Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

98.5% Finished Kitchen ! Lots of Pictures

tinker_2006
15 years ago

(Note: I am not the best photographer!!)

We moved into our new house 5 days ago. I know some of you will recall my posts of despair... first about the sick, sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I felt I made a big mistake with the Cherry cabinets instead of the cream color I have always loved. I felt I would feel like I was living in a cave and I even had thoughts of moving in and having them painted or refaced immediately! But I am absolutely loving the Cherry! It's rich and elegant, and I think it is perfect!

Then the granite on the island.. the edge was made incorrectly, and I thought it was UGLY and way too chunky, but now that it is on, and the island is near completion, I am really starting to like it A REAL, REAL LOT! The granite situation gave me so much stress at the end of our build, with the fabricator refusing to do anything. They have however, called 2 days ago, and changed their minds, and did agree to replace it if I decided I didn't like it. (probably heard I had intended on reporting then to the BBB).

They still have to put a few cabinet pulls on, and finish up the sides of the island, but it is really just about done.

I am really loving the kitchen, and only one issue is where they put the kitchen sink (which is our fault, we did approve) and the sink shape - I don't care for it, and failed to look it up, and approved the work-order with it. It's 2' too far over, but I think we will just live with it for a while and see how it functions for us. We are not serious chef's in the kitchen by any means!

That's it - I couldn't have done this or made it through this without all of your support and guidance!!

{{gwi:1904218}}

{{gwi:1904219}}

{{gwi:1887990}}

{{gwi:1887988}}

{{gwi:1749483}}

{{gwi:1904220}}

{{gwi:1904222}}

{{gwi:1887991}}

{{gwi:1904224}}

{{gwi:1887992}}

{{gwi:1904225}}

{{gwi:1904226}}

{{gwi:1904227}}

{{gwi:1904229}}

{{gwi:1904230}}

{{gwi:1904231}}

Kitchen table - really almost matches, but I didn't do that on purpose! We have a new one ordered 9 weeks ago, that is on it's way to us. Hope it works!

Cabinets: Made by cabinet shop (they make the boxes, and order doors, hood and trim from Conestoga Wood).

Granite: Golden Oak/Madura Gold

Backslash: Dal-tile Sienna Gold travertine

Floors: Mahogany, by Anderson

Sink: Kindred Estate

Faucets: Kohler Fairfax

Pendant over island: Savoy House "Marion"

Refrigerator: Jenn Air French Door

Cook-top: 36" GE Induction

Ovens: GE Profile: Advantium & Convection

Paint: Kitchen is Porter "Rich Amber" Breakfast area is SW Blonde.

Comments (62)

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's gorgeous! I love the glass on the island doors, cup pulls, and yes that "mistake" island edge. Enjoy, and now you'll be inspired to be a gourmet cook!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone!

iris16, the distance is 39" (I just measures - from cabinet front to cabinet front. Feels like just the right amount - not too tight and not too big.

rmlanza, your memory AMAZES me!!! I can hardly remember a thing! Yes, you're right - and I have to admit, I like my kitchen better than the model's!

The Model:

{{gwi:1904232}}

{{gwi:1904233}}

bellsrus, I was wondering if I should keep that "X" mark on the island end panel, but I know that everyone here would encourgae me to replace it with a real end panel, so I am !

malhgold, I will be curious too!

bluekitobsessed, "and now you'll be inspired to be a gourmet cook" that is indeed asking for a miracle to happen... it ain't gonna happen!! LOL

• thankurnmo
    15 years ago

Wow- you must be so delighted!!
    Great job (and for what it's worth, your version is much nicer than the inspiration model. Really!)

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

Yup, that was it! I remembered because I really liked the brick, but seeing yours compared to the model...yours is 10,000 times better! The model looks unfinished with just that console table sitting there. Great job adding in that extra run of cabinets/hutch area. It really completes the look. And look how much your island just pops compared to the model. You have great vision! You just need a towel pig to complete the look! ;o)

• iris16
    15 years ago

Thanks for the measurements!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

My first thought on looking at the pics was "What an incredible granite island top!", Second thought, "Those cherry cabinets look really rich and elegant." Your kitchen turned out beautifully. Very warm and inviting. Isn't it funny how sometimes the things we second guess become our favorites?

