Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

90% finished! White cabs, wood counters, 'blingy farmhouse!' DIY

dirtymartini
11 years ago

SORRY SO LONG! I don't expect everyone to read the whole thing.

I cannot believe, after 3 years, I am finally posting here to say "(almost) completed kitchen!" If someone would have told me it was going to be 3 years, I would have freaked out! However, our home is a fixer upper and my husband is doing 99% of the work himself. Of course that saves tons of money, but materials are pricey and I did not want to "settle." After pricing kitchen cabinets my husband decided to make them himself. We considered buying doors and having him make the boxes, but he decided to make the doors, too! My husband is a fantastic woodworker, but NOT a cabinet maker. What I love about him is that he does not try to do something that he cannot do well, so I had faith in him. You must understand that he owns a small business in the construction industry and my husband works 10 hour days, sometimes on Saturday, too. He really busted his butt to do this kitchen. I love to cook and entertain. I don't care about designer clothes, fancy cars or having a huge house with upscale decor. My only wish was a "dream kitchen" which I feel I have. It is made even more special because it was built by his hands. There are some tiny details that I would possibly question if I had paid a professional to do the cabinets, but any imperfections I may find are overshadowed by the fact that my husband went out of his comfort zone to make my dream kitchen a reality, and that suddenly makes the imperfection beautiful to me. Ok, enough of that sappiness! On to the good stuff!

Our home is a 2200 sq ft faux spanish ranch built in the mid 70s. It is on an acre in an equestrian community and has a 3 stall barn and a pool. I absolutely LOVE this house and we plan on being here a long time. We are both native to South Florida, our families are here, etc.

We just finished the back splash. I am CRAZY about the material. It is Solistone Folia in "Silver Maple." I wanted a reflective surface since we have no natural light in the kitchen. The flecks of brown pick up the walnut stained counter top beautifully. Love how it appears to have a "texture" of each tile being separate, but is easy to clean because it is actually a flat surface due to grouting. It is available at Home Depot and Lowe's but must be special ordered and it kept saying "out of stock" so we got it at a local tile place. Some of you may remember I had been to this board asking about mirror back splashes, specifically antiqued mirror. I still like that idea, but after finding this I am glad we went with it. We still need to install stainless steel switch plate covers.

My counter tops are $100 worth of plywood! We eventually want to do waterloxed butcher block, but due to finances, my hubby decided to make temporary tops. He stained them a walnut, rounded the corners and banded the edges. Lighter stain on the island. I told him I am in no rush for the "real" counters! Of course these are not durable, but he said they are easy enough to make that when they start falling apart he can make more. It is liberating to not care too much about your counters. I don't mind a scratch or ding here and there as they are cheap and temporary. He made a little "baseboard" around the perimeter where the back splash meets the counter, so when we finally do get the (thicker) counter top, he can easily install. I purposely won't do granite...it just seems too common nowadays, and I am trying to keep with a more rustic look.

I agonized over the sink and faucet choice...especially the old GW favorite conundrum "pull out or pull down" faucet. The sink is a very deep (10" I think?) Kraus farmhouse with a 70/30 split. I like the split because I wash my pots and pans or whatever in the "70" side, then put them on the "30" side to dry. The "70" side is so big and deep that most trays, baking pans etc fit into it easily without being seen. Also, I do not know how I survived before without the rack/grate at the bottom of the sink. Such a small detail but I LOVE it. BTW, we do not have a garbage disposal and I thought I would just die without one but we have a septic tank so we decided to forego one at this time. I am surviving quite nicely! The faucet was relatively inexpensive and purchased at Lowes and so far is great.

The fridge is a Samsung. It is french door with the freezer on the bottom, and a drawer above the freezer which we keep beer on one side, and DD's chocolate milk boxes on the other. The one drawback is the ice maker doesn't make much ice. Fortunately we put the old fridge in the garage and that is another thing that I would not want to give up. I keep frozen meats in that freezer, any extra items when I entertain or around holidays, carrots for the horses, extra bottles of chardonnay and of course we use the ice from there. Having that extra storage is wonderful.

LOVE my double wall oven! It is a Fisher Paykel...the discontinued one with the blue interior. My husband found it for 1k at a Sears scratch and dent. Paid an extra $300 for a FIVE year warranty. It does have a good sized dent in the front, on the top oven, bottom left corner. Funny (not really) story...I told DH we couldn't get a fridge at a scratch and dent place...I didn't want to be so obvious that we were being frugal and have a brand new kitchen with a bunch of dinged up appliances, and we had bought the F&P ovens. He agreed so we paid full price for the fridge. About 1 month after installing the ovens next to the fridge....he was opening the oven and our daughter was opening the fridge and **CRUNCH**...huge dent! Notice the small dry erase board on the fridge, that is to cover it up! After we had our floor plan I read here on GW that this could happen with the ovens next to the fridge, but I did not heed the warning.

