Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

Yogurt Berry Muffins as promised :-)

a2gemini
11 years ago

As promised, A2gemini Yogurt Berry Muffins - My mom's recipe book always included the source in the name, so following her tradition.

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup of oil of your choice

1 egg

1 cup Greek style yogurt or drain regular plain yogurt

1 tsp baking soda

~1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp almond extract

1 cup white flour

1 cup "white" whole wheat flour

2 cups fruit - I used raspberries and blueberries because they are in season.

Cinnamon/sugar mixture for the top of the muffins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Grease/flour muffin cups and top rims

Mix together the oil and sugar

Add the egg, yogurt, and almond extract

Gradually add the flour, salt, and baking soda

Divide into muffin cups.

Dust tops liberally with sugar/cinnamon mixture

Bake 20-25 minutes (oven dependent) until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.

Cool on rack for ~10 minutes. Place towel over muffins and invert to pop muffins out of pan - I usually have to encourage them a bit - wiggle the muffin, tap on bottom, etc...

Makes 12 full size muffins. Feel free to play with the flour - I plan to try this with all whole wheat in the future.

And here is a picture of my "bake zone". It isn't finalized yet, but sure is helpful to have it organized.... Not as fancy of some kitchens but makes it quite functional.

Comments (27)

• kashmi
    11 years ago

Thank you! And, Yum! Tasty fruit poking through the tops, plus the aroma of cinnamon. We just may be having these for breakfast tomorrow -- raspberries are a couple of weeks away, but frozen wild blueberries are always available.

• christine40
    11 years ago

yum--I'll try these too! Think I can sub. vanilla extract for almond? We are nut allergy people??

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Enjoy! I just bought some new Vietnamese Cinnamon today and wow!

Are you in Alaska or Maine - Frozen wild blueberries - I haven't wild BB in years -since I lived in Connecticut - I would go forage every morning to find blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries...

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it would be fine - or try some other extract such as coconut. Be creative - it makes it more fun!

• christine40
    11 years ago

ha, we are allergic to coconut too! I'll try vanilla!

• young-gardener
    11 years ago

Ohhh, those look so good! If only we had a kitchen! haha.

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

The muffins look great, but even greater is how beautifully organized your shelves are!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

YUM~ and baking question since I just started baking in my new kitchen since I LOVE the convention feature on our ovens.
    Can you use the greek yogurt with the fruit in them? I have all the other ingredient but that.

• maggiemuffin360
    11 years ago

Christine - what about lemon or maple extract? I think either of those would compliment the fruit.

That recipe looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Awesome! Too bad I won't have an oven for the next 3 or 4 months!

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

A yummy looking recipe made even better by pretty pictures and a well organized kitchen! I just realized I'm out of berries as well as yogurt, but I'm hoping to try these later this week. Thanks for sharing, a2gemini!

• kashmi
    11 years ago

a2gemini: Alas, neither Alaska nor Maine -- but New England. We get these great frozen wild blueberries from Maine. Costco and BJs carry them here. Fortunately, though, our garden provides strawberries and raspberries. The raspberry bushes were part of what sold us on the house!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heading into massive training classes - so a bit brief. Sorry
    CK- Plain Greek yogurt is best - but feel free to experiment.
    Costco - just moved in 2 miles from my house - I was planning to avoid, but will have to check it out.
    Fishies - soon and then they will taste even better
    Jessica- hope you found some yogurt and fruit -I love my berry bowl from a local potter - it is the green bowl - and has holes in the bottom to allow for any drainage and so convenient.
    Serendipity (great movie with that name) - good ideas on the extract - lemon would be yummy.
    Jerzee - thanks!
    Kashmi - I am a UConn grad...I currently have wild raspberry plants populating my city lot - and also a lot of poison ivy.... Leaves of 3, let them be, unless they have prickers such as berry bushes!
    Back later this week after marathon classes....

