Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The turmeric test

Posted by boone_2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 16:23

Turmeric is supposed to be the hardest stain to get out of kitchen counters and because I like trying out Indian recipes I was wondering if those of you with quartz counters have had any problems with turmeric or similar hard-to-get-rid-of stains.
My choices have been whittled down to: Silestone ( Lagoon , Mont Blanc); Cambria Torquay; and Cesarstone Frosty Carina.
The lovely quartzite I had set my heart on ( Amazon Pearl) has failed the test, alas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The turmeric test

Order a sample and experiment to your heart's content.

o

I tried the turmeric test on super white and it failed (even though it was sealed). If you do it, try it with turmeric and oil as well as that stains more and most indian dishes will have both fat and turmeric. Also try saffron

o

I happened to cook with fresh turmeric last weekend on my parents' white quartz (Silestone Bianco Rivers, polished, somewhat similar to Lagoon and Lyra.)

Juice from the freshly cut turmeric stayed on the counter for about 30 minutes and i was able to remove the stain with a wet sponge and soap. I had to rub a bit though, so I would not leave the stain overnight. The counters are 3 years old and free of stains. 'Honed' quartz are said to be more prone to stains though.

o

Thank you all for your helpful responses:-).
Annkh: I'm having a hard time getting samples in time ...I started late with the countertops :-( and now am maniacally posting online and doing Google searches.
To my delight, the Amazon Pearl quartzite recovered from my overnight turmeric punishment - after I scrubbed with Dove dishwashing liquid and a soft sponge. It is beautiful but I don't see it anywhere online. I asked the salesman and he said he does not know of another name for it but it is very close to Sea Pearl.
GWlolo: Good tip about oil, thanks!
Barthelemy: Thanks a lot - your post eased my mind regarding Silestone. We were set on a polished slab, whatever we choose; I didn't know that honed quartz is more prone to staining..good to know.

o

Barth - no stains on our Cambria - but it is darker and would be hard to find.

o

My dad spilled Khoreshte Aloo (Persian Tumeric Plum Chicken Stew) stew all over my Cambria Dovedale counters.

He tried cleaning it himself and not tell me.

A couple of weeks later I found a few drops here and there.

It took a lot of elbow grease but eventually I got it all.

o

a2gemini and deeageaux: Thanks for the info on Cambria.
Deeageaux, looks like your dad put in a lot of elbow grease too, if you found only a few drops later! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here