I love love love my walk in pantry! There was a shallow pantry at that same spot, with bifold doors. On the other side, there was a coat closet, also with bifold doors. That is the wall where the entrance is, a major focal point in the house. Of course we did not want closet doors greeting our guests as they walk in! Hubby punched through that wall, hung drywall at entrance, then made a doorway where the shallow pantry was. I really like my inexpensive beaded curtains as a door for the pantry! If we have guests over, we can just let the curtain hang, but on a day to day basis I leave it as you see it in the picture.

This is my first time having gas and I love it! Before installing the wood floors, he had to chip up the tile in the family room/ kitchen. Then, he had to dig a small "tunnel" from the exterior where we would eventually be keeping the tank allll the way to where the island would be placed. He ran the pipe so it would be ready whenever we finally did our kitchen. I will say, the gas cooktop is not easy to keep clean. It is a GE Profile, 5 burner. I wonder if getting black would have been better than stainless? I do not mind the idea of mixing appliances. I actually LIKE black appliances and would have done all of them black, but again, because the kitchen is not light and bright with sunlight, I wanted the reflective, light colored stainless steel.

My husband also ran the electric and installed the high hats in the ceiling. We are having a disagreement...he bought these slightly decorative high hats that are kind of an ORB finish, they match the cup pulls and knobs on the cabinets. I think it is silly to have a white ceiling, white cabinets...and then these brownish circles on the ceiling. He seems to feel strongly about it, and I don't really notice them, to tell the truth, so I guess I will let it go. Any opinions on that? My husband also did the under cabinet lights. Oh, he also scraped the popcorn in the WHOLE HOUSE including the garage, and we had knockdown applied. That is one of the few things we paid someone to do, apply the knockdown. That popcorn scraping is a B!tc#! I tried to help him but it was awful, so he did it himself.

I did consider having some open shelves instead of some of the cabinets. I do like that look, and feel like my kitchen is a LOT of cabinets, maybe too many...but we have dogs and right now we don't have a hood vent over the cooktop so I am amazed at the layer of grease that coats items that stay out on the counters, such as the container that holds the cooking utensils. Then little dog hairs get stuck on it, it just seems nasty. Yeah...I fry a lot of bacon, I admit it! All my drawers pull completely out, and all my drawers and cabinets are "soft close." You couldn't slam them if you tried. The cup pulls were really inexpensive, my husband found them and brought them home. I was glad because I was really over thinking the cabinet hardware and would have never been able to make a decision.

This leads me to the island hood vent. I think I need one but it KILLS me to have to break up the openness of the kitchen! Our ceilings are only 8 foot. I think we will do white rather than stainless steel so it can somewhat blend in. Opinions?

Which leads me to another question. We want to do a light fixture over the peninsula....or do we? Will that *compliment* the island hood vent, and somewhat balance it? Or will it make it look *less* open and like my ceiling is cluttered? My DH seems to think we really need a light fixture there. I do not like pendant lights, I am thinking either two lantern type of lights, or one long light fixture. Also, I prefer the bulbs/light to go "up" rather than "down" if that makes sense. I hate sitting under lights that point down. I don't think they are flattering to my 40-something face, and also I feel like I am being interrogated! So maybe that same finish as the high hats for the light fixture, that ORB-y yet weathered patina?

Another area needing suggestion...the area under the peninsula, where the stools are. I know the "normal" thing to do would be to put panels that match the cabinets. Hubby is worried about scuff marks. I realize that whatever we put under there, it is visible from the family room, and it is undesirable to have your eye "rest" there before continuing on with the kitchen. We have leftover bamboo from the floor. I was thinking either horizontal (it seems horizontal wood paneling is all the rage now..then again, it is so cool that it might be out of fashion quickly) *OR* maybe take each panel (you can see in the picture, there are 4 panels) and put the bamboo diagonally on each one, but the diagonal going opposite ways every other panel, then framing it with more bamboo, like a barn door. Hope that made sense. Hubby thinks using the bamboo is cheesy but I think it will blend nicely with the floor and not be too obtrusive.

Somethings I would do differently or would change or just don't like:

We have strand bamboo throughout the family room, kitchen and all the bedrooms. I regret getting it. My husband installed it. It cupped (which may or may not be my husband's fault) and it has a fake sheen to it. Also, the dogs nails clack against it more than wood. It's annoying in the mornings!