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Just finished baking the yogurt berry muffins to take to my MIL's. Had to taste test them first. They are yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Glad you tested before sharing with MIL. LOL if they were a disaster!

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Ok, the big experiment was successful this morning. Gluten free, relativey SF (1tsp organic dark Mollasses; 1 TB organic blue agave; 1/2 c baking Splenda ... I know, that stuff is bad for you, but it is still better than sugar for some of the health concerns in my home.) Used ev coconut oil, 2 eggs, added a cup of walnuts.

A2, a winner!
    Thank you for the inspiration!

{{!gwi}}

• christine40
    11 years ago

they were yummy! I only got one--my kids ate them all!!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Hi A2. I made these last Sunday with hazelnut oil (needed to use up the little I had left in the fridge), vanilla (had just run out of almond), and fresh strawberries. Raspberries weren't quite in season then and my garden wouldn't have yielded enough for this recipe. As expected, the strawberries were oddly cooked inside, but the flavor was wonderful. I ended up with 12 very, very full muffins. So easy to whip up! Now that I have more almond extract, I want to try a batch with raspberries.

I dropped my camera in our lake the evening of my dad's memorial service in May, but I did snap some pics with an odd camera I found in the office. I'm not sure how to upload photos from it. If I figure it out, I'll post a pic. Thank you for the recipe!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Anna - will try the GF version. Now to find a good vegan version LOL - potlucks are a challenge between the GF, vegan, and nuts!

Christine - glad you were a ble to enjoy one. I sometimes hide one before, putting them out!

• sochi
    11 years ago

Those look fantastic! Anna, thanks for the gluten free variant, I will give that a try. I just had surgery and can't eat normal food for a few weeks, but I'm compiling a list of what I will cook when I can eat again, I'll be sure to include these yogurt berry muffins, thanks A2gemini!

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Ouch Sochi, hope all is successful and ok!

• clubcracker
    11 years ago

These look great! I made a similar recipe yesterday, from the Pioneer Woman's blog. (link below)

I think the yogurt makes it a thicker batter - for once all my berries did not sink to the bottom!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pioneer Woman Blueberry Muffins (contest winner)

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

Can the oil be substituted with molten butter?

• kwscook
    11 years ago

Yum! I just made something similar, but another gluten-free version. Rather than using flour, you process GF oats and use that as your "flour" base. It was simply oats, eggs, touch of sugar, plain yogurt, vanilla (or other extract), and strawberries. They were SO good. I froze them after I made them, and then brought them on a camping trip. They held up wonderfully!

• Lisa.H
    11 years ago

The muffins look great, but I'm wondering, are you the potter? I especially love that strainer in your first picture. Very nice! It reminds me of one I had made but was broken years ago. I really need to get my hands on some clay again, it's been so long. And I'll definitely try this recipe next summer when our blueberries are ripe! It sounds wonderful!

• Buehl
    11 years ago

AnnaA...which GF flour mixture do you use? Or, do you make your own? All these years and I still wrestle with the "gluten-free aftertaste" just about all my baking has (except those items that are highly spiced - like Rocks and brownies).

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lisa - would like to take credit for the berry bowl - but purchased from a local potter at Farmer's market - I just love my berry bowl and might get a second one. It comes with a little plate underneath it - so just rinse the berries and put into the fridge.
    Anna - Love to know your GF mix - I am not GF but have friends that are and looking for things to make.
    KW - I also freeze them in little baggies and then they are ready to pack whenever I need a muffin fix!
    Petra -my recipe calls for oil - but you can pro
    Breezy - sorry about your camera - hopefully you didn't have many pictures on the camera at the time... Glad you enjoyed the muffins. I like to modify recipes and usually successful - sometime it will backfire. The original recipe called for sour cream and all white flour and regular sugar... I guess sometimes you just get lucky - maybe it is my Irish roots!

Also, I froze a peck (I think that is what is called - anyway a couple of large containers of peaches and blueberries for the winter - so should be able to whip up some muffins throughout the winter.