Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zarko123

All white kitchen

zarko123
10 years ago

Does anyone have an all white kitchen that they love? I always thought it would look great, but my KD is warning me that it will blend in too much and the eye won't have anything to focus on.
The cabinets we ordered are glossy white and I want a white quartz countertop. I also was looking at a somewhat white glossy floor...haven't picked the backsplash yet, but I was thinking of backpainted glass maybe in white or metallic. She is saying it will all blend in too much. Some pictures I've seen seem to look good, but any thoughts and pictures would be appreciated from those that have/had an all white kitchen.

Comments (19)

• KristinF2012
    10 years ago

Done right I think it can look nice... but I tend to agree with the KD, I feel the need to have something to focus my eye on.

• KristinF2012
    10 years ago

I like the above kitchen (the view makes it!) But this kitchen... the dark floors with the white cabs make me swoon. I know the counters aren't solid white, but they are close enough.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I think the second kitchen seems more "grounded" with the darker floor. The first one is nice, but a bit cold. That's a kitchen I would probably want brass in.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

An all white kitchen will draw your eye to any little thing out on the counter. Take a look at that first posted kitchen, it is bare. And, what is there (TV) your eye is drawn to. Now imagine a single dish, or cup, or canister, or coffee maker. What do you want to showcase in your kitchen? Your coffee pot?

• tbo123
    10 years ago

I have/had an all white kitchen. It is in the middle of teardown.

It was done 20 years ago when everything was laminate so maybe not a good reference. So, yes, counters and cabs same white laminate.

It was too white for me. Or, maybe it was the same material . hard to say.

I would say, go with a different color/shade on the counter and floor and definately the wall paint.

But, then again, do what YOU like...

• ginny20
    10 years ago

From a design point of view, I think the KD is right about your eye needing somewhere to rest. From a practical point of view, even if the rest of the kitchen were white, I think you might be happier with a medium or dark floor, especially if anyone ever walks on the floor in your kitchen. ;-)

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I have an average sized all white bathroom, with grey veined white tile and Carrara mable counter and brushed nickel hardware. I find it fresh, clean, and soothing. But I think because it's a small space, the eye can pick up and focus on the light veins, the sparkle of the hardware. I think it could work in a smaller kitchen with enough veined stone, textured backsplash, etc. though it is a very stark look that I would agree needs to be kept clear and uncluttered.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Below a recent thread with pictures of all-white kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: white kitchens

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Here is a link to one of the kitchens featured in Kitchen Centric. I am very curious as to what you (all of you) think of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mick de Giulio ventures into the white realm

• taggie
    10 years ago

I recall this almost-all-white kitchen from a couple of years ago. White on white on white with the exception of a calming splash & stunning granite that was the focal point.

Personally I think it takes a special kind of masochist to want a white tile floor, but the glossy whites can look fabulous if there is at least a single focal point to draw the eye as in the kitchen here.

All white without any focals? I can't see it personally, so agree wholeheartedly with your KD.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dean_I's Glossy White Kitchen

• deedles
    10 years ago

I was absolutely focusing on the tv screen in the first pic. Love the second with the dark floors.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I haven't had an all-white kitchen, Zarko, but a pair of old friends did their entire condo in white and mirror. Lovely, and a fun place to visit, but you could literally get lost in the water closet--they had special mirror fun in there.

If this is what you like, go for it. Just do it in a way that won't cause people to pat the counter to make sure where it is. :)

Have you read about how to do all-white rooms? Collected various pictures and analyzed them carefully for what makes them work? I've read that keys to making white work are use of different textures and degrees of reflectability and creation of shadow lines and other areas. These create gentle contrasts between whites. For instance, between otherwise-flush counter and lower drawer tops might be a thin recessed line that direct light doesn't reach for a subtle but real differentiation between planes. Living rooms would be easier to do because rugs and textiles make it easier to bring in different textures. But, hey--you can bring in rugs for the floor, knubby fabric for window treatments, etc.

What kind of light do you have. Is glare an issue to be managed?

Are you sure you're communicating well with your designer? It may be that your materials are all too similar in their high gloss and textures. Sit down and talk about how to do all white beautifully, not if you should want it, and listen carefully to make sure the advice you're getting is all about creating the kitchen you want and nothing to do with the designer's own preferences.

• ice1
    10 years ago

I absolutely love Dean's glossy white kitchen, but then again I have a glossy white kitchen with kashmir white counters and floors. It is five years old and looks as good as the day it was installed.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like it but no way would I do white floors. We had a white floor in our 5x5 PR and it showed every speck..I hated it...can't imagine a big kitchen with a white floor!

• pps7
    10 years ago

Ditto on the white floors. They are a PITA. Really dark floors are almost as bad. I would do medium brown floors and everything else white.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Or you could do a gray tile floor--medium. Coordinates with the SS appliances...and is great for not showing dirt. I love mine!

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I love Dean's kitchen, but it's not the floors that I remembered - it was that incredible granite waterfall island and glass BS, neither of which is white. (I wouldn't do a shiny white floor for my family, but I live where it rains and snows a lot.) And the Mick deGiulio kitchen had dark wood floors and one dark gray counter. In the thread on white kitchens, not one was without something else - a wood counter, or wood or beige tile floors, or a lot of gray veining in the BS. Even that first picture of a totally white kitchen had the green and blue view all along the far wall.

I think if you do the whole top of the kitchen in white, but make the floor something else, as others have suggested, you'll not only have a better design, but you won't mind if guests wear shoes in your house. Someone on this forum once wisely suggested that the floor should mirror the color of the local dirt. My slate gray floor masks the road slush that gets tracked in all winter. In places like Georgia, a warmer tone in a wood or wood-look tile will hide the red clay.

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

I love an all white kitchen. I have been dreaming for years about replacing my current 20 year old white cabinets and white formica counters with crisp white painted cabinets. If I wasn't afraid of marble, the countertop decision would be simple. I just love Kristin's photos and Dean's kitchen. I find these kitchens very calming, fresh, and inviting.

Have you seen the thread I've linked here? Not only does it once again prove what we all know "that the gardenweb contributors are amazing" but it has links to two shimmery backsplashes that definitely do not blend in!

Kitchendetective lived up to her name in that post. And I do like Mick De Giulo's rendition of a white kitchen. The ceiling has just enough interest to keep it from fading away, and the white gives it a very airy feel while the brown wood anchors everything and gives it some sophistication. Paired with the vintage furniture, it's all very pretty. The only thing I'm not sure about is that boxy hood...

Which cabinets did you choose, Zarko? Keep us posted and good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shimmering backsplashes

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

I love an all white kitchen. I have been dreaming for years about replacing my current 20 year old white cabinets and white formica counters with crisp white painted cabinets. If I wasn't afraid of marble, the countertop decision would be simple. I just love Kristin's photos and Dean's kitchen. I find these kitchens very calming, fresh, and inviting.

Have you seen the thread I've linked here? Not only does it once again prove what we all know "that the gardenweb contributors are amazing" but it has links to two shimmery backsplashes that definitely do not blend in!

Kitchendetective lived up to her name in that post. And I do like Mick De Giulo's rendition of a white kitchen. The ceiling has just enough interest to keep it from fading away, and the white gives it a very airy feel while the brown wood anchors everything and gives it some sophistication. Paired with the vintage furniture, it's all very pretty. The only thing I'm not sure about is that boxy hood...

Which cabinets did you choose, Zarko? Keep us posted and good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shimmering backsplashes