Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pendant above island with 8 foot ceilings?

Posted by secondhalf (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 16:37

Hi everyone- I'm becoming co-dependent on you people. Is that a symptom of TKO?
Is it a bad idea to put pendant lights above an island when we don't have high ceilings? They're only 8 feet in the kitchen (though the adjacent family room has cathedral ceilings) and I don't want to accentuate the fact that my ceilings are low. Opinions? Anyone willing to share pics?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pendant above island with 8 foot ceilings?

Here are pendants over a peninsula with 8' ceilings.

I think they're fine. Don't do anything massive, and it will look great.

o

I'm a visual person, so pictures help me decide.

Here are my pendants with 8' ceilings:
DSC08226

I agree with raenjapan, it looks good as long as they aren't massive.

o

Our island is in the middle of the kitchen and I look past it to see into the dining room (then thru a window onto the front porch). We have recessed lights so it doesn't block the view. I think it might depend on what you look at when you look past the island. Also, if you stand at the end of the island and look down the hall in our house your eyes go past the bathroom and into the guest room at the end of the hall. That is our longest sight line (for now) and I like that it isn't broken up by anything hanging from the ceiling.

So, it won't look BAD to have pendants, but you probably want to consider how they can alter e vista from the island.

o

Our ceiling is even a little less than 8' at 93'':
Photobucket
I agree that it's all a matter of scale.
HTH

o

I don't have a photo, but I have pendants with 8' ceilings and they look great.

o

I had my doubts also with 8' ceiling but we did it and I love them. I actually think they could have been bigger....

Photobucket

Our penninsula looks out into the diningroom/livingroom. I think the trick is to keep them at a proper height. They can't hang too low.

o

Pendants definitely fit an 8' ceiling.

They kinda make your ceilings look a little higher sometimes.

o

Is it possible that pendants actually look better with 8 foot ceilings? It eliminates the need for superlong stems which are not always attractive to my eye.

o

ayerg73, I love those pendants! Can you share where you got them?

o

Thanks, raenjapan - We ordered them from lighting direct. They are from Kichler - the Sayre collection. Ours is the middle size, but there are 3 sizes and two colors to choose from.

HTH!

o

Thanks so much everyone- great advice as always!
EngineerChic- leave it to the engineer to think beyond my one issue- the sightline is something I hadn't really considered but will.

o

I had similar concerns about my 8' tall ceiling plus I knew I wanted large pendants but was worried they'd look too short and stumpy. We're very happy with the end result. I did purposefully avoid solid shades, though... I felt glass gave a more "open" feel.

_MG_2626

o

leela4 your pendants are lovely - can you tell me where you got them?

o

We have 8' ceilings as well and like you, were worried. But we shouldn't have been. We love our pendants over our peninsula. Looked for mini pendants and also wanted a wire rather than a heavier pole attachment. We were careful not to hang them too low and think they look great.

o

I did pendant lights over our island and our ceilings are 8 feet. I originally wanted larger pendants but opted for the smaller size so that they wouldn't look "squatty". Here is my kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

o

We have an 8' ceiling and I worried about that very thing, too. I wanted something wider for our squarish island, but not tall so we picked a shorter profile light. The end of the island is really used only for eating, so we staggered the height and lowered that one even more to add interest. I am so glad we decided to do pendants, it really adds so much to the finished feel.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

o

Such pretty kitchens, everyone! Thanks for the eye candy!

o

I second the request to know where leela4 got those pendants!

Also, nanjeanne?

How low are all yall's pendants/how long are your wires or hanging rods?

o

This is the pendant I'm thinking about for a 7 1/2' kitchen island. Island is about 8' long. I have no other light above the island so a strong light is critical. I too want a glass feel, but not clear. I can remove some links of the upper chain and the lower 3 chains to get the height just right. I have my eye on another Hudson Valley light for over the kitchen table - different style but same chain idea.

