Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aryno_gw

Granite, check. Cabinets, check. Paint color- no idea. pics

aryno
13 years ago

I know that choosing paint color is not in my bag of tricks. Maybe someone out there has a similar look and can help me with what they chose or wish they would have chosen?

Espresso stained alderwood cabinets in a shaker style. Two slabs of delicatus. Creamy, not yellow, grey, black, and dark taupe.

The room is 20x20 with tons of natural light. 15 foot ceilings with two large exposed beams that will also be stained espresso.

Lots of stainless steel; hardware, 36 inch pro range and backsplash, fridge, grohe ladylux pro over the sink, danze and a zero radius bar sink.

What do we paint the walls???? We are doing most of this on our own. I sincerely do not want to spend 3 days rolling out paint that sucks! If I choose the color myself, that is bound to be the case. I know my limitations.

The floors are ugly tile that scream 1981 so let's just pretend they don't exist. Already way over budget, they will have to hold up for a while longer.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket link for cabinet stain and granit.e

Comments (18)

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

IMO the Navojo White shows pinkish and the White is, of course, very bright white. With your gorgeous granite and cabs, how about a light grey, or if you want a little color--very light green or blue. For a bolder choice, a red would be nice. You have all neutrals so I think you can do almost anything, but since your neutrals tend more toward grey, I would stay away from pinky beiges.

Sorry I can't be more specific about colors but I hope this helps a little. I'm sure there are many others on this forum who can give you specific colors. Hang in there, you've done great with your choices so far!

• aryno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks! I added the paint swatches just to give some perspective/contrast. It's hard to tell what the true color of the stain is without something true against it. I am also leaning towards grey.

There is a revere pewter from BM that a lot of people with Bianco Atico use. Will give it a try.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Your choices are similiar to my kitchen...(Peppercorn stain cabs and Del. White Granite, stainless appl. and lots of natural light) so I'll show you what I did..I like neutrals....
    The color on the walls is "Natural" from Waverly at Lowes. (Not greenish as it may appear in the pictures.) The ceiling and trim are "Swiss Coffee".
    Before

and After..

• aryno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kitchenaddict:
    LOVE it. When can I move in?
    Our Drywall goes up early next week and then we begin rolling it on. I will be sure to post an update with the final decision and picture.
    I will absolutely give your colors a go- they are officially in the running. Thanks for your kind response.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

aryno...just popped back on and saw your response...

I am excited to see what happens with your kitchen. I was just downstairs in mine which is still very new to me, (only 2 weeks old). You are going to LOVE your Delicatus White. At night, with the lights on, it actually looks like there are diamonds on your counter. Your slabs are gorgeous!

There are so many ways to go with paint colors...I pretty much have the same color throughout my home. But that's just me:) I will be interested in seeing what you come up with!

Yes, Please Post pictures...lots!

• topkicker
    13 years ago

kitchenaddict-Love your pics! Nice Choices! Of course I have to ask about the backsplash!! What it is, colors, and where did you get! Fabulous!!!!!!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

thank you topkicker...you're very kind:)

here is a thread. You have to scroll way down for the details.

Here is a link that might be useful: previous thead

• allnewappliances
    13 years ago

Do you have a local paint store around you (not talking about HD or Lowes)...the ones around here have a color consultant that charges by the hour...she will come out, look at your kitchen, cabinets, furniture, floor, etc and help you select paint colors.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Get this magazine. It is such a great magazine to have on hand for any painting project. It's House Beautiful's 500 paint colors.

I have Bianco Antico granite,which is close to yours, and I really love a taupe paint with it. I found that the Revere Pewter in our house was very cold and institutional. But that was my lighting. Get this magazine, there are soooo many great ideas and colors in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Beautiful's 500 favorite paint colors

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Try this blog:

http://colourmehappyblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/5-questions-to-consider-when-selecting.html

She's excellent, and explains EXACTLY why colors work or don't.

• aryno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I have a list:
    Hit Bayside paints and check on pricing for a consultant.

I bought the house beautiful mag, now I just have to READ it! I'm excited to sit for a bit with that one. I agree about the revere pewter being a little too cool. Thanks for your opinion.

THen I suppose I need to go and colour me happy, thanks lazygardens.

Good advice, keep it coming!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Aryno,
    A few colors come to mind maybe these will be the one.
    ~boxerpups

Kitchenaddict, I love your kitchen. Beautiful!!!
    ~boxerpups

Swiss Coffee by Behr

Nomadic Taupe Dunn Edwards

Papaya Benjamin Moore

String Kelly Moore Paints

Mega Greige Sherwin Williams

Comfort Gray by Sherwin Williams

Pavillion Gray

Pavillion Gray

Classic Gray by Benjamin Moore

Swiss Coffee by Behr

Veil Cream Benjamin Moore

Bone White Benjamin Moore

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Thank you boxer...I always love to see the inspirational photos you post. Don't know how you do it, but they are soooo helpful. Those colors are beautiful...just my taste for sure! I almost want to go and repaint.

Good Luck Aryno... and I agree with lazy gardens about The Colour Me Happy Blog.... very educational:)

• debinnh
    13 years ago

What colors do you like? What are the colors in the neighboring rooms? Grays are very safe neutrals. But I prefer colors. I like the idea of a seaglass green.

• aryno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

boxerpups:thanks a million. love the veil cream.

debinnh- i love color too, but in other people's houses. I am way too scared to go big! Maybe when we get to the other rooms in the house. Baby steps. Green would have been my first "flirting with danger" color.

Luckily you can't really see any of the other rooms from the kitchen, just the backyard so we don't have to worry about complementary colors.

• bcbungalow
    13 years ago

Aryno - that is beautiful granite! I've not seen anything quite like it, you've inspired me to head back to the granite yard (ick).

That said, I agree with a grey neutral- I think it will be lovely with the granite and your cabs.

• dyno
    13 years ago

We have the grey overtone thing going too. Primary colors are BM stonington grey, stone hearth and fossil. Color consultant from BM chose them and after testing them we are pleased.

• debinnh
    13 years ago

My cabinets and granite are not even close to your colors, but I did paint my walls a "neutral" green:

{{!gwi}}