Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojodi2

Copper Countertop--Last wipe before lacquer?

jojodi
10 years ago

I am in the process of completing the patina on my new copper countertop and plan to use Minwax Brushing Lacquer to seal it. I understand that it should be free of dust and debris before the lacquer is applied--but what should be the last thing I wipe it with before I apply lacquer that will not affect the patina but clean it well enough to receive lacquer? Very new to this....any advice very helpful--thanks!

Comments (11)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Mineral spirits. But I doubt seriously if you're going to be very happy with lacquering a counter. Water and oils will soften it and it with get sticky and yucky and peel. Appreciate copper for the living surface that it is and leave off the maintenance creating nightmare that is lacquer.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

Was your process recommended by someone? Is this just a side bar area or a real true main counter in your triangle? Just cannot visualize what your intended 'look' will be. Or if it will get heavy daily use.
    I had them in one house...just the island breakfast bar and pass thru. Beautiful, always changing, durable. But very rustic and did develop a nice natural patina but did need a quick rub down in the 'active' areas with ketchup weekly, and a more thorough cleaning once a month. I never minded the 'in-between' times. Drink rings and such.
    Laquer may seem to be durable but will immediately scratch and look like an old '57 chevy in no time. A mess and not easily cleaned.

10 years ago

Oh, good example...
    Years ago a friend of mine, an antique dealer, started buffing, shinning vintage copper and brass. Then spraying with lacquer. The process sealed the surface preventing any patina from developing by keeping out the natural patina creator, air. They could not be used at all. Just display. I used one as a serving tray for just cheese and crackers. Even put lettuce leaves under things. A mess within a year. chips and scratches and those areas darkened. AND should not be used around food.

If you want to lightly seal the surface, something that will wear off evenly and occasionally re-apply, find a food-safe product. But i would just enjoy it naturally.

• jojodi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your input! I actually read in a thread somewhere (I have done so much research I can't remember exactly where it was) regarding sealing a copper countertop and someone recommended that specific lacquer. I had also read somewhere about the food safety of lacquers and polyurethanes and that once completely dry, are food safe. Obviously this is very important. Am now reconsidering based on your posts!

If we do decide to seal it I am now thinking perhaps a commercial epoxy. Any recommendations on a different type of sealant?

Thanks.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Get another counter if you want to keep it shiny and new. Copper isn't for you. Copper is for those who enjoy the fact that it changes in appearance every single day.

• eam44
    10 years ago

I have to agree with holly, although you've clearly already installed the material. Have you ever seen circuspeanut's kitchen (or former kitchen)? I believe she waxed her gorgeous copper counters.

Here is a link that might be useful: circuspeanut

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I had also read somewhere about the food safety of lacquers and polyurethanes and that once completely dry, are food safe.

Safe FOR contact with food and safe FROM contact with food are two different things.

If you lacquer the counter after achieving the perfect patina, every scratch and nick will start developing its own patina and as mentioned, the lacquer is not going to stay intact.

• jojodi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have put the kibosh on a sealant. I choose life! ;)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

Acetone; the correct answer was acetone.
    Casey

• dan1888
    10 years ago

The other correct answer is wax and grease remover using a clean cotton cloth followed by a tack cloth.

10 years ago

Another good answer is to take the time to do some samples. Not only for visuals, your final look, but for durability.