Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meb04

Kohler enameled cast iron kitchen sink scratches

meb04
11 years ago

I had a Kohler "Deerfield" enameled cast iron sink fitted when my kitchen was remodeled in November last year, 2011. In the new year I noticed scratches on the bottom of the sink. I purchased baskets for the sinks and the Kohler special cast iron cleaner. The scratches could not be removed and in fact more scratches appeared. Kohler customer services have not been very helpful telling me that the scratches were what they call 'pot marks' and I should use a cork to apply the cleaner and try to erase the marks.They are still there.

I am so disappointed in this sink. It looks like it has been in use for at least a decade not just a few months. I am preparing to make a warranty claim to Kohler and wondered if anyone else had had a similar experience and what had been the end result.

Comments (18)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

my old ones i just used comet and a scratcher pad to get rid of them. don't know about the newer sinks tho.

have you tried one of those eraser cleaners or Bar Keepers Friend?

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Are the marks dark? Can you feel them with your finger or nail?

• wallycat
    11 years ago

I am sorry to hear about your sink...we had a deep blue Kohler cast iron enameled in our home in WI and I detested the thing. The more I cleaned, the black, duller and yuckier it got. Kohler was not sympathetic. They do sell a cleaner that is supposed to sort of re-gloss a sink, but I do not think it would do much for scratches.
    Ours was old; since yours is new, can you call them and see if they would replace/repair it for you?

• gldngrl61
    11 years ago

I have had a Kohler almond cast iron sink for 27 years and it's breaking my heart to let it go. Its a bit duller than when it was new, but it has been a workhorse. If you are seeing dark marks on the enamel, they are not actually scratches, but areas where the teal from your pots have rubbed off on the enamel because the pot is softer than the cast iron. That should rub out with elbow grease and bar keepers friend. If you have scratches, Kohler guarantees their sinks, so just make sure you get the right person on the phone. Talk to a supervisor,a dn if you don't get satisfaction contact consumer affairs through your state attorney generals office. They handle consumer complaints.

• pawa
    11 years ago

Is there an alternative to Bar Keepers Friend?
    I don't think it's available where I am.
    Can you use VIM (a liquid abrasive cleaner)?

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I find BKF in my supermarket with the Ajax and Comet. I don't get why people prefer it over the other scouring cleansers.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

I've only had my Kohler cast iron sink installed for 10 months.
    Looks perfect now. Time will tell....

I clean it on a daily basis with Method all purpose cleaner. Once or twice a week I use the Kohler cast iron polish/cleaner recommended in the sink installation literature from Kohler. You can buy it online from many online companies. Wayfair seems to be the least expensive. Also available through Home Depot

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Cast Iron sink cleaner

• melissastar
    11 years ago

What about BonAmi? I seem to recollect an earlier post that said BonAmi is preferable to BKF for the Kohler sinks...it doesn't have some component of BKF that might abrade the sink surface.

By the way, I have a large Kohler in sea salt crackle finish and it has a few of those greyish streaks on it too. I haven't yet tackled them, but I'm pretty sure they aren't scratches, but marks from pans and will come out. I haven't seen BonAmi around lately and am waiting to try it rather than go straight to BKF.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Mine sat on the garage floor for several years and got all kinds of damage. Rust, slices in the bottom of the sink and scratches.

They were out of the touch-up kit because my color was discontinued. So. They sent me a whole new sink. Of course it didn't cover ripping out my countertop and reinstalling the built-in sink, but I have a new one in my barn!

• meb04
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate all of the messages. Thank you.
    The marks are mostly dark and I can feel them with my nail.
    More of these marks appeared after I had fitted a wire rack which makes me think there is a fault with the enamel.
    I have used Kohler cast iron cleaner with, and without a cork, which is what I was recommended to do by Kohler customer service.
    I am waiting for my husband to take a good photo and for my contractor to provide the original invoice then I am going to contact Kohler again as I am very unhappy.

• khernand
    8 years ago

Thrilled to read these wonderful comments and curious if the original post ever found out if the sink coating (enamel) was defective?

• ariel38
    7 years ago

Hi Meb04,

I have the same problem that you did with the Kohler sink. I was wondering how did you fix it? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

• Vertise
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Kohler has outstanding customer service.

Baking soda works well.

• dennis7450
    6 years ago

I have an above granite bath room sink. After much research I believe it is cast iron dipped in white enamel. (Non magnetic) Mine has scratches as I can feel them with my fingernails. Does anyone know how to remove the scratches? I thought about paint touch up but I can't find a paint match...Thanks

• Jora
    5 years ago

I will NEVER purchase another Kohler cast iron sink. We purchased ours - single basin - about this time last year, and it's beauty only lasted a few months. It's only hubby and I at the house, and I'm pretty meticulous about cleaning things. The marks/scratches are from utensils that dropped in the sink, and went through the Kohler grid on the bottom. I HAT THIS SINK and will never ever ever purchased another one!

• wilson853
    5 years ago

I have a Whitehaven sink and keep this IKEA bucket off to the side. Utensils get thrown in here. It is also handy for soaking the DW filters or moving about the kitchen with hot soapy water when I need to clean the range top.

• chocolatebunny123
    5 years ago

This is obviously an old thread that's been resurrected but figured I'd give my 2 cents anyway.

I just replaced my 20 year old Kohler cast iron sink with a Kohler stainless undermount. I would have gone with another cast iron but the Kohler white was on backorder and I couldn't wait that long. My 20 year old sink was in amazing condition considering the age and abuse it took. I had ordered a special cast iron sink cleaner from Kohler themselves that worked really well at getting utensil scratches out, but we too used a grid which definitely helped.

I've also been told by many pros that things aren't "made like they used to be", whether that be flooring, cabinets or cast iron sinks, mainly because of changes in EPA/green standards. The toxic chemicals that were once used to say, varnish floors or coat sinks are no more because of the health hazards they cause their workers and the VOCs/chemicals they emit.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County