Do you think it will look ok? I have a custom metal hood and I don't want 3 pendants to detract from it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hudson Valley Winfield pendant

o

From the bottom of our pendant to the ceiling - it's 23" (I think about 36" from peninsula). We checked it against our contractor who was over 6' and it was above his eye level so it felt right. The pendant itself is 5 5/8" and we used a small canopy because we wanted everything except the light itself to sort of disappear as much as possible.

The pendants were from Wilmette Lighting (a div. of Tech) and they are halogen. The canopy had the transformer and we put the lights on a dimmer - since full strength was quite bright. We chose them because the glass is frosted and prismatic so it diffuses the light rather than pinpoints it. That also made it easier to hang from the 8' ceilings.

o

Agree: Lots of great eye candy on this thread. What a great way to wake up...

Aokat, I would like to know what your pendants are.

I did pendants in my first kitchen reno but on this one I did chandeliers because I wanted kind of a girly thing and lots of light over the island. They hang in the line of sight across the island, but easily worked around. I still like looking at them. I also figure that if I get tired of looking around them at people they will be simple to change out.

Judging from the pictures above, even if they are "in the way" of the view, those above are definitely a wonderful part of the view.

o

I also have pendants above an island and 8 ft. ceilings. Since we have our sink in the island we hung the pendant above the sink a little higher than the other two. They are spaced apart equally from the center light but the angle of the picture makes it look otherwise.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

My pendants are Hudson Valley Pelham. They are 30" off the island top.

o

Thanks, Aokat!

o

Our pendants are Bruck Rainbow ll in turquoise. We ordered them through a local lighting store. They are 33'' from the bottom of the shade to the island, and 27'' off the bar.
Lights are hard. We went through several iterations (don't ask) before finally deciding on these.

o

No problem!

o

I am constantly awed by all the mistakes I would be making if it weren't for all the tips on this site.

Aokat-I looked at all your kitchen pics- what a beautiful job. I've been looking for a black amd white granite- yours is stunning. Do you mind telling me what it's called?

o

Thanks so much, secondhalf! My tops are Donna Sandra Marble, but they are very similar to the Super White granite that I've seen in other kitchens on here so I think there may be other names/similar stones out there. Hope this helps - good luck!

o

Thanks leela4!

o

You're welcome, annkathryn.

o

slonewby, I love those gorgeous pendants. May I ask where...?

Folks, how high about the peninsula did you hang your pendants? That's the only reason I haven't installed mine yet. I can't decide how low.

Thanks!

o

What is the distance between the siland top to the bottom of the pendant for most of you guys... i have read up here 33 and 30" so far.

Also the distance between each pendant?

o

jmith, I read that as above a table, not a countertop, which is much higher.

I can't find any recommendations online, but I like what people have come up with here.

Someone?

o

CEFreeman: I have 3 pendants over my irregular shaped island. The bottom of the pendant over the sink is 36 inches from the countertop. The bottoms of the other 2 are 30 inches above the countertop. My pendants are only 6 inches high. I raised the center pendant up 6 inches so it would be obvious that it was supposed to be higher and not an installation mistake. I thought the one above the sink should be higher to accommodate my DH who is 6ft. 3 in. tall. Didn't want him to feel like the pendant was in his face while standing at the sink. The 30 inch high pendant height seems fine to me. If you want them higher they will look fine too. I have a picture posted above so know you know what the heights are fot those pendants.

o

Thank you! That's the picture I was looking at, but without perspective, it doesn't tell me!

I can't wait to get mine up.

Christine

o

@CEFreeman: Sorry i meant from counter to bottom of pendant (island countertop -- if the island is tiered from the lower countertop).

I suppose it depends on the pendant and between 30-36" seems to be the ideal range. It would also depend on how large the pendants are so they don't look stubby if they are mounted too high.

o

Dragonfly08 I love your pendant lights. I have the same predicament. What is the total length of your lights? The ones I want are similar, but they say the minimum length is 28 inches. Where did you get your lights? Sorry for all of the questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here