The cooktop island size...after reading some more here on GW, I am realizing I really should have MORE counter space around the cooktop. It does seem to be crammed when I am cooking something with lots of ingredients. Although I do like the cooktop being a "landing space" when I pull stuff out of the oven.

I kept rambling on and on to my husband about "cabinets to the ceiling." Well, he decided to make them truly go to the ceiling, he needed to raise them an inch when he was installing them. First problem, that inch makes a big difference when putting dishes away, or when I need to get something stored on the top shelf. I am 5'4". More importantly, there is a tiny gap between the ceiling and cabinets and it is bugging the crap out of me! If we had an additional inch of space up there, he could have easily added some sort of trim or molding. But now it is almost impossible, especially with our wavy ceilings (which is one reason we have knockdown instead of smooth ceilings. DH preferred smooth but the ceiling was crazy wavy...we had to do knockdown!)

I am also a little disappointed with the gap between the cabinet doors. As I mentioned in the beginning of this ridiculously long entry, certain errors don't bother me, because they are from my husband and these cabinets were built to make me happy.

Making 2 photobucket albums took wayyyy longer than I thought it would! I pretty much organized them in before and after shots. If you hover your cursor over the picture you can read my "title" with a short explanation. I did not bother with writing descriptions.

Here is a link that might be useful: dirtymartini's kitchen

Comments (26)

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If anyone is interested, you can see some of the general house pictures. I made a small album to show some before and afters. My husband is in the paving industry and did the driveway himself. It is ASPHALT, very durable and gorgeous as well. He also painted the house himself, interior and exterior, did the flooring, scraped the popcorn in the whole house, put new lighting in...I mean, the list goes on and on. He always jokes that he is going to die from exhaustion and I will be enjoying the house with my new boyfriend, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hacienda Cruz

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It looks wonderful. I would never have known the counters were plywood. And I love your backsplash tile too. I really like the way you wrapped it around the corner and did the whole wall there.

What did you use to chip up the old tile? Buy or rental? I see your dh isn't wearing ear protection; is that because it wasn't that loud? Did it take up the thinset too or was that another procedure?

• function_first
    11 years ago

I love the long background story, you all have worked so hard on this house and it shows -- it's really beautiful. You husband is a keeper, he is a gifted craftsman, very evident throughout the house -- the kitchen cabinets came out wonderfully, and I am amazed at what he did with a piece of plywood. I also love your backsplash, it's gorgeous and love how extensively you used the tile, too.

I looked at your house album, too, and you have done amazing work through out the house -- love the driveway. How lucky you are to be married to this multi-talented guy.

Congratulations. And thanks for sharing.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Looks VERY nice, but the photos are small... Any way to post bigger ones here? I'm dying to see your backsplash better!

Oh, duh... Hit the 'slideshow' and they get big.

The sink is wonderful and the backsplash tiles are gorgeous. The plywood countertops are AMAZING. Very beautiful job your dh did there.

Too bad you didn't drop the cabinets down a bit before doing all the tile work, so they could be the height you'd like. But they don't look bad in the pics.

Did you check with F&P Parts to see if you could get a new oven door? BTW, if the porcelain chips, I'd say get some porcelain patching stuff and forget it. I went through SUCH an oven journey, when I probably could've been happy with patched porcelain and my original savings, since I got my blue-interiored F&P at a deal, too. Loved the look and the performance.

Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen!

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Wow, beautiful and it must feel so rewarding to have done all that hard work (the planning, finding and recycling, and building!) Congratulations :-) This kitchen is an inspiration. I just wish my spouse and I could even pick up a hammer!

• mmhmmgood
    11 years ago

Kudos to you and your incredible DH! It looks fantastic. I love the backsplash and the sink/faucet combo. Awesome. I love the orange insides of the glass fronted cabs too. Fun!

And the countertops! Who knew plywood could look so great! Well done DH!

Congrats! Enjoy!

• library_girl
    11 years ago

What an incredible transformation! And I loved hearing the backstory. Your husband is quite talented and your house looks fantastic - inside and out. You have accomplished what many couldn't in twice the amount of time. I can't believe your countertops are plywood - they really look great! And pretty clever to leave space for future counter top. Love your daughter's decorating too!It's truly an inspiring kitchen!

• catlover5
    11 years ago

What an amazing journey and result. How cute your daughter decorated for you and your husband's joke is too funny. Have fun in your new space. It is so lovely and those counters look GREAT!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Everything looks fantastic! Your DH is so skilled and dedicated. Love the sink and BS areas.

