Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creating a tray ceiling from 1980s recessed flourescent light

Posted by tracey63 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 16:40

You know what I am talking about - those ugly flourescent lights covered by plastic panels (bug catchers in our home) that are recessed in the kitchen ceiling. They are typical of houses built in the 70s and 80s. I am thinking of creating a tray ceiling,putting crown modeling inside and then hanging a light or placing recessed lights. I just don't know what it would like and have had limited success searching for pictures on the internet of such a remodel. Does anyone have any photos or a website to give me ideas about what I am envisioning. Did you keep the area square or change the shape? Many thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creating a tray ceiling from 1980s recessed flourescent light

Hi,sorry I do not have any pictures but I remodeled a house several years ago and did the recessed lights in the same setup. I painted a mural inside to go with a little handmade mosaic countertop I did, I also trimed the ceiling out with simple crown. I got lots of compliments on it. I say go for it...it's fairly easy to do but bad on the neck.

o

Here is a before and after of our 1980 California home with the fluorescent lights and plastic panel. We "upgraded" our solid plastic panel to a grid panel some time in the 80s, but the ugly factor was still there nonetheless.

BEFORE  Kitchen from dining area

Photobucket

Jodi-

o

Here's mine from a house that was recently sold. The light is from Ikea and the arms can be bent to fit the space. The lights can be adjusted to point light where you need it.

Photobucket

o

I don't have any photo's, but in one house they ran a large crown molding around the bottom edge placing some up-lighting hidden behind it. Then they added some recessed cans around the lower soffit ceiling. In another house they just cleaned it up, and added a small crown around the top with some recessed cans. In our case, we bit the bullet and ripped it all out right up to the ceiling joists, returning the entire ceiling back to normal height. The original dropped ceiling ran down the hall all the way to the front door, so it cost us a bit more, but it was well worth it.

o

BUMP

o

I had this builder's site bookmarked for tray soffit ceilings, for inspiration.

How big is your light? Our mid-70's subdivision was built with these, mostly 4 foot square. I've seen houses for sale (never in person) where they did not enlarge the light area and it looked odd in scale to me - much too small. A friend in the neighborhood enlarged hers some and made it into a hexagon (or maybe octagonal) shape and put florescent lights behind crown molding up there - it looked very nice and threw a lot of light.

Here is a link that might be useful: tray soffit ceilings

o

We had a large rectangular fixture we removed. We fixed up the drywall and installed two solar tubes, and then have recessed cans around the perimeter area of the kitchen. It looks so much better, and we don't ever turn on the lights during the day. I don't have a pic I can post right now, but I'll see if I can figure that out later...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here