Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yogurt Berry Muffins as promised :-)

Posted by a2gemini (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 16:41

As promised, A2gemini Yogurt Berry Muffins - My mom's recipe book always included the source in the name, so following her tradition.

Photobucket

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup of oil of your choice
1 egg
1 cup Greek style yogurt or drain regular plain yogurt
1 tsp baking soda
~1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp almond extract
1 cup white flour
1 cup "white" whole wheat flour
2 cups fruit - I used raspberries and blueberries because they are in season.
Cinnamon/sugar mixture for the top of the muffins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Grease/flour muffin cups and top rims
Mix together the oil and sugar
Add the egg, yogurt, and almond extract
Gradually add the flour, salt, and baking soda

Divide into muffin cups.

Dust tops liberally with sugar/cinnamon mixture

Bake 20-25 minutes (oven dependent) until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.

Cool on rack for ~10 minutes. Place towel over muffins and invert to pop muffins out of pan - I usually have to encourage them a bit - wiggle the muffin, tap on bottom, etc...

Makes 12 full size muffins. Feel free to play with the flour - I plan to try this with all whole wheat in the future.

And here is a picture of my "bake zone". It isn't finalized yet, but sure is helpful to have it organized.... Not as fancy of some kitchens but makes it quite functional.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yogurt Berry Muffins as promised :-)

Thank you! And, Yum! Tasty fruit poking through the tops, plus the aroma of cinnamon. We just may be having these for breakfast tomorrow -- raspberries are a couple of weeks away, but frozen wild blueberries are always available.

o

yum--I'll try these too! Think I can sub. vanilla extract for almond? We are nut allergy people??

o

Enjoy! I just bought some new Vietnamese Cinnamon today and wow!

Are you in Alaska or Maine - Frozen wild blueberries - I haven't wild BB in years -since I lived in Connecticut - I would go forage every morning to find blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries...

o

I think it would be fine - or try some other extract such as coconut. Be creative - it makes it more fun!

o

ha, we are allergic to coconut too! I'll try vanilla!

o

Ohhh, those look so good! If only we had a kitchen! haha.

o

The muffins look great, but even greater is how beautifully organized your shelves are!

o

YUM~ and baking question since I just started baking in my new kitchen since I LOVE the convention feature on our ovens.
Can you use the greek yogurt with the fruit in them? I have all the other ingredient but that.

o

Christine - what about lemon or maple extract? I think either of those would compliment the fruit.

That recipe looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing.

o

Awesome! Too bad I won't have an oven for the next 3 or 4 months!

o

A yummy looking recipe made even better by pretty pictures and a well organized kitchen! I just realized I'm out of berries as well as yogurt, but I'm hoping to try these later this week. Thanks for sharing, a2gemini!

o

a2gemini: Alas, neither Alaska nor Maine -- but New England. We get these great frozen wild blueberries from Maine. Costco and BJs carry them here. Fortunately, though, our garden provides strawberries and raspberries. The raspberry bushes were part of what sold us on the house!

o

Heading into massive training classes - so a bit brief. Sorry
CK- Plain Greek yogurt is best - but feel free to experiment.
Costco - just moved in 2 miles from my house - I was planning to avoid, but will have to check it out.
Fishies - soon and then they will taste even better
Jessica- hope you found some yogurt and fruit -I love my berry bowl from a local potter - it is the green bowl - and has holes in the bottom to allow for any drainage and so convenient.
Serendipity (great movie with that name) - good ideas on the extract - lemon would be yummy.
Jerzee - thanks!
Kashmi - I am a UConn grad...I currently have wild raspberry plants populating my city lot - and also a lot of poison ivy.... Leaves of 3, let them be, unless they have prickers such as berry bushes!
Back later this week after marathon classes....

o

Just finished baking the yogurt berry muffins to take to my MIL's. Had to taste test them first. They are yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

o

Thanks. Glad you tested before sharing with MIL. LOL if they were a disaster!

o

Ok, the big experiment was successful this morning. Gluten free, relativey SF (1tsp organic dark Mollasses; 1 TB organic blue agave; 1/2 c baking Splenda ... I know, that stuff is bad for you, but it is still better than sugar for some of the health concerns in my home.) Used ev coconut oil, 2 eggs, added a cup of walnuts.

A2, a winner!
Thank you for the inspiration!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

they were yummy! I only got one--my kids ate them all!!

o

Hi A2. I made these last Sunday with hazelnut oil (needed to use up the little I had left in the fridge), vanilla (had just run out of almond), and fresh strawberries. Raspberries weren't quite in season then and my garden wouldn't have yielded enough for this recipe. As expected, the strawberries were oddly cooked inside, but the flavor was wonderful. I ended up with 12 very, very full muffins. So easy to whip up! Now that I have more almond extract, I want to try a batch with raspberries.

I dropped my camera in our lake the evening of my dad's memorial service in May, but I did snap some pics with an odd camera I found in the office. I'm not sure how to upload photos from it. If I figure it out, I'll post a pic. Thank you for the recipe!

o

Thanks Anna - will try the GF version. Now to find a good vegan version LOL - potlucks are a challenge between the GF, vegan, and nuts!

Christine - glad you were a ble to enjoy one. I sometimes hide one before, putting them out!

o

Those look fantastic! Anna, thanks for the gluten free variant, I will give that a try. I just had surgery and can't eat normal food for a few weeks, but I'm compiling a list of what I will cook when I can eat again, I'll be sure to include these yogurt berry muffins, thanks A2gemini!

o

Ouch Sochi, hope all is successful and ok!

o

These look great! I made a similar recipe yesterday, from the Pioneer Woman's blog. (link below)

I think the yogurt makes it a thicker batter - for once all my berries did not sink to the bottom!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pioneer Woman Blueberry Muffins (contest winner)

o

Can the oil be substituted with molten butter?

o

Yum! I just made something similar, but another gluten-free version. Rather than using flour, you process GF oats and use that as your "flour" base. It was simply oats, eggs, touch of sugar, plain yogurt, vanilla (or other extract), and strawberries. They were SO good. I froze them after I made them, and then brought them on a camping trip. They held up wonderfully!

o

The muffins look great, but I'm wondering, are you the potter? I especially love that strainer in your first picture. Very nice! It reminds me of one I had made but was broken years ago. I really need to get my hands on some clay again, it's been so long. And I'll definitely try this recipe next summer when our blueberries are ripe! It sounds wonderful!

o

AnnaA...which GF flour mixture do you use? Or, do you make your own? All these years and I still wrestle with the "gluten-free aftertaste" just about all my baking has (except those items that are highly spiced - like Rocks and brownies).

o

Lisa - would like to take credit for the berry bowl - but purchased from a local potter at Farmer's market - I just love my berry bowl and might get a second one. It comes with a little plate underneath it - so just rinse the berries and put into the fridge.
Anna - Love to know your GF mix - I am not GF but have friends that are and looking for things to make.
KW - I also freeze them in little baggies and then they are ready to pack whenever I need a muffin fix!
Petra -my recipe calls for oil - but you can pro
Breezy - sorry about your camera - hopefully you didn't have many pictures on the camera at the time... Glad you enjoyed the muffins. I like to modify recipes and usually successful - sometime it will backfire. The original recipe called for sour cream and all white flour and regular sugar... I guess sometimes you just get lucky - maybe it is my Irish roots!

Also, I froze a peck (I think that is what is called - anyway a couple of large containers of peaches and blueberries for the winter - so should be able to whip up some muffins throughout the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here