Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Looking to sell cabs, how much to ask?

akl_vdb
9 years ago

Looking to sell my kitchen cabinets, wondering how much to ask? They are maple, 19 years old. Came with the house. We're in Canada. They are made by a company that no longer exists. Like 2 of the boxes need to be repaired/replaced as there was a dishwasher leak.

I just don't know what's reasonable to ask for them. Thanks for the help.

Comments (12)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Here, I see used cabinets listed for $100, but must take ALL.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Is the counter and sink included? Look at see what is being advertised in your newspapers and on line on craigslist, etc.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

As someone who has created her kitchen from reuse centers, I don't think you're going to get much for it.

It IS a lovely kitchen, but when base cabinets are being sold for anywhere from $5.00 (orphans) to $35.00 (a few that match) I wouldn't even look twice at yours for anything more than that. Oh, yes, there are places that ask a heck of a lot more for a whole kitchen, but those are donated kitchens to them.

I'm thinking you might get a better return donating them and taking the tax write off. Do they do that in Canada?

• coco4444
    9 years ago

Depends on how lucky you get. Someone looking to outfit a cottage or basement apartment might be willing to pay. We sold ours on kijiji (southern ON area, so yes, Canada!) for $800 including cabs, sink, countertop in 2011. We asked $1000 or best offer. Check kijiji for comparables. And maple might be more marketable than my arch-topped golden oak? Staying under the $99 Rona/HD special cab pricing might be the best idea.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

We sold basically the same cabinets as Coco for $600 on Craig's List, Portland, Oregon.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

We sold an oak kitchen in good shape for $1000, back 7 years ago, in the midwest US (where some people still choose golden oak).

I bought 15 50-year-old maple cabinets for $250 from someone rehabbing an apartment complex a year ago. I rehabbed the cabinets into much better looking stuff for my kitchen.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

As someone who just bought a used set, I can tell you that I trolled craigslist every day and cruised through the non-profit resale stores. Almost always, the resale stores were higher priced than homeowners. Look online for cabinets similar to yours before you decide on price. And a tip that makes a BIG difference: Itemize your bases and uppers by size and post dimensions in your ad. It is irritating as h3[[ to a buyer (me, at least) to see photos and read glowing descriptions without a clue if the sizes will work for you. Good luck. Don't price too low; a little high and you can reduce.

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 2:12

• peony4
    9 years ago

We are in the U.S., and the tax advantage of the donation of our kitchen was far, far more than for what we could have sold it. Be sure to look into this option first (although I'm not at all familiar with Canada's tax laws).

• badgergal
    9 years ago

The pictures below are my previous kitchen. We put them on Craigslist 2.5 years ago, asking $800 without the countertops. We sold them in one day for $650.
    I would not have bet money that they would sell at all, let alone for $650. Really that is laminate sides you see on those cabinets!

So just set a price and see if you get any responses. Be willing to accept a lower offer. Lower your price if no one responds right way.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice! And thanks for the Canadian perspective Co-Co. And good point tomatofreak about measurements, I probably wouldn't have!

In Canada, I don't believe we have that wonderful tax write off donation (unless it's cash). Would be great if we could though!

I'll peruse kijiji and see what's going on, and price accordingly, was thinking 800 or so, but willing to go less.

Thanks!

• coco4444
    9 years ago

I'm almost positive we don't have that tax write-off here.

Excellent point made about measurements, especially individually so people can play around with layouts. Mine, although out of style for some, were also meticulously cleaned after we removed them. Oh, and I put them up for sale before I took them down, so people could see the layout and function. Luckily they sold before we had to demo. if you're demo'ing before listing, make sure to take lots of pictures. And keep EVERYTHING... our buyers even wanted our 12 year old faucet (I think it was Moen but nothing special) as well as our plastic paper towel roller from the dollar store!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Co-Co. It's already demo'd, has been since Nov (small flood, lowers out, uppers out this week, nothing moving quick around here!) I did take lots of pics as we did do a small reno last summer. No sink, no tap and no counter. Just cabs. Thanks for the input.