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

What a guy!! Patience is definitely paying off!! You can begin (very soon) enjoying your beautiful home (that is until the next project comes along:)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

What strikes me is not only such a beautiful kitchen, but the pride with which you describe it.

congrats on a long job well done.

Gives me inspiration!

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

I love your long post. It's a momentous process and it deserves all that. I too have learned to accept less than perfect as regards hubby work. In truth it's more that I have learned to question myself about this expectation of perfection. Bravo to your husband.

I think your kitchen has wonderful original style. Like your (retro) cabinet over the sink and the cutout & curtain under the sink. The backsplash looks sooo cool.

I can tell you that plywood is surprisingly durable as a counter. I have two sections myself, though not around the sink and they've been in use for way too long!

For the peninsula I hope you get a foot rail. Less scuffing and also way more comfortable to sit at. And thanks for the heads up on the fridge door/oven door clash. I had no idea! Last of all - Hurry up with the hood, before the grease takes over your beautiful new kitchen!

• colorfast
    11 years ago

dirtymartini--I love, love your post. We were a partial DIY but certainly did not make our own cabs. Hats off to you.

I do think you need an island hood. You really have two issues to think about--the color and also the bulkiness. You could also get one with stainless. I was also trying to keep the openness going, here's mine. There have been others on GW have the same tube coming down, but then it's a thin stainless steel hood rather than glass. Hopefully someone will remember whose kitchen that was and send a link.

• frmrsdghtr
    11 years ago

this is one of my favorite reveals ever! just love your new space! absolutely adore the backsplash! do you have an estimate on cost? especially on the cabinets? great job!

• Maine_Mare
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous! I had birch plywood countertops for 7 years and they stood up very well to hard use. We repoly'ed them annually and never had a problem. Not too shabby for under $150 in materials and a few hours with a band saw.

Congratulations!

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

I really enjoyed reading about your journey to your dream! And congrats to you and your DH for reaching your goal! He is one talented man and you are one patient lady!! It looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing all the details of your property. Love the driveway!! Everything really looks great!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

"I have learned to question myself about this expectation of perfection."

I agree and have to constantly remind myself of this. I'm doing much better at it now that I'm older than I did in my younger yrs. I do think when you are paying a professional the big bucks you can expect it. When your dh is doing it with so much love those little things become treasures and memories.

It's just wonderful! love the house, love the kitchen! I think something along the line that colorfast posted in a hood/vent is your best bet. There have been many similar ones posted on the board.

on the lighting over the peninsula - I have no idea what would look good there but i'm sure someone else will. the on the ceiling lights look fine to me. They wouldn't bother me - not something I'd bother changing. if you find they do really bother you, you can change them out later. maybe?

loved reading about the journey you've been on. dh is really a keeper!!

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for all the kind words, your interest and your support! I have been on this board for 3 years...just not recently. I took a break from these boards a little while ago, just because I was kind of getting depressed at all the gorgeous kitchens! I admit, I even felt a little jealousy! Then just recently I stopped coming because we had already made our decisions and I did not want to get confused or torture my DH with some possible tweaks and changes.

I am so happy to see some familiar names here on this thread. I know this sounds cheesy, but all the kind comments almost made me get teary eyed. Like I said before, this really is the only material thing I have wanted for a long time. But I know that Gardenwebbers on the kitchen forum know that a kitchen is not a material thing ONLY...for folks like us it is (cliche time, sorry) "the heart of the home." I have been cooking incredible meals and/or entertaining non stop. It is such a joy and pleasure to me.

outsideplaying-thanks for your comments and for your excitement for me!

Maine_Mare-That is good to hear! He actually did not even do these as well as he could have, because he truly thought they would be in for a few months. Where he adhered the counters to the undermount sink, you can see some clear caulking. Also, the end of the peninsula has a gap where he came up a little short! But next time, he will do an even better job and if we can keep them for 7 years like you...then we will be doing great! But I am fine the way they are, truly. Very minor flaws.

frmrsdghtr-I really really do not have an estimate. I think my husband said awhile ago that the cabs were about 5k? I could be wrong, and he just said that figure off the top of his head. Thanks for the compliment!

