Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdgirlygirl

How to "style" your kitchen after reno is complete?

SDgirlygirl
9 years ago

Perhaps this is a silly question and its hopeless without any accompanying photos.

My kitchen renovation is now complete and while I'm very happy with the end result and have little regrets, I'm finding that its still lacking something. I've been mulling it over when it struck me- my kitchen lacks personality. Its the pretty girl without any spunk or charm.

Making the problem worse is that I like the clean look so I have nothing out on the counters. Its all white shaker cabinets (love!), green crackle tile (love!), caeserstone Raven perimeter counters (love!) and a carrara marble island (love! but quite scary). I'd like to "style" my kitchen (within reason) but I dont know where to start. Looking at inspiration photos it looks like people have flowers, decorative jars and plates. Where does one begin? Is this an insane idea?

Comments (7)

• renov8r
    9 years ago

You need to have some colourful things out - a pottery bowl of fruit, or a lovely wooden cutting board, your favourite tea pot, To me, having everything removed makes the kitchen dull to look at even if all the elements are beautiful.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

3 large jars filled with cereal (or anything, really)
    a tray with salt jar, pepper grinder, oil next to range
    bowl of fruit
    a colorful towel folded next to sink
    tall vase of flowers on the island (if you have one)

You don't need much. That's about all I have out on my counters and it looks simple, clean and nicely styled. I'm not one for decorative items that don't get used as they seem to add to the cluttered feeling, IMO.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

I will have my Henckels knife block out first, then the red kitchenaid mixer along the perimeter which is dark like yours. I like a cookbook holder too near the stovetop and a lazy susan stacked with pretty spice bottles on that side. I only want functional items near the stove.

On the island, especially if it marble- I would put the colorful "wow" piece (on felt maybe?). A lovely large Majolica Bowl filled with lemons or oranges, or a vignette of Polish paintware displayed on something like this-

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

A pretty tea pot on the stove?

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

You've already got some good advice. I'd only add to watch your scale. Don't use all items the same scale and don't be afraid of tall or large scale items. I've got the often used bowl of lemons and limes but it's very big diameter and I've got a tallish topiary and then a much smaller, lower but wider topiary. Also swap things out now and then. Change of seasons is a good time to change out your accessories.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

On the island, how about a pottery berry bowl, in whatever accent color you prefer. Lots of colors look pretty next to marble. My berry bowl is dusty blue. I found it on Etsy. You could have a nice green to compliment your backsplash, or choose a color nearby on the color wheel such as blue or yellow as an accent, or go bold with orange or red. Or a large Italian platter that looks beautiful empty and that you sometimes use for serving at the table. A combo of blue, white, yellow and orange painted platters look really pretty on marble. I found a pretty one on sale at Sur La Table.

By the cooktop or stove, how about some old blue/green Ball jars, or other pretty glass jars that you like, with popcorn kernels, steel cut oats, whole almonds, wild rice, or other grains and nuts you use frequently. Again these items are pretty but also very functional. I picked my old jars up at antique shops one at a time. If you want cooking tools at hand, a pretty wooden or stoneware crock. Sur La Table has some nice Le Crueset ones and also some pretty wooden ones. Or you can pick one up if you are antiquing or use an old fashined teapot or pottery water jug. But if having those tools out would seem cluttery, skip that and keep them in the drawer nearby.

On the stove, a beautiful tea kettle or stove-top espresso maker if you use one frequently. Also nice looking salt and pepper grinders, and perhaps 2 pretty containers with olive oil and veggie oil if you cook daily and want these items at hand.

If the items are pretty and functional I think you will enjoy seeing them.

I have a coffee maker and toaster out in addition to the pretty things I like. Can't find a way around that yet, but it's ok.

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

im a minimalist. i love my miles of uncluttered countertop. and everything is black and white. including the floor. i struggle with the same styling issues. i think i'm just going to totally commitment to the palette, and go with b&w photos in a grid on a wall.