Can I ask you for additional measurements as well? The depth and length of your island. The length and width of your kitchen. Also, is your fridg, the 42 foot Kitchen Aid built in?

• bethv
    15 years ago

Holy buckets is that beautiful!!!! That island is stunning!! So dramatic and elegant. This is the kitchen we would have if we have more space and light. You far exceed the model : ) Congratulations!

• yolande_1951
    15 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen, Tinker.
    So can you put any custom handles on the fridge?

I see that there is absolutely no gap at the top between the fridge and the upper cabinet. What did you put there, and why is it not a problem for ventilation. It really looks built in!!!

Thanks and enjoy,

Judy

• sdionnemoore
    15 years ago

LOVELY! You've helped me stick to my decision to go with that dark stain on perimeter with a cream island.

What is your wall color?

• tgpdd
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. The cabinets are beautiful and the whole thing is just lovely.

• teddas
    15 years ago

Very well thought of and put together, I think the beefy island granite looks custom, definately gives a heavy feel to the gorgeous kitchen.
    You must be pleased!!!

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Tinker: Your kichen is beautiful! You should be very proud of what you've accomplished. I especially love your backsplash. I'm getting 4X4 porcelain tiles that look like your travertine. It really gives me a good idea of how to set them. I like how you started with the first row "square" and then went with the tiles on the diagnal. Really sharp!
    Barb

• holligator
    15 years ago

Great job! I love how the island turned out, and I'm so glad you like it now. Everything is just beautiful!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I remember the model kitchen and you working on the hutch idea (Amazingly good catch, Robin!). So nice to see another kitchen that we saw in the planning stage. I love hefty counters and think stone should look like stone, so I join chorus of those who say your island top looks fantastic and very impressive. Like Malhgold, I think visitors will really notice it. It anchors the island and gives it a real presence and makes the kitchen unique. I have to say I am not this style at all, but I think the whole thing is gorgeous and keep going back to the photos to look. Love the hutch, too. Enjoy!

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

Wow - That is absolutely amazing. I am having stained cherry installed the beginning of July, and I was starting to get worried about whether I was doing the right thing. Your kitchen has brought my confidence back!

And I absolutely love the 'thick' granite on the island. I agree with a previous poster that it sets the island off nicely from the rest of the kitchen as a piece of furniture. WOW. I've bookmarked your pictures for future reference. Thanks so much for sharing.

Do you know what your pulls and knobs are? I am working on deciding what to do and really like how the cups are used on the top row, and knobs below that. Thanks again!

• queenofmycastle0221
    15 years ago

I'm drooling! I absolutely love it!

Alicia

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am just TICKLED with the feedback! There were so many nights that this kitchen ran through my head... giving me countless sleepless nights! So many decisions!

The paint is Porters Paint "Rich Amber"
    The pulls are Liberty cup pulls and knobs. I have about 40 round knobs that were first put on and I replaced as they were just too big. These smaller ones are Liberty too, and I found them at Home Depot!

The refrigerator is the counter-depth Jenn-Air. They were able to attach custom handles on it pretty easy after they gave the project some thought. The built in look was just completed by adding a light valance to the cabinet. I think it will have plenty of ventilation as the cabinet is not on top of it, it is hollow.

Barb, glad you like the design... I think that the back splash added such a BANG to the kitchen - I was amazed watching it transform.

You all notice all the little details, I am so impressed! I guess that was what helped me most when I was doing this kitchen. Looking at others and reading the comments always made me go back and take a second look.

suzatwork, I was SO SO worried! If you go back and find some of my old posts, you will see! Even as the cabinet boxes were installed, I was in a panic! But once the doors and such started to go on and other finish pieces were completed, it started to "come together". I am so enjoying our new home (more house photo's will follow phoggie, once I clear the mess!! LOL).