Hi colorfast! Your kitchen is lovely, too! Originally we wanted wood stained cabinets, but the darkness of the kitchen (no natural light) plus wood floors and a desire to have butcher block counters (eventually) made us rethink that! I never dreamed I would have white cabinets, because I lived in a townhouse for 14 years with white formica cabs and I wanted a big change from that. I am happy with our white now, tho! I have considered SS for the hood and I have seen your style before, but for some reason I am stuck on white. I attached a link below of an idea, although I have heard mixed reviews of that futuro futuro company. I *really* liked some of their other styles. They look more like light fixtures than hoods.

onedogedie-thank you for being so kind about my long post! It's true, it was such a crazy and long journey, it seemed it warranted a little more than "here is my kitchen!" I have read so many "finished kitchen" posts here, and whether long or short, I like the ones where I can *feel* the pride in the post! I wonder why plywood is not mentioned more often as an alternative, whether temporary or more long term? I just never hear it mentioned and thought my hubby was crazy when he told me that was what he was going to do. I had no idea it would look so nice. As a matter of fact, even he gets a little frustrated when the first thing people notice when they walk into the kitchen is the countertop! LOL. Good idea about the kick plate, I will mention it to my hubby.

Thank you CEFreeman! :)

Lake_Girl-Ohhh, you should see what he is doing with the chicago brick pavers that are the walkway in front of the barn! They were put in half assed by previous owners, so he has his paving equipment here at the house and is using fill and making it look PRETTY. A total do-over. My friends ask me if he can do stuff at their house (they are willing to pay, of course) but I say NO WAY...he still has too much to do here! I think we compliment each other well because I NEVER nag him. To be honest, there are some other things I think he should be doing rather than the brick pavers...but I also know that feeling when I feel "inspired" to do a project and I wouldn't want someone nagging me to do something else instead.

mmhmgood-lol, inside the cabs we left it the natural wood color! So that is what you are seeing, it isn't orange, LOL. I can see how it looks that way, but heck, even *I* am not that daring or funky! lol

rhome-I had posted to you awhile ago about the oven. Your comments made me VERY excited. So far I love it. Do you think if I do not use the self clean mode, I will be ok with the blue porcelain? Or do you think I will have issues either way? I will try to find out about the door, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it will be pricey. It doesn't bother me *that* much. Thank you for your comments and help!

marti8-he had ear plugs in. He had already purchased that tile chipper years ago. he said it does chip up thinset, but you have to use a different blade. Thanks for the comments!

Thank you soooo much, gscience, catlover, About togetdusty and KrisMA!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you desert steph! Yes, I am getting better about expecting perfection as I mature (age? lol) also. Also, at first I was thinking "I have waited so long for this kitchen, I want it to be PERFECT!" Then, after I waited much much longer, I figured, "heck, I better be happy with what I get!" lol Thanks for your comments and suggestions re: ceiling lights and hood.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

wow, congrats! your kitchen is gorgeous! everything really ties in together and so amazing that your DH did it all! i love your backsplash tiles too and how you decided to run it all the way up that other wall. they make your space really unique!

• carybk
    11 years ago

Gorgeous-- your husband's skill and hard work are very impressive.

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you michoumonster and waterdamage! :)

Oh, I just asked my hubby what he thinks the cabinets cost and he said under 1k in materials. He added another 2k in labor because when he had lulls in jobs with his business, he would have templates and have his employees do the cuts and oversee the work, so he added the labor in too.

The hinges and slides (soft close) were about $500
    The Samsung fridge was $2300
    Fisher Paykel double oven $1300
    GE Profile 5 burner gas cooktop $1200 (i think)
    Kraus sink $400
    faucet from Lowes $100
    The pulls were only a dollar each!
    countertops $100
    backsplash (I am embarrassed to tell you the price, this was our big splurge) $1700

Of course there were a million little trips to Home Depot for electrical wires, undercabinet lights, various things here and there. But geez, I guess the whole kitchen was just a wee bit over 10k!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

That hood is gorgeous! I think it would look good in your kitchen. I like the glass one like colorfast has, and it would be easier not to see when you look into the kitchen, but I can't quite see it in your kitchen.

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks marti8! I will be sure to post when we finally get one. My husband is talking of buying the "guts" (motor I guess?) and then building the rest. We shall see what we decide....but I do agree we need one soon!

I think I will post about this and ask about buying the inside of the hood vent.

• momo7
    11 years ago

Your kitchen (and whole house) looks fantastic! You two did a wonderful job. Congratulations!

I love your backspash too. And what you did with it. Wow! Everything just looks perfect together - even the pet shop :-)

You sound like you're enjoying your kitchen. Lucky girl to have such a handy husband.

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, momo! We would not have been able to purchase this house if my husband wasn't so handy. Even with DIY work, materials are so pricey! As much as we have enjoyed it, we won't ever do it again! Next house (not that we are planning on going anywhere, I am hoping our grand kids will one day be visiting us here) will be move in ready! :)

P.s. our daughter is 13 so what I mean is we plan on being here for a couple of decades at least!