Nicole Cunneen
    6 years ago
    Does anyone know where cabico would fall in the mix?
  • jcohen199
    4 years ago

Carkub can you share which cabinets you ended up installing? Were you pleased?

• J D
    2 years ago

as an installer i have installed all the brands on here and than some and i will tell you this with out a doubt hands down….. there is a brand called qcci and it tops all mention…….