• morton5
    15 years ago

Congratulations on moving into your new home. I've never built and can't imagine the number of decisions you had to make. No wonder you were second guessing some of them, or were worried that your directions hadn't been followed. Everything turned out FABULOUS! Hope you have many happy times there.

• aussies
    15 years ago

First of all, your kitchen is absolutely beautiful!!!! I remember your post about worrying about the dark cabinets, partly because I was worrying about that at the time too. We haven't even started demo yet, but did end up ordering dark cherry cabinets. So thank you for posting such a beautiful, inspirational non-white kitchen :) Even though my cabinets are a different style, it really makes me feel so much better about them! Also, I'm completely in love with your backsplash. Your whole kitchen has turned out fabulously -- you must be so relieved! Congratulations!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

It's beautiful.

• jujybean
    15 years ago

As cool as the display home kitchen is, yours blows it away. I think your island is to die for. Don't change a thing...well maybe the x

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

Wow Tinker! I loved the kitchen in your old house, and the new one is different and just as beautiful! Your Granite is gorgeous, and the hutch is just what I have been wanting. I really like how you mixed up the cabinet hardware too, the scale looks great with the drawers. Enjoy your new kitchen and if you are not cooking in it much at least you are not messing it up!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I am so glad you posted lots of pictures. It is BEEE--UUUU--TTTTT---FUL! I love it! So rich and elegant looking. Needs to be on Rate My Space. So pretty. Congrats on all your hard work, blood, sweat and tears. So worth it!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

WOW! And you have your BS in already too!

Guess that's one advantage of moving into a new house over a never-ending reno, you expect things to be all done BEFORE you move in!

I'd pop in for a glass of wine any day- and feel quite comfortable!

So, what kind of table is replacing the almost perfect match?

• lily1342
    15 years ago

A really really beautiful traditonal kitchen!!! I am totally in love with your island and your hutch. These 2 big gorgeous pieces really do add a lot of distinctive individuality to your kitchen. I love the granite you chose too - a perfect choice for both the island and the cherry perimeter cabs. I agree, the thick top on the island just seems to belong there. The fact that it's different from the other c-tops underlines the stand-out character of it, I think.

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Tinker,
    I think your kitchen is absolutely elegant & beautiful.
    I especially love the hutch & island. I really feel the granite edge is stunning, a very positive mistake imo. I am so glad you are beginning to feel it and see how beautiful it is.
    Enjoy!!!!

• stiles
    15 years ago

I really like the slab on your island. It looks ready for some serious prep work! I also like your wall color. It complements your entire kitchen perfectly. Enjoy your kitchen and it's uniqueness!

Melinda

• blackeyedpeas
    15 years ago

AHHH, that is my dream kitchen and exactly the look I was going for. My vision got knocked off course and we went in an entirely different direction...
    Everything is perfect for that kitchen, I agree with all the sentiments about the island(gorgeous), hutch(impressive), cabinet colors(elegant),backsplash(wonderful), wall color(perfect), I could go on and on...
    Your kitchen turned out light years ahead of the model kitchen and the best news is now you can get a good nights sleep. Enjoy!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

It's just beautiful! Enjoy it!!! :-)

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

Stunning! In fact, I like your kitchen so much, I posted it to my clippings. I'd like to have a custom wood hood like yours. Hope that's o.k.?

• sedeno77
    15 years ago

Looks wonderful - love the island - love the colors - ENJOY!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again everyone, your comments means so much!

boysrus2, wow - thank you, and buy all means use the hood. I just feel good to be able to give back to this great forum!

• cantmakeadecision
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely lovely. I'm working on finishing mine - in a new house and am really on a deadline to choose the cabinet glass. Would you tell me what kind of glass is in yours? Looking at a little 4x4 sample of the glass types isn't really helping me much, so I'm looking around at the posts here!

Thanks for sharing!

• vwhippiechick
    15 years ago

So warm and lovely. Great job. It is surprising how those "disasters" seem to turn into assets once everything comes together. I love the island granite and the "chunky" feel of it. Congrats.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cantmakeadecision, it is called seeded glass! Hope that helps.

• sdionnemoore
    15 years ago

Tinker, I just had to look at your kitchen again and noticed your bullnose corners! Can I get a close-up of a bullnose corner and the ceiling trim? I noticed they cut like a little wedge to get the trim to round out but would like a closer look. I love the idea of bullnose over corner bead and think it's one of those little touches that adds so much of a custom feel.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

As one of the nay-sayers on keeping the *chunky* island top I have to say it looks great now that it's all together. No one would ever know it wasn't planned! Your kitchen is beautiful. Enjoy your new house.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sdionnemoore, battery is charging - I'll snap those pictures for you tomorrow (might be in the afternoon) I'll post them in this thread - so keep an eye on it! I too love how they do the trim - it adds a real nice touch.

• yolande_1951
    15 years ago

Hi Tinker,

is there a particular way to install the custom handles on the
    fridge or something I should know about it?

Thanks,
    judy

• lisa226
    15 years ago

STUNNING BEAUTIFUL KITCHEN!! ENJOY IT..

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Glad to see you've come around to the "right" side on that island edge :)

So you backed your way into a beautiful final product! Could be worse ways to back--turn around and give yourself a pat on the shoulder :)

• sdionnemoore
    15 years ago

TIA, Tinker. One other question for you. How does one transition paint colors from room to room working with a bullnose corner?

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

Simply Gorgeous!!! Love it!

The island slab edge is beautiful! Looks like a lovely, big rustic chunk of stone to roll pastries on, or enjoy a tray of cheeses and a glass of wine!!!

Enjoy!

• phoggie
    15 years ago

Tinker~
    I hope you post pics of the rest of your beautiful house. When you do, which forum will you post them on? Looking forward to seeing them~~

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sdionnemoore, I posted the pictures in the decorating forum - hope they help!

Judy, the instructions from Jenn- Air are not that great! Lucky DH installed our last doors so he was helpful explaining things to the cabinet installer. The custom panels were made large enough to cover the outside stainless trim (old house they were smaller and that trim showed - I like it this way better). The door require a 1/4" backer board, which they veneered to be finished on the exposed edge. These side into the Stainless "grooves". I am not sure if the drilled the holes for the handles through the custom door AND the backer board - or if just through the custom doors. I think it was just through the doors but I will ask when the installer returns this week. I think they had to either screw or glue the custom panels onto the 1/4" backer board. Everything is nice and tight, no wiggle at all.

Hope these pictures help.

{{gwi:1904234}}

{{gwi:1904237}}

phoggie, I hope to be posting a few photo's of the house in just a couple days! I'll be posting them on the building forum, and I know I'll direct a few over on the decorating board as well! I am almost unpacked - needs lots of decorating, blinds, etc... but I'll get there!

Thanks again everyone, your comments mean so much - especially about my mistake edge on the island!

• starpooh
    15 years ago

Hi Tinker ~ I don't know how I missed your beautifully elegant kitchen.
    May I archive it in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the Category Checklist.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• rosalita
    15 years ago

Your entire kitchen is beyond beautiful. Just love it! Congrats on a well done job !

• reneeharris1
    15 years ago

I don't know HOW I missed this absolutley STUNNING kitchen! Tinker, you have done such a great job! I would love for you to post some additional pictures of your surrounding spaces - I'm sure they are equally beautiful and I am intrigued to see how they all tie together. And since my not-complete kitchen is an almost identical color scheme, I'd love to get a few ideas! (How's that for selfish!!) :-) Again, awesome job!!!

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

I missed this post too. So glad it all worked out beautifully for you!

• mommyto4boys
    15 years ago

Tinker, your home is beautiful, I've been watching your family room progression too. It is so awesome and rich and so much better than the model. I too had the dilema of not going with cream perimeter cabinets (dh really wanted cherry). So we compromised on the cherry and cream island, colors are very similar to yours. Our kitchens are different as you are making me jealous:) Eventually I'll be posting